Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I GOT LOST on the way home from training course in canary wharf. I ended up doing a 5mile tour of the limehouse area and the River Thames which i do have to say looked ABsoLuteLy Brilliant! I did manage to find my bearings no thanks to google maps and went for a rather leisurely ride home via the River Lea towpath.

I'd like to say it was an ABsoLuteLy beautiful ride, but there were BUGS EVERRRRYWHERE and copious amounts of treesperm trying to fertilize my nose.

Ive covered just under 30miles today as i got lost around the whitechapel area this morning..... What should of been a 10mile ride ended up being close to 13. Ride home was just under 15miles.

For the first time in months, almost enjoyable

13 rider

Guru
Got the clothing wrong this morning :cold:. Short sleeves arm warmers and fingerless mitts after a frost was not good couldn't feel my fingers when I got to work . Ride home was :sun:so glad I took shorts to work

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Got the clothing wrong this morning :cold:. Short sleeves arm warmers and fingerless mitts after a frost was not good couldn't feel my fingers when I got to work . Ride home was :sun:so glad I took shorts to work
Sun was out this morning, so out came the bib shorts for the first time this year (can't believe I'm saying that in May), off went the base layer and the arm warmers, and the Sealskins were replaced by mitts.

A bit cold when I set off, in truth, but I have to get these bloody tan lines started somehow.

Rain tomorrow, I'm told...

13 rider

Guru
Sun was out this morning, so out came the bib shorts for the first time this year (can't believe I'm saying that in May), off went the base layer and the arm warmers, and the Sealskins were replaced by mitts.

A bit cold when I set off, in truth, but I have to get these bloody tan lines started somehow.

Rain tomorrow, I'm told...
Not had shorts on going it yet this year I'm out early 5.45 and it's still chilly but pack shorts for return leg in the sun

Dec66

Not had shorts on going it yet this year I'm out early 5.45 and it's still chilly but pack shorts for return leg in the sun
I'd packed a short sleeve shirt as well, and at lunchtime I sat in the courtyard of St. Sepulchre's Church near the Old Bailey, which was bathed in sunshine, while the Church itself shielded me from the insistent Northerly.

Lovely to feel my skin being tickled with Vitamin D.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'd been noticing an increase in traffic volumes between Middlewich and Knutsford since Easter. More overtakes, queuing traffic at junctions etc, but this morning it really hit home when I passed a taxi in Middlewich and made it to Knutsford before the cab. In an urban environment, that's no big deal I know, but I'm commuting on rural A and B roads and it's a distance of around 10 miles. What's more, I was only averaging 17.5mph. I'd like to think it's a tipping point, but who am I kidding...

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Enjoyable ten miler today, some queuing traffic on the A38 due to roadworks but they didn't slow me down much. Due for a wet ride home I think !

FortuitousFluke

Brrr, what happened? Ride home yesterday I dropped the gloves and baselayer, fast forward to this morning and I've thrown a bleeding jumper on! Oh well, thunderstorms to look forward to tomorrow I suppose. Lot of traffic on CS6 this morning, which is nice to see, one month in and I'm actually quite enjoying this London cycling lark, shame I can't justify buying a second bike for that leg, Boris Bikes for the foreseeable future I think.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Was a balmy 11° this morning with the sun trying, but failing to shine. With the warmer weather it means that the wind has turned round giving me a tailwind into work which is a pain as I would much prefer a push home as most of the journey back is up hill.

Oh yes, where was the SE London traffic today. Relatively light for some reason. Made for a very pleasant commute. Love it.

L Q

Über Member
Well I don't know how it happened but last night I was 10 mins quicker than I have been for 2 years.

My legs felt really good for some reason, all that headwind over the last few weeks has clearly help my fitness.

Dec66

Was a balmy 11° this morning with the sun trying, but failing to shine. With the warmer weather it means that the wind has turned round giving me a tailwind into work which is a pain as I would much prefer a push home as most of the journey back is up hill.

Oh yes, where was the SE London traffic today. Relatively light for some reason. Made for a very pleasant commute. Love it.
I think most of it was in Beckenham, Penge and Sydenham.

I had a few spots of rain at the off, bizarrely. I put a rain jacket on, but shouldn't have bothered.

rivers

How far can I go?
The weather couldn't decide what it wanted to do this morning. As I pulled the bike out of the garage, I decided I needed my rain/wind jacket as it was a bit nippy. About 8 miles in, it warmed up a bit, so I shed the jacket, 3 miles later, the temperature fluctuated and wind picked up, so the jacket came back out and stayed on until I got to work. Now, I'm in shorts and a tshirt. and it will most likely be sans arm and leg warmers on the way home, but potentially the rain jacket.

Sixmile

Veteran
Noticeably more bikes on my commute this morning due to the Strava created 'International/National/Global/Worldwide Ride Yer Bike Into Work Day' I imagine. Or it could just be that it's nice weather and it's to change tomorrow!

13 rider

Guru
Had a nice tow for a mile by a guy on an E bike tonight . I was doing 16mph and he just cruised by so quick acceleration and I on his wheel now doing 20 mph with less effort so 2 of us had some E assistance . Thanked him for the tow at the island where we went our separate ways .

Top Bottom