Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well that was a wet commute home. An hour later and I was walking though the door wetter then a duck's danglies.
I did start off with the Montaine jacket but soon got too hot so off that came. It was still quite muggy and the rain wasn't cold.
There was so much standing water on the road and huge puddles everywhere. One by a bus stop I cycled through, legs in the air shouting YEEEHAAAAAWWW. Some one at the bus stop shouted back.. Nice one mate!

For a very, and I mean, very wet commute, it was actually jolly good fun.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well that was a wet commute home. An hour later and I was walking though the door wetter then a duck's danglies.
I did start off with the Montaine jacket but soon got too hot so off that came. It was still quite muggy and the rain wasn't cold.
There was so much standing water on the road and huge puddles everywhere. One by a bus stop I cycled through, legs in the air shouting YEEEHAAAAAWWW. Some one at the bus stop shouted back.. Nice one mate!

For a very, and I mean, very wet commute, it was actually jolly good fun.

Same here apart from by the time I got home I was cold, especially top half and hands, extra long shower to warm up was in order.

gaijintendo

Veteran
When I was making my way in today, it was super windy and rainy (seems I am not alone reading up the way).
After saying my helloes to the cleaning staff in the lift, I turned to check I wasn't looking to unkempt in the lift mirror and noticed I had lots of white patches on my face. It looked like vitiligo initially, but I merely plastered in pear blossom.
The end.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Beautiful sunny commute, I extended it to 12 miles as I managed to get out of the house a bit earlier than usual..

Had a little pitstop to take off a jacket and tighten a mudguard bolt.. looking back this was the view.
170518(2).jpg

Earlier on in the ride I came across Stacey apparently with a phone in her left hand. Wondered if she was on the phone to her Mum ?

170518.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Puncture on the way home tonight, there is something perversely satisfying about fixing them and getting back on your way. Though I wouldn't have thought that last night in the rain :rolleyes:

A lovely day commuting today. Woke up a little early and thought immediately of riding my bike. A lovely 32 miles into work down some new roads and a standard ride back home.

Weekly target of 100miles ticked off in the only 2 days riding I'll get this week. Cheered me up no end!

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Had my first ever punishment overtake by a cyclist today. Riding in secondary and next thing I know some bloke in full lycra whips past a few microns from my handlebars, cuts immediately back in and then cycled about 10cm from the edge of the road whilst car after car passed him without bothering to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic.

I assume he intended to prove a point!

rivers

How far can I go?
Two close passes by the same van on my way into work yesterday, a Sidcot school van. One pass was about 6 inches away, and the other he cut inches in front of me to get into the bus lane. Still debating about whether or not to contact the school. Other than that, a pleasant ride in. Ride home was a bit tough as I was absolutely shattered. But, I made it home nonetheless.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well I thought it was going to be a very wet commute this morning. After yesterdays torrential downpour for the whole journey home, the weather reports were saying the same for this morning. Luckily it seems I found a dry window and the commute was actually very pleasant. Even seeing the sun made a brief appearance. Half day at work today so hopefully I can get home in the dry too. But looking out the window, it's not looking likely.

Ciar

Veteran
Ride home Wednesday was powerful, completely soaked through even mah winter booties!

this morning different story and nice ride in, i know this evening it's supposed to rain again but i have contented myself to the fact it's Friday ;-)

John_S

Über Member
It was a wet commute home last night as well as in this morning but it wasn't the complete downpours forecast so that meant it didn't feel too bad.

But it was a rubbish commute in terms of the close passes. On the rural section of my commute I had two not great close passes on single track roads.

However another close pass that I suffered was really dodgy because they came up close behind me almost touching and then basically forced their way past. It was a blue ford estate and I recognised it because it has a "Think Biker" sticker in the back window and I've had about a dozen close passes or dangerous manoeuvres from this same car in about the last 6 months.

I don't use any kind of camera and so unfortunately I don't have any documentary video evidence to hand over to the police. However this situation is really bugging me because they're driving is so dangerous & inconsiderate every single time I see them that I feel it's only a matter of time before they knock either me or somebody else off.

I'm pretty sure, based on where I've seen them turn off from their commute, that they must either study or work at the University of East Anglia (UEA) but I don't know what to do next because I really do feel that they are endangering the lives of other road users.

Clearly despite them displaying a "Think Bike" sticker in their car window this thought & courtesy extends no further than motorcyclists only and so other car drivers, cyclists and pedestrians are of no importance whatsoever to this person and they are free to endanger other peoples lives by driving dangerously & inconsiderately.

Sorry for the long rant but it felt like something I need to get off my chest because as you can probably tell I'm pretty exacerbated by regularly seeing such dangerous driving by the same person.

Clanghead

Two close passes by the same van on my way into work yesterday, a Sidcot school van. One pass was about 6 inches away, and the other he cut inches in front of me to get into the bus lane. Still debating about whether or not to contact the school. Other than that, a pleasant ride in. Ride home was a bit tough as I was absolutely shattered. But, I made it home nonetheless.

Do it. After 3 close passes (not as bad as your experience) by the same local school minibus in a few weeks, I lost patience and contacted the headmaster to ask him politely to send his driver on a training course. I had a very polite and apologetic letter back, explaining that the driver was a retired volunteer and they'd not had complaints before, yadda yadda - anyway, next time I saw the minibus, the driver gave me plenty of space.

Slick

Guru
It was a wet commute home last night as well as in this morning but it wasn't the complete downpours forecast so that meant it didn't feel too bad.

But it was a rubbish commute in terms of the close passes. On the rural section of my commute I had two not great close passes on single track roads.

However another close pass that I suffered was really dodgy because they came up close behind me almost touching and then basically forced their way past. It was a blue ford estate and I recognised it because it has a "Think Biker" sticker in the back window and I've had about a dozen close passes or dangerous manoeuvres from this same car in about the last 6 months.

I don't use any kind of camera and so unfortunately I don't have any documentary video evidence to hand over to the police. However this situation is really bugging me because they're driving is so dangerous & inconsiderate every single time I see them that I feel it's only a matter of time before they knock either me or somebody else off.

I'm pretty sure, based on where I've seen them turn off from their commute, that they must either study or work at the University of East Anglia (UEA) but I don't know what to do next because I really do feel that they are endangering the lives of other road users.

Clearly despite them displaying a "Think Bike" sticker in their car window this thought & courtesy extends no further than motorcyclists only and so other car drivers, cyclists and pedestrians are of no importance whatsoever to this person and they are free to endanger other peoples lives by driving dangerously & inconsiderately.

Sorry for the long rant but it felt like something I need to get off my chest because as you can probably tell I'm pretty exacerbated by regularly seeing such dangerous driving by the same person.
Mmm, good luck with that one. Not sure what the police could do with a report like that.

Top Bottom