Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Turned my commute into a 12 mile training ride for a road race I am doing next Friday. I have clipped some aero bars onto the TCR which I need to readjust to. Set a few PRs on some segments, and squeaked average speed over 18mph, so I am not really fast enough yet !

dhd.evans

Veteran
Proper dumb driving from Friday night...

Came across this stylish chap on the way home, though undertaking on one wheel could be judged a little risky. He had it up there from when he first came into sight,and carried it on till he was out of sight.
upload_2017-6-12_19-59-54.png

upload_2017-6-12_20-3-59.png

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Strange commute home tonight. Had the late shift and finished at 11.30pm so first time. Ive had to use my lights properly to light my way rather then just have it on flash.

Me and a driver watched the same twit on a bicycle jump a red 3 times along a long stretch of road and each and everytime we both overtook and went past him till we stopped at the next set of lights. I got a honk and thumbs up from the driver though but I thought he might of been slightly drunk to begin with anyway.

Went past another cyclist (after i split from the driver) who seemed to be having trouble putting his bike into gear. He kept trying to push in front of me at every light i stopped at but was a lot slower off the line then I was. I dont get why some people feel the need to do this... It didnt stop me having a small gloat though as I rolled past him.

I think being on my carbon its turning me ever so slightly elitist :laugh::laugh: Though with that said. I have been absolutely smoked by people on bromptons, MTBs and those bikes I think are called 29'ers?? with those huge huge tyres on them.

Sometimes i really dont have the power really push those pedals

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had polite but firm words with an HGV driver who turned right in front of me last night, I had to brake very hard not to go under the trailer. He apologised and said that he hadn't noticed me. He said I must have been in a blind spot behind one of his pillars. I said that as a professional driver he should know to check those spots by moving his head.

The sun was behind me but I had been weaving about a bit to avoid potholes and I was there to be seen for some time before he turned in. He wasn't wearing sunglasses by the time I spoke to him. I will carry on travelling at a speed where I can stop should this happen again.

rivers

How far can I go?
The B2B was really busy on the ride home today. Lots of people, quite a few idiots. One guy walking in the middle of the path, making it difficult for anyone to get around him, and he seemed to be pretty oblivious to what was happening around him. Another guy cycling, no handed weaving about the path (i don't care that he was no handed, it was the fact he couldn't keep his line), a few others flying down, nearly taking out some kids. And then once I hit the city, complete gridlock.

simongt

Guru
The pillock who - in a car - was on the r/h lane but indicating left approaching a roundabout, so naturally, I stayed behind him/her. Said car then went all the way round the roundabout in the outside lane and exited onto the road they had come onto the roundabout on - ! Wot - ? ! :eek: :rofl:

gaijintendo

Veteran
I had a nice chat with a bus driver at the lights today discussing panniers. He didn't seem put off by the price of Ortliebs... but he was wanting to carry up to 6 x 2 litre bottles... which was intriguing.

Sixmile

Veteran
As I was riding up normally quite a quiet windy B-road I heard a car very close behind skidding to a stop. The girl had started to overtake me on a blind bend only to be met by an oncoming car who blared the horn. Overtaking girl then waits 30 seconds or so until I negotiate the subsequent 3 or 4 bends, overtakes and gives me the glare of all glares. It's great to finally meet the person who owns that stretch of road!..

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Pulled out of my drive into the traffic next to Ian Stannard this morning. Thought about drafting him as he filtered down the right side of an hgv then thought better of it. I seem to be making a habit of seeing British road race champions on my commute. Crossed with Adam Blythe on Monday and have see Kristian House on a number of occasions.

Rode in on my 29er this morning as racing Beastway tonight. First off the rear brake fails again ( it did on sunday during a race I bled the brakes and thought it fixed) then 2 miles in the dam chain snaps when sprinting for the lights. had the gear to fix the chain myself then took the bike straight to Evans Cycles near work expecting to be fobbed off with we're fully booked etc, but no the mechanic went to it with a will, leaky hydralic hose, new pads and new chain. walked out a few minutes later with a fixed bike but a few quid lighter.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I took a dive due to a chain drop whilst pulling away from the lights. Reviewing the video, it was a completely binary procedure. I was definitely in too high a gear.
Lost my front light, which was promptly crushed.
The injury is surprisingly cratery, on both knee and elbow.
Hopefully the truck two behind will have a dashcam, and all will become clearer.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Jeebus that was hard work tonight. Very hot and a bit of a headwind. Sweating buckets by the time I got home.

@deptfordmarmoset , big accident in Deptford Bridge tonight.
Know anything? I could see a big tent up in the middle of the road so guessing a casualty.

Top Bottom