Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
As usual we are the lucky ones here in the South East. We had the rain during the day so missed it on both workwards and homewards.
Speak for yourself! I got soaked both ways!!

Today nothing really other than a lot of overdressed cyclists crossing my route on the A21. I'd be a little pool of sweat when I got to work if I wore that much.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
To the roadie who had to brake behind me on the railway path this morning as I was overtaking a pedestrian:

You are an idiot. I know what you were attempting - trying to squeeze past me as I was overtaking. You were going way too fast. Frankly, I would have laughed at you if you came off as it was your own fault. And then I would have been morally obliged to give you some first aid.....unfortunately:evil:. I hope you heard my rant as you sped off and yes, I saw you overtake the female cyclist in the curve at the S bend in Clay Bottom. You wouldn't do that in a car, so learn to slow down....fool. Rant over.

captain nemo1701

I wasn't feeling to great today either, then it rained on me and I had to deal with the twit mentioned above. I'm just getting fed up of some guys - sorry people, I have nothing against roadies really, but some foolish twonks speed down the railway path as if it's a racetrack.

rivers

How far can I go?
I wasn't feeling to great today either, then it rained on me and I had a bit of cycling - age with the fool I mentioned above. I'm just getting fed up of some- sorry people, I have nothing against roadies really, but some foolish guys speed down the railway path as if it's a racetrack.

That does drive me up the wall as well. If the path is quiet, then you can speed along as much as you like. But, commuting time, it's not quiet. On a nice afternoon, especially during half term and the summer holidays, it's the dodge the pedestrian/dog/child.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
To the roadie who had to brake behind me on the railway path this morning as I was overtaking a pedestrian:

You are an idiot. I know what you were attempting - trying to squeeze past me as I was overtaking. You were going way too fast. Frankly, I would have laughed at you if you came off as it was your own fault. And then I would have been morally obliged to give you some first aid.....unfortunately:evil:. I hope you heard my rant as you sped off and yes, I saw you overtake the female cyclist in the curve at the S bend in Clay Bottom. You wouldn't do that in a car, so learn to slow down....fool. Rant over.
Really? People take moral obligations seriously?? Just roll him over so he's not in anyone else's way

captain nemo1701

Really? People take moral obligations seriously?? Just roll him over so he's not in anyone else's way
I'm a first -aider at work and have on two occasions had to dispense some on the railway path. I've often wondered how that chap I treated near Morrison's fared. He came off, whacked is head on a handrail up some steps and had a nasty gash in his shin. Luckily, he was wearing a helmet. That was on my 8am commute. The other time was at night on the way home when an irresponsible dog owner allowed his pet to run onto the path causing a female cyclist to come off. Luckily, she was not hurt (said dog owner vanished while I was tending to her - b*gger could have apologised!).

I suppose I often feel morally obliged to do the right thing.

prawny

Hard going this morning, bit of a headwind but I really struggled.

The reason became clear when I was putting my bike away at work, the (new) wheel had slipped in the dropouts, and the rear disc had been rubbing for potentially the whole way in. Great.

Looking forward to an easier ride home, should have a bit of a tailwind too.

Sixmile

Veteran
I debuted my Giro Rumble VR shoes for the ride in this morning, as I needed a pair of shoes I can ride in and walk in. Rode into work 13 miles, they felt ok, shower worked today (hooray), got changed into slightly more work-like clothes and rode off for my first ever site visit on the bike. Now back in the office and the shoes are performing admirably!

Slick

Guru
I don't post in this section much, and when I do its mostly a bit of a moan and this one's no different. It's just when you think you have slid into a good routine and you are pretty much aware of most of the potential problems en route, your left feeling like you have just done 3 rounds with Tyson. I had a great run down to work today, new bike is running well and the weather was finally slightly above freezing for the first morning in what feels like a long time. I was ready sharp to leave work when the boss decided it would be a good time for a chat which left me about 20 minutes late leaving work. I pretty much immediately noticed the volume in traffic was much increased from what I've become accustomed too, but wasn't overly concerned. I was then subjected to a constant flow of chancers trying to squeeze past me at pinch points, only realising at the last moment there wasn't room for both of us. The roundabouts were a nightmare, as each driver refused to even acknowledge my existence as they held their normal line leaving no space whatsoever. The only solace, is when I cycle past each and every one of them when their stuck in traffic just a few miles later.
Genuinely starting to think this commuting malarkey might not be for me.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
May have been passed by @I like Skol in the traffic queue near Stepping Hill tonight at about 6pm. I was in the car.
Was this when I bunny hopped across the traffic island at Dialstone lane or when squeezing past the foreign truck that was performing a late right turn into Bramhall Morr Lane from the left lane because he was lost? Would have been about 6.10 and I was hatless on the hybrid with single pannier on the right :okay:

Top Bottom