Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ooops.

Bridge 2.jpg

bridge 1.jpg

In the 10+ years I have been doing this cycle commute, I think this is the 5th bridge/lorry strike I have seen here.

Apart from that.. wow.. very hot this morning. So took it nice and easy enjoying the warmth and the ride. I wasn't even tempted into some SCR with a RLJ'ing roadie. (Who I have seen before and of which I am quicker).

dhd.evans

Veteran
This morning was bliss; no wind, no rain, all sun, all cool. Managed to get an unintentional 2nd place on a Strava segment.

Thursday night however...

Same junction as before. No sound because i shouted rather loud expletives at the driver.

rivers

How far can I go?
It was a hot one this morning. I shouldn't have even bothered showering before I left the house. Drenched in sweat doesn't even begin to cover it. It will be a bit warmer on the way home. I'm not built for the heat

subaqua

What’s the point
dickhead on the towpath this morning having a go at pedestrians for walking on the wrong side, he wasn't impressed when i reminded him
i) there is no side
ii) we give way to peds as we are allowed on the towpath by grateful permission of the canal and river trust and twats like him will get the permission removed.

then white van man in a pest control van pulled out from on road parking without signals or mirrors. thankfully i had a feeling he was going to so eased off and slowed so he didn't wipe me out. he was a proper nob head when i reminded him to use indicators and mirrors

Beautiful ride in in lovely cool sunshine. The ride home was mostly about trying to keep the hr low and keep cool. Just so nice to be out in this nice weather.

zer07

Two close misses in two days......
First was yesterday when a car pulled out in front of me from a parking space (the front of the car facing me!). He couldn't see me or any other cars coming so I had to hit the brakes and weave past his door and scoot round the back. Mind you, he had a passenger who probably said something at the last minute. Close call that one.

Second time was this morning. Car pulled out in front of me from a junction. Had plenty of time to see me and then suddenly decided to go!

I'm wondering whether somebody is trying to tell me something! I ought to get my British Cycling insurance sorted.

Other than that, another fantastic ride into work.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For the love of God why would you wear near enough full winter kit for a cycle commute to work in this weather? Night Vision jacket, trousers and full finger gloves. Really? The only reason I can think why you would was if you had some sort of weird problem where you can't warm up what ever the weather.

Lovely ride in this morning. Was up early due to the tweety birds making a racket so got out on the bike early and extended the commute to 26 miles.
Wasn't too hot but looking like this evenings commute is going to be a blistering affair, .

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Mind-numbingly dangerous blind bend overtake by a lady in a Corsa this morning followed by a "let's see how close I can pass the cyclist without knocking him off" by an HGV who then ran a red light to stay in front of me/avoid a chat.

I don't think it is the heat which turns drivers stupid.

DG16 DHP1.jpg
SM61KFL1.jpg

dhd.evans

Veteran
Almost made it two days without an idiot driver!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
.....and I saw him again on this evening's commute. The bloke wearing a night vision jacket...it's mid 30's temps out there. It was blisteringly hot. At least he wasn't wearing the overtrousers but still had the overshoes on. Madness.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Roasting on the in tonight, saw 37 degrees on the Garmin:sweat::sweat: Looks like it will be a bit cooler on the ride home in the morning.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
.....and I saw him again on this evening's commute. The bloke wearing a night vision jacket...it's mid 30's temps out there. It was blisteringly hot. At least he wasn't wearing the overtrousers but still had the overshoes on. Madness.

There is a fella in Cambridge who was wearing the same coat this week, zipped up. He is the same bloke who wears shorts and sandals without socks in 0°c.
He also tucks his long beard under his helmet strap which looks really comical.

Normal for Cambridge!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Supposedly 34 C when I left Guildford tonight but with a heavy laptop/rucksack on my back it felt like 54 C.
Definitely need panniers, and maybe some kind of climate control mounted on my handlebars.

Couldn't face my usual route of sun-baked cycle paths and lanes, so I climbed Warren Road to White Lane and then peeled off onto the North Downs Way; which is peaceful, car-free and in the relative cool and shade of woodland. My new favourite route home.

Top Bottom