Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
what a change in temperature in 3 weeks.
Max Temp: 24.5 °C
Max Temp.Date: May.4 2017

Min temp: -2.6 °C
Min Temp. Date: Apr.25 2017

rivers

How far can I go?
Took the long, scenic route into work this morning, meaning, I did most of my club run and split off about 3 miles before the end to head the other direction into work. As soon as I split, straight into the headwind I went. It was mostly downhill but still pretty brutal. 33.5 miles before work and about 16 home, so decent mileage for day.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Bloody procrastinitus!
On the weekend, I had every intention of completing my major commuter bicycle fettling, so I could use it for commuting this week. But then... whaddyaknow? Sudden-onset procrastinitus set in. You just never know when it's going to strike... :whistle:

I used my road bike for commuting today. It's not as good for wet weather as the commuter, but damn is it fast! :hyper: :smile:

dhd.evans

Veteran
This morning I think i crossed paths with the delightful young lady who cost me a quarter of my teeth and lower jaw in my accident last year. If it is the same driver (and i've contacted the DVLA out of curiousity) then clearly she hasn't learned anything from last year's shenanigans:

rivers

How far can I go?
Bit of a headwind this morning combined with dead legs and it made my commute slightly hard work. It was also a bit chillier this morning than I expected, and had to dig a pair of fleece gloves out my bag halfway to work. I posted my slowest time to work since I switched from a mountain bike to road bike, but I somehow nabbed the QOM spot on the hill at the top of campus. But that was the one section of my commute I had a tailwind, so...

dhd.evans

Veteran
Spotted the aftermath of an accident last night; not sure what happened (video doesn't give me any clarity on the situation) but at least the poor sod was getting picked up:

dhd.evans

Veteran
Is that a 44cm cycle lane?

Potentially - I always ride primary here, much to the chagrin of the drivers around me.

Sixmile

Veteran
Glorious weather recently which means the aul tan lines are getting built up again.

Not sure whether the motorist infront of me at the lights was just an aul bloke who made an innocent, albeit nearly costly mistake or whether it was an ignorant driver who intentionally put his car into reverse, revved and backed a bit as I was waiting behind.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Lady decided to turn right into the side road at the same time as me this evening, she ended up driving the first 50 yards on completely the wrong side of the road. Fortunately there wasn't an oncoming car.

Utter failure to judge my speed, which was about 25 mph. I don't know what her young son in the back thought !
It gives me a good chuckle when a driver misjudges you and then nonchalantly drives on the wrong side of the road scattering oncoming cars as if it was what they meant to do all along.

Walking in today but I couldn't help notice the irony of the sign preaching at cyclists to stay back. For how long?

That's not a delivery yard entrance by the way and is a busier junction than it looks

IMAG0475[1].jpg
IMAG0476[1].jpg

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I got properly wheelsucked for the last two miles of my homeward journey tonight.

Now, I don't mind being wheelsucked that much, as it makes me press on a bit harder, but when the wheelsucker is younger than you, thinner than you, fitter than you, on a better bike than yours, without commuting paraphernalia as he's on his way for an evening ride down the lanes, it would have been nice for him to at least offer to do a bit.

Heigh ho. No doubt I'll feel it up Sydenham Hill tomorrow.

I got properly wheelsucked for the last two miles of my homeward journey tonight.

Now, I don't mind being wheelsucked that much, as it makes me press on a bit harder, but when the wheelsucker is younger than you, thinner than you, fitter than you, on a better bike than yours, without commuting paraphernalia as he's on his way for an evening ride down the lanes, it would have been nice for him to at least offer to do a bit.

Ciar

Veteran

This used to happen to me quite a bit when riding my hybrid, generally by those drop bar chappies wearing lycra, now i have switched to one of those drop bar bikes, it seems to be happening less ;-)

Top Bottom