Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Technically yesterday, but my dog joined me on the last leg of my commute home, via my parents, where he had stayed the day. A nice slow pace on the account of his odd gait (he has
Gracilis Myopathy, but it's painless) and advanced age.

View: https://youtu.be/Thg3tT4gp4A

Awesome

si_c

Guru
Another reasonably quick ride in this morning, better clothing choice, short sleeve jersey, shorts and light arm warmers - could have got away without these comfortably, but I prefer to be slightly too warm than slightly too cold.

Still suffering from eating too much last night, and not looking forward to this afternoon's headwind.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Dropped a chain today, got my local shop to fix it and the bike feels so snappy. When that chap touches a bike it always feels better than the other shops nearby.

Set off to change where I was working after picking up the bike, and didn't put my front camera on. I knew that would result in something happening.

And so it did. Almost got wiped out by a car crossing from the far side into a side street. We both pretty much stopped at the collision point.

What was weird though, and the first time for me. I had no flight or fight response. I didn't even raise my heart rate a beat. Didn't stop to make eye contact. Nothing. I just carried on. That seemed weird to me. How weary I have become.

Rode home at midnight and back in again at 1130hrs. New route for me along the canal for most of the 13 miles. Longer in time and distance than my road route but so much safer. I'm actually enjoying my commute again.

the stupid one

Über Member
Today was the 3rd cycle commute of The Middle Years (I promise I won't post them all). I wasn't looking forward to the Heswall ascent, because I really struggled the first two times, but I got to the top with very little bother. I'd left the locks at work, which removed a couple of pounds, and I reminded myself all the way up to keep my shoulders, arms and grip relaxed. I didn't even have to drop into the lowest gear. I was breathing hard and covered in sweat by the top, but feeling good.

And I saw two jays on the way, which always make me smile.

More of this!

Randombiker9

Just out of interest is this anyone's fault or just a misunderstanding?
I was cycling around to get to know where i have to go tommorow. First time in that area. I got a bit lost so i decided to stop on the pavement. Check directions on my mobile (i had a phone holder but for some reason it was speaking directions and the screen wasn't bright). So i decided to stop on the pavement and also to sort my saddle height out as it slipped down a little. When i found the right way. I was on left, turning right. This driver in his left. Stopped and flashes his light and gave a signal letting me pass when suddenly a white car overtook him causing me to slam my breaks on. So was this the white cars fault or just a miss . understading? Another thing is i've got better lights which work and are bright during the day so he should of been able to seen the front light and i wear a reflective jacket now as well. Since it's getting darker earlier and clocks change soon.
Just wondering on your opinions on this

C R

Guru
Just out of interest is this anyone's fault or just a misunderstanding?
I was cycling around to get to know where i have to go tommorow. First time in that area. I got a bit lost so i decided to stop on the pavement. Check directions on my mobile (i had a phone holder but for some reason it was speaking directions and the screen wasn't bright). So i decided to stop on the pavement and also to sort my saddle height out as it slipped down a little. When i found the right way. I was on left, turning right. This driver in his left. Stopped and flashes his light and gave a signal letting me pass when suddenly a white car overtook him causing me to slam my breaks on. So was this the white cars fault or just a miss . understading? Another thing is i've got better lights which work and are bright during the day so he should of been able to seen the front light and i wear a reflective jacket now as well. Since it's getting darker earlier and clocks change soon.
Just wondering on your opinions on this
The white car driver was an impatient tosser, there seem to be many specimens of that kind lately, and multiply fast.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
2nd day of commuting on the TEC road bike and i am nor complaining , cant wait to get some weekend miles on it

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Straight, no dramas, 12.5 miles there and the same back, at 01:00, feeling tired tonight <yawn>

406F407F-BABE-4919-8086-85AF77088027.jpeg

Checked out one of my old shortcuts.. still closed... I can take a hint :rolleyes:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Drift universal clip has snapped, so only camera option is having it on the bars. Of course, that means I pass a long queue of slow moving traffic with multiple distracted phone-users ! Drift are kindly sending me a new one FOC :okay:

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Nice easy commute in today - got a tow for a couple of miles from a JCB so I didn't have to put too much effort in. Which was nice as felt like a bit of a headwind today.

Slick

Guru
dog walkers on cycle paths arrrggh..... its always the ones that have also got headphones on so they cant hear me coming or my bell....
I had a bit of van issue a while back when I thought a couple of young neds were deliberately trying to be awkward, but was properly embarrassed when I finally squeezed past them only to realise that it wasn't ear phones they had in but hearing aids. I waved an apology as soon as I realised which they appeared to accept.

Top Bottom