Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Helmet cam alert: Not because it's a camera on my helmet but the driver involved is a total helmet:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A glorious sunny 10 miles in today.

I did not let it be spoilt by
  • a taxi driver who pulled out with me to my right, as I turned right out of a T-junction & then stayed about a foot beside me for the next 50 yards (I got there first!)
  • a couple of close-passing cars
  • someone at the back of a traffic queue who inverted mirror-signal-manoeuvre & nearly took me out

rivers

How far can I go?
Okay, I'm done with summer, the temperature can go back down to 18 or 19. Other than that, a nice ride home yesterday and ride in today. Although, I am a bit gutted for one of my mates. I cycled past the cycle park where she keeps her bike locked up (she's a student, and lives in digs, so keeps it locked at a university building near her place), and someone nicked the front wheel off of it. I think I'm more pissed about it than I should be as I gave her the bike when I bought my new one. It's not expensive by any means, a Jamis X1 I bought back in 2011 when I first moved to the UK, but she does use it quite a bit to cycle into Bath and back for work so she doesn't need to pay for parking. I'm now on the lookout for a new wheel for her. I hate people

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Okay, I'm done with summer, the temperature can go back down to 18 or 19. Other than that, a nice ride home yesterday and ride in today. Although, I am a bit gutted for one of my mates. I cycled past the cycle park where she keeps her bike locked up (she's a student, and lives in digs, so keeps it locked at a university building near her place), and someone nicked the front wheel off of it. I think I'm more pissed about it than I should be as I gave her the bike when I bought my new one. It's not expensive by any means, a Jamis X1 I bought back in 2011 when I first moved to the UK, but she does use it quite a bit to cycle into Bath and back for work so she doesn't need to pay for parking. I'm now on the lookout for a new wheel for her. I hate people
I have a 700 c front hybrid wheel if it's any use, free to a good home ? Will need tyre & tube (hang on, I think I have a 700 x 28c tyre which might fit it..)

si_c

Guru
Glorious warm weather commute this evening, slight tailwind too!!! Averaged just over 21mph too, so bonus. Cream crackered though.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Why is it you can go weeks with no incidents or minor ones that merit nothiing more than a shake of the head, then you have a few major ones in a matter of days? Does the good weather bring out the worst in people?

After Sunday's near miss, today there were another two very close ones. This morning I was approachng a roudabout where I turn right and the driver of a red Suzuki coming from the left didn't even look, let alone slow down while going straight on. Having seen them approach, I was already covering the brakes and managed to stop with the car passing about a foot or so from my front wheel:eek:. Then on the way home a BMW X6 pulled out of a side road on the right without looking, straight into where I would have been if hadn't been for good brakes again!

Took the annoyance out on an extended 36 mile route home in the lovely warm sunshine.

Beautiful day all round. 3,000 miles for the year completed and my quickest ride in to date!

13 rider

Guru
Beautiful day all round. 3,000 miles for the year completed and my quickest ride in to date!
Must have been something in the air I did my longest commute to date 18 miles and was over 15mph which I rarely do on the hybrid and didn't think I tried that hard . Nice to be in shorts in the morning

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have reported another driver to the police. She is a repeat offender as far as I am concerned.

On 4th May she turned right into a junction alongside me as I turned left into it, and had to drive along on the wrong side of the road. I just laughed at that although it was lucky there was nobody coming the other way.

Last night though, she overtook me into oncoming traffic & forced the driver to brake to avoid hitting her, and then as I took off from the lights having filtered to the front, she overtook me where there really was no room to do so safely, and got extremely close. All this with her little lad in the back.

I hope that on reviewing the footage someone will be able to go & have a word in her shell-like about giving cyclists space.

Long time since I posted in this thread as nothing note worthy has happened and I am happy to report nothing that may damage my person has happened today. Glorious commute today, sunshine, tailwind no numpties. Ran into a old adversary of my age instead of beating the cack out of each other we put our usual competitiveness to one side and we chatted for the last 6 miles. He had just come back from Majorca from a training camp, he is a sportive "Grand Fondo" type of person and is training for the UCI Grand Fondo World Championships in Perth, he gets in every year and is a tough old character. Still managed a 18.9 mph average despite the chatting.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Last night though, she overtook me into oncoming traffic & forced the driver to brake to avoid hitting her, and then as I took off from the lights having filtered to the front, she overtook me where there really was no room to do so safely, and got extremely close. All this with her little lad in the back.

I hope that on reviewing the footage someone will be able to go & have a word in her shell-like about giving cyclists space.

Ive seen something similar while out on a drive with my dad. She almost forced another car off the road.

Unfortunately for her she was SoL and the person she forced to the the kerb was a policeman in an unmarked vehicle. So he put on the blues'n'twos and went after her as she shot off

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have an apology to make to the cycling community in general. :sad:
This morning I had an interaction with Mr Angry and pushed his buttons, resulting in exactly the reaction I was expecting!

It all started a few sets of lights earlier when he pulled up in the far right lane at a gyratory system, 90s techno music blasting and then zoomed away from the lights, before cutting left in front of the 4 or 5 cars that had queued in the correct lane and then abruptly stopping at the back of a line of cars waiting to leave at the next exit. I filtered down the right side of the queue and neatly slotted in just in front of Mr Angry just as the traffic got a green and began to move. It was a very tidy move, there was lots of time to perform the manoeuvre without getting close to, or surprising anyone. Partway around the next corner, several car lengths later, Mr Angry's brain eventually began to clunk into action and he suddenly realised I had just done to him what he had done to the other traffic a short moment earlier, and that's not fair because he's supposed to be in front at the back of the queue of cars ahead! At this point cue a loud and obnoxious display of his indignation with lots of horn blasting and shouty swearing out of his open windows. One comment he made that I would have loved to have had more time to discuss was that 'It's d!ckhead cyclists like you that get run over'! I would like to hear him explain how, when I knew where he was, he knew where I was and the only way he was going to run me over was to crash into the back of the car in front. Basically, my only danger in that situation was that my presence and actions caused Mr Angry to flip and drive into me on purpose (I know this is a possibility in light of recent high profile cases :ohmy:).
Anyway, a bit of lighthearted fun for me, all in a days work as it were and I wouldn't normally dwell on such an incident and certainly wouldn't deem it worthy of taking the time to post on here, but!
As I rode away thinking to myself what an obnoxious Neanderthal he was it dawned on me that I had just wound him up to breaking point before sending him on his way in his metal killing machine. This is the reason for my apology. He clearly has an issue with other road users and particularly 'd!ckhead cyclists' and I realise I may have just set him up to take out his hatred on the next cyclist he encounters. I hope not and I'm sorry :sad:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Ive seen something similar while out on a drive with my dad. She almost forced another car off the road.

Unfortunately for her she was SoL and the person she forced to the the kerb was a policeman in an unmarked vehicle. So he put on the blues'n'twos and went after her as she shot off

What is SoL ? :smile:

Top Bottom