Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Labradorofperception

I'm not anticipating any further progress with this so here's the video. It's not really any more interesting than the stills!

(For anyone who missed it police have made attempts to trace the owner. Unfortunately the vehicle is incorrectly registered (address to which registered is unoccupied))

Hopefully, they'll circulate the reg at shift briefing, and keep it in the local intel bulletin

Had planned on going on a ride to Yelverton this evening, but the cold, wind and a bit of spitting, plus a day of payroll/bookkeeping/admin hell, made me want for home.

However, on my commute home, I encountered this pleasant young "lady".

View: https://youtu.be/h2TERzgbNZo

Always fun being called fat, however, I'm also too stupidly slow to think of quick retorts. Sometimes it's better to say little though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Very squally winds around Deptford. Near stopped me dead in my tracks at one point. But turned the corner to go north and had the wind behind be for most of the way home. But it was so cold. I didn't put on my long finger gloves, wish I did. There were a few spots of rain on and off but luckily missed the worst of it all. Wet roads meant for a mucky bike though.

13 rider

Guru
Freakish weather. Brilliant blue sky and sunshine to my left. Fantastic rainbow to my right, so close I can just about touch it. Absolutely peeing it down on me, got a right soaking.
I managed to miss it . Was riding to towards black sky on sodden roads but didn't get wet :tongue: a few minute earlier I think I would have got a soaking

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I hope those of you commuting around london are enjoying the rain, the hale stoning, and the strong but sharp gusts of wind thats probably blowing you all over the road

(as i laugh out loud maniacally from the comfort of my warm bedroom whilst sipping a cup of tea -- Todays a good day for an off day)
No gusty wind in Suffolk, just a strong breeze. Hoewver - OUCH - that hail is bloody painful, especiialy when met head on! The downpour that followed confirms that I need to replace the emergency waterproof trousers I keep in my locker for days like this.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Had planned on going on a ride to Yelverton this evening, but the cold, wind and a bit of spitting, plus a day of payroll/bookkeeping/admin hell, made me want for home.

However, on my commute home, I encountered this pleasant young "lady".

View: https://youtu.be/h2TERzgbNZo

Always fun being called fat, however, I'm also too stupidly slow to think of quick retorts. Sometimes it's better to say little though.

When you said "c'mon my lovely, get down the street" my brain processed it in regional farmers accent and it sounded like you were herding livestock

When you said "c'mon my lovely, get down the street" my brain processed it in regional farmers accent and it sounded like you were herding livestock
hahahaha, well I am from the South West, fortunately without the janner's accent. :biggrin:

Ciar

Veteran
Awful ride home with the wind, felt at one point that my legs were refusing to keep pedalling!

as for the rain and hail, that as usual hit me about 2 miles from home so all in all it finished me off ;-)

today i get to dodge it as driving, need to collect the MTB from the shop so i can go have fun riding on friday :smile:

dhd.evans

Veteran
Had a pleasant ride in bar the white van man chap who laughed at his buddy and then pretended to try and door me. Video of it is crap which is a shame.

rivers

How far can I go?
Different commute this morning as I have training in Patchway. Riding through the city at rush hour is an interesting experience. I overdressed though, thinking it was going to be freezing.

clippetydoodah

Well I packed my stuff ready for the commute this morning, then turned on my phone. I had an odd message. It read did you cycle to work today? Most odd I thought. Then I put facebook on. It turns out that tragically Jonathan Stewart Lee was tragically killed near Freckleton, Lancs at 5.50 pm yesterday. Such sad news.
He was on the route, which takes in a local bypass, when he was hit by a car. My immediate thought was that could have been me. He was in the same place, at the same time as I would have been there had I been on my bike yesterday. He has left a young family and wife behind.

I had a text conversation with a friend who used to commute that route, and stopped because it was too dangerous. I wen to the kitchen and unpacked my bag. I have decided to abandon the commute from now on. It's not worth it. I am sad about this as I loved the ride in the morning and evening. But thinking it could have been my family reading the posts on facebook has galvanised my thinking.

It's really sad that that I should have to write this. It really isn't fair that we cyclists have to think like this. We need safe routes to work, and drivers to be more bike aware. Until we reach that point the bike is going to be for training and fun trips only.

Top Bottom