Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Had a nice tow for a mile by a guy on an E bike tonight . I was doing 16mph and he just cruised by so quick acceleration and I on his wheel now doing 20 mph with less effort so 2 of us had some E assistance . Thanked him for the tow at the island where we went our separate ways .

Honour dictates that you should have blown him into the weeds ^_^

13 rider

Guru
Honour dictates that you should have blown him into the weeds ^_^
On my heavy hybrid with rack and pannier he was safe but I'd have left him for dead on the roadie :rolleyes:. He is a nice guy and not smug he just uses it to get to work and back and admits he's no great cyclist.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After a bit of time away, a couple of cracking commutes to ease me back into routine. The Raleigh was used and the weather was fabulous with hardly any wind yesterday and a light headwind this morning but a strong tailwind this evening.

15+mph averages for the rides both days and I don't even feel too bothered about the motoring numpies that were encountered.:okay:

Dec66

On my heavy hybrid with rack and pannier he was safe but I'd have left him for dead on the roadie :rolleyes:. He is a nice guy and not smug he just uses it to get to work and back and admits he's no great cyclist.
A few weeks back I was pulling away from the lights uphill, in the wrong gear as usual (Denmark Hill, just past KCH, for those who know the area), and as I'm struggling to turn the crank a fella passed me, which obviously I didn't think was unusual... Until I watched him coasting up the hill without pedalling. It was such a bizarre sight, at first glance, like that episode of Doctor Who where the Dalek floats up the stairs.

It then clicked that he was on an eBike, and I wasn't having any of that cheating malarkey, so I chased him down and went past him, pumping away for all I was worth.

Honour restored, I thought, as I tried to blot out the lactic burn in my legs.

"Nobber", he probably thought, as he continued to coast along regardless.^_^

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Oh FFS...
Bugger.jpg

Signs have appeared all over Felixstowe, Walton & Trimley this morning - all on roads that are in good condition. Never mind fixing all the potholes elsewhere. They did the road that leads to my road this afternoon.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The commutes to work are getting chilly. :cold: Several days last week, it dropped down to about 2 or 3, and it was 3 this morning and yesterday. No doubt colder mornings will come. I'm looking forward to my 2 extra weeks of summer in about 5.5 weeks. :sun:

FortuitousFluke

Well that was wet. Tipping it down on the first leg of my commute, I was a wee bit soggy which meant standing up on the train as I refuse to be the bloke who leads to the next commuter sitting in my seat and being involuntarily drafted into a game of "is that water or is that wee".

Bright side I did a bit exploration around the new workplace and found me a drying room, damn sight more than my last place offered for cyclists.

I think a shopping spree is in order, my current jacket isn't breathable so it's questionable whether or not there's more water on the inside or outside most of the time, and my waterproof trousers are neither waterproof, nor, given they end above my ankles, technically trousers. Oh well, still better than being stuck in the car/Northern Line.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Avoided the rain this morning but it's fair dreich out now. Ride home promises to be waterlogged.

I met an interesting driver this morning:

Dec66

Rode the 21km or so to work, through miserable drizzly showers, but strangely the ride felt a bit easier than usual.

The mystery was solved when I went to get my clothes and laptop out of the panniers, only to find that I'd left them at home.

I think you met an incompetent driver this morning. Were you intending to turn left or did you get forced into doing so ?

According to the YouTube video description, he intended on going straight; "Audi turning without indicating - i was hoping to go straight ahead at this set of lights."

@dhd.evans, good to see cycling videos from Dundee. I'm a Dundoninan, now living in Fife for work :smile:

dhd.evans

Veteran
According to the YouTube video description, he intended on going straight; "Audi turning without indicating - i was hoping to go straight ahead at this set of lights."

@dhd.evans, good to see cycling videos from Dundee. I'm a Dundoninan, now living in Fife for work :smile:

Was hoping to go straight ahead (this junction has had at least two accidents this year) but slowed up because I'm a cynic and could almost read the Audi's direction of travel.

Fife's got some decent hills to ride fella, plus much more open roads than fair Dundee!

Avoided the rain this morning but it's fair dreich out now. Ride home promises to be waterlogged.

I met an interesting driver this morning:

Sorry, would say that one is mostly your fault. Indictators (or lack of) merely prove that the bulb and indicator lever are working.

Undertaking as traffic is accelerating at a junction is always dicey, especially at a shallow junction like that. You can see the lights have changed to green several seconds in advance. Just scrub of a bit of speed and slot into a good primary either in front of or behind that van and you minimise your risk of conflict and give yourself space to manoeuvre if someone doesn't indicate etc.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Sorry, would say that one is mostly your fault. Indictators (or lack of) merely prove that the bulb and indicator lever are working.

Undertaking as traffic is accelerating at a junction is always dicey, especially at a shallow junction like that. You can see the lights have changed to green several seconds in advance. Just scrub of a bit of speed and slot into a good primary either in front of or behind that van and you minimise your risk of conflict and give yourself space to manoeuvre if someone doesn't indicate etc.

The video isn't too clear but i did slow down at as i approached the junction; i could see it coming, but i'm still in disbelief at the sheer blindness exhibited. What you don't see in this video (but you may hear) is the car blasting the horn when I pass them on the hill. What is also not shown is that the same car followed me to the next set of lights getting in as close as it could on my rear wheel. I couldn't catch that bit on film because they were behind me and I had places to be!

Top Bottom