1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tales from today's commute....

Discussion in 'Commuting and Utility Cycling' started by martint235, 28 Jun 2012.

1. J1888

J1888 Senior Member

Echo the two posters above - very wet - less numpties than this morning aside from one cyclist who decided to pull out in front of me, forcing me to squeeze the brakes as hard as I thought was wise in such wet weather

2. prawny

prawny Active Member

No rain yesterday afternoon in the midlands, quite the opposite infact. It was fairly warm riding in, and I was expecting the same but it was down to 1.5degs and I was in thin gloves long sleeve base layer and LS jersey, shorts and leg warmers. Just my office socks and toe covers on my shoes.

Wasn't too bad as I was pressing on, but my tootsies were cold.

Warm again this mornin, thinking there's going to be a headwind from hell on the way home. Still, looks even worse tomorrow so I'll hold back a bit.

3. Sixmile

Sixmile Senior Member

Thumb shifter has been playing up on my commuter so cycled the first few miles unable to engage the large chainring, meaning I was spinning at any hint of a downhill. I wasn't expecting that much of a headwind either, so hopefully it stays the same until my ride back.

4. cyberknight

cyberknight Guru

1 foot away from bonnet surfing last night, car pulled out of a driveway and didnt pay enough attention or thought they could make it , cue a very load shout from me and a judicious application of brake and swerve.
    Apology ? dont be daft , it was even a badly stereotyped brand of car driver not known for indicator use.

Arjimlad and Lonestar like this.
  5. Simontm

Simontm Über Member

Both in and out there were loads of cars. What? Why? Did they all forget the strike was yesterday? Confused. Quick ride back and cut through Richmond Park as the fastest route. Bloke overtook me then I took him and...that was that. Didn't know if he burnt himself out or what but weird experience for me. Usually I get overtaken by that type and that's that :laugh:
    Numpty count: 0

6. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

I had the very same tonight but with a van, I surprised myself by how calm I remained.

7. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

Today I was was cycling out of a dead end road (well for cars) and I noticed the car coming the opposite way had the area in front of the driver covered with sticky tape with various messages written on it! :eek: (An area 50 cm sq was covered by these strips).

Realised he was turning and coming back I decided I preferred to watch him pass from the safety of the pavement.

Arjimlad likes this.
  8. tallliman

tallliman Über Member

Tired commute into a headwind today. The tailwind on the way home however was rendered useless by a complete lack of power in my legs. Frustrating really, easily my slowest commute in a while and not helped by the poor visibility due to the mizzle.

9. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

The drizzle was really weird tonight. Brilliant shining moon with a lot of clear sky but I got soaked without it really raining.

greekonabike likes this.
  10. tallliman

tallliman Über Member

@Supersuperleeds, not sure I'd even go as far as saying I got too wet. It just was in the air and on my glasses. A right pain!

11. Smithbat

Smithbat Spring is just around the corner.....

My journey this morning was pre sun up and pre idiot/muppets. This evening the only idiots I encountered were cyclists with no lights on! After 12 hours looking at the screen as it is month end my patience began to wear thin! I still know that I feel so much better having cycled home than I would if I had driven.

12. cyberknight

cyberknight Guru

Spin that around for a head/sidewind just now coming home , getting blown about on the back lanes.

13. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One.....

Bah! Checked ttres before taking bike out back door, all good. Walk out front door, back tyre flat :angry:
    So commute today was by van. I am in debt to myself for 17 miles and now behind target to boot. Not happy:sad:

14. Gez73

Gez73 Über Member

Crazy windy this morning. Headwind all the way in. Managed some fantastic unintentional trackstands!! Take care out there. Gez

Smithbat likes this.
  15. Smithbat

Smithbat Spring is just around the corner.....

A lovely headwind today but a distinct feeling of satisfaction too. Due to roadworks and a burst water main, Aylesbury is at a complete standstill, I sailed past it all smiling smugly until I nearly hit a pedestrian looking at his phone and not where he was going. Grrrrrr
    Numpty count - 1