Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Back on the commute after being knocked off on Wednesdays return home. Police involved, breathalysed me and the driver and then gave a penalty notice to the owner of the van who'd parked on the corner of the cyclepath, meaning I had to go around him on the road.

:ohmy::angry: glad you're back on the bike & sorry you had this experience !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Back on the commute after being knocked off on Wednesdays return home. Police involved, breathalysed me and the driver and then gave a penalty notice to the owner of the van who'd parked on the corner of the cyclepath, meaning I had to go around him on the road.

Good to hear you're back on the bike @Sixmile

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Wow. What a glorious, very warm, sunshiny day. Lovely commute home. Im not expecting many more of these for the rest of the year.
Saturday morning was beautiful here in the lakes, I took advantage of it to do a nice little detour via Brougham, Abbott Lodge, Great Strickland, Askham and Pooley Bridge. Sunday was quite grey and windy, but I did enjoy riding through clouds of falling leaves (jumpers for goalposts hmm...) and the views from Greystoke Moor were especially good. One of the guys at my work told me he had to defrost his car t'other day for the first time in 5 or 6 months:cold: though. so it probably won't be long before commutes to work are like this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hVDvRDuo4E

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Funny commutes so far this week.

Saturday morning was wet wet wet so I decided to go gloveless rather than ride with sodden hands. Bit of a mistake because it was far colder than I expected so hands were pretty numb by the time I rolled in to work. Homeward trip was much warmer.
Sunday was a heavy frost but at least I gloved up so it wasn't too bad and the ride home was very pleasant.

Today was warm in both directions and during the ride home I realised why I was feeling so nostalgic on the return trips all week. It was the smell, that autumn freshness of cooler weather but with a strong hint of bonfire night smokiness and even a hint of fireworks. I'm optimistically looking forward to a good autumn and winter now...….

Randombiker9

Any of you guys use bike indicators? (yes they exist) as since getting these and a better reflective jacket and brighter lights i've not had as many close calls

si_c

Guru
Any of you guys use bike indicators? (yes they exist) as since getting these and a better reflective jacket and brighter lights i've not had as many close calls
Nah, but I do ride quite aggressively and either use my road position to indicate where I'm going or my hands (reflective gloves 4tw!), I reckon most drivers would just be confused by indicators on a bicycle as a lot of them haven't worked out what they are for on a car either.

Randombiker9

Nah, but I do ride quite aggressively and either use my road position to indicate where I'm going or my hands (reflective gloves 4tw!), I reckon most drivers would just be confused by indicators on a bicycle as a lot of them haven't worked out what they are for on a car either.
Well i get that where your coming from. I have a reflective jacket and gloves but also i find in my area the indicators work well as long as you signal as well as other drivers are expecting a signal. I've found that drivers are paying more attention around roundabouts and junctions because the thing about hand signals are sometimes some drivers see it too early or too late. I personally think it works as like a extra visibility especially during when the light is dawn/dusk/dark. But then most veichles in my area accuatley use theit indacators and drivers have noticed.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Big wind home so put the foot down on a Strava segment. Almost upended by a dog walker who, quite literally, jumped onto the cycle path into my path. No words.

upload_2018-10-9_11-31-55.png

Didn't get the segment either :sad:

straas

Matt
Nearly down this morning. Set off from the lights and a guy overtakes on the right with a bit of momentum.

He's so keen to stay in front that he overeggs it and his foot slips off the pedal and hits the floor - not the best look at 18mph in the middle of the road...

He managed to stay up long enough for me to scrub off the speed and go round, went back and checked on him, his knee looked pretty mashed.

si_c

Guru
Nearly down this morning. Set off from the lights and a guy overtakes on the right with a bit of momentum.

He's so keen to stay in front that he overeggs it and his foot slips off the pedal and hits the floor - not the best look at 18mph in the middle of the road...

He managed to stay up long enough for me to scrub off the speed and go round, went back and checked on him, his knee looked pretty mashed.

Yikes:eek:.

Randombiker9

If a car hits you and you don't fall off? Should you still report it? because i litreally was filtering on right side this driver had his left indicator was saying he was going left but then he suddenly puled out and went straight (still with his indicator on) causing him to cut me off. To the point of me actually bashing into him and ended up pushing his wing mirror in. Somehow i just didn't fall off as i slammed my breaks on. He didn't stop. I thought he was going to because of his mirror. I was trying to get up closer to get his number plate but lost him at next roundabout and i don't know the road name and only got 2 letters of his number plate. So is their any point reporting this driver or not?. or i should i off called the non emergency number (101) at the time it happend? this was only like 6.10pm.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Well i get that where your coming from. I have a reflective jacket and gloves but also i find in my area the indicators work well as long as you signal as well as other drivers are expecting a signal. I've found that drivers are paying more attention around roundabouts and junctions because the thing about hand signals are sometimes some drivers see it too early or too late. I personally think it works as like a extra visibility especially during when the light is dawn/dusk/dark. But then most veichles in my area accuatley use theit indacators and drivers have noticed.

I suspect you are in a minority on here about finding indicators beneficial. Drivers are not expecting a cyclist to use indicators and when they learn to pass a driving test, they are taught to expect a cyclist to use hand signals. As said up thread, most seem to have little idea what they are for on a car. If you are hand signalling with your reflective top and gloves, I am struggling to see how an indicator light helps. If a driver cannot see the former, should they be on the road?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If a car hits you and you don't fall off? Should you still report it? because i litreally was filtering on right side this driver had his left indicator was saying he was going left but then he suddenly puled out and went straight (still with his indicator on) causing him to cut me off. To the point of me actually bashing into him and ended up pushing his wing mirror in. Somehow i just didn't fall off as i slammed my breaks on. He didn't stop. I thought he was going to because of his mirror. I was trying to get up closer to get his number plate but lost him at next roundabout and i don't know the road name and only got 2 letters of his number plate. So is their any point reporting this driver or not?. or i should i off called the non emergency number (101) at the time it happend? this was only like 6.10pm.

Have you a witness or a bike camera recording of the incident? If not I would say put the incident behind you.
Car mirrors are designed to be pushed in, but if a sharp downward force is applied, oddly that doesn't happen. Plenty of videos on YouTube of motor cyclists demonstrating the technique..

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom