Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It pished it down today: fortunately trams have roofs.

Cycled to the local tram stop, took the tram to where I usually leave the bike so I at least get a bit of a ride this afternoon, got off tram, locked bike, got on my tram (This does make sense: this tram was going to East Stuttgart, the orignal tram goes to West Stuttgart, keep up at the back) Tram to work tram stop, walked from there. Still pishing it down.

Thank goodness for Akubra hats.

I'm assured the rain will lay off this afternoon, If it doesn't I'll feel a right twit.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A nice commute in this morning , but had to go direct as running late .
Couldn't believe some idiot had left a shopping trolley across the path half way along an underpass !!!!

Sixmile

Veteran
That bum-twitching moment on a roundabout when a driver doesn't wait for you to clear her entry sliproad before surging on towards your back wheel.... had that today - only eye contact & a hand up got her to back off. Afraid I swore.

What is this with drivers? I had similar this morning and at least one every day from a junction of some sort. When you're approaching on a bike and you see someone's wheels starting to move, I never assume that they've seen me and in a few occasions they haven't taken the time to look.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Yesterday evening I had my first wet ride through London. Goodness the bike was twitchy going over all the ironwork. No spills but I certainly had to have my wits about me. The Northants leg was blighted by a succession of close passes - I really don't understand what is wrong with people. In most cases there was plenty of road to move into, the drivers either did not realise or did not care.

icowden

Veteran
Need to get my camera back on. Going down Winchester Walk today (it's one of those one way streets with a bike lane in the opposite direction) got called a c**t for failing to evapourate out of the way of a van due to all the market traders being parked in the afore mentioned cycle lane.

Not entirely sure what he thought I should do, but he did a very good job of trying to run me down, and only braking at the last second. Took me a looooooooooooong time to get out of his way though.... !

Clanghead

On way home tonight, had a close pass at a pinch point from a driver eating a sandwich - he clearly wasn't paying full attention - and then a shouted comment from the driver following him - whether further abuse at me for reflex shouting at driver #1 to f*ck off out of it, or sympathy, I didn't wait around to find out - both turned right immediately afterwards.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not a good start or end to the day! Picked up a pinch puncture less than 2 miles in, put the new tube in and then found out that I couldn't screw the CO2 canister into the pump (PDW Magic Flute) as I'd not had to use it for so long that water had got into the threads which had corroded badly. Managed to get enough air in using the hand pump part and turned round, went home & changed bikes and still made it in for 7am.

When I got home this afternoon, out came the track pump to properly inflate the replaced tube. Pumped it up to 100psi, released the head and the new tube's valve failed with the little screw in top disappearing somewhere unknown meaning new tube number 2 for the day!

dhd.evans

Veteran
Really couldn't be hooped this morning - still rode but without gusto or desire.

Zanelad

Guru
My first ever cycle commute this morning. A bit chilly when I set out but comfy soon enough. 40 minutes, the same time as the bus and a little over twice as long if using the car. Getting me kit off in the loo felt odd. Luckily I'm the first one into the office each morning. Just hope that I can sneak out at 14.30 without being seen in lycra……:ohmy:

I never gave a though to the new Brooks Cambium saddle, so that must be good. Going to try to cycle twice a week, perhaps three times once get into the routine.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My first ever cycle commute this morning. A bit chilly when I set out but comfy soon enough. 40 minutes, the same time as the bus and a little over twice as long if using the car. Getting me kit off in the loo felt odd. Luckily I'm the first one into the office each morning. Just hope that I can sneak out at 14.30 without being seen in lycra……:ohmy:

I never gave a though to the new Brooks Cambium saddle, so that must be good. Going to try to cycle twice a week, perhaps three times once get into the routine.

Well done and welcome to the cycling commuting club.
Don't worry about what others think of you in lycra. You're enjoying a bike ride every day, they are not. They may take the p!ss but they'll soon get bored with it.
Once, twice, thrice? Ha... it's a mean thing the daily cycle commute. Before you know it you'll be an every dayer.. :okay:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Nice new 25 mm Durano pluses on the Pacer this morning. Previous ones (23 mm, standard Durano, non-folding) did nearly 8000 miles! one puncture! (rear). Worth noting that I use my fixed most of the winter and usually on wet days and that picks up more punctures even though I use tougher tyres.

Also I did something to my back working on the Community Allotment yesterday so I'm having trouble moving around- didn't even feel it on the bike this morning.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
First commute and miles on the new to me Koga that i picked up yesterday just over 11 miles in total , all went well and relaxing .
Nice weather for it as well could have quite easily turned left instead of right and carried on cycling but hey ho .
Could see plumes of smoke on my return at lunch time and later found that a warehouse at Sywell aerodrome was on fire .

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
4oqxBsl.jpg

Tomorrow not looking promising for me. Wish the Met Office could do a wider grading than just one or two raindrops, can never gauge how bad it's going to be. Maybe like 1, 2... 5 raindrops, then a special category with a whole farking load for those days when it's best to have a touch of flu.

Or the runs, perhaps. No-one ever questions that one.

aferris2

Guru
Tomorrow not looking promising for me. Wish the Met Office could do a wider grading than just one or two raindrops, can never gauge how bad it's going to be. Maybe like 1, 2... 5 raindrops, then a special category with a whole farking load for those days when it's best to have a touch of flu.

Or the runs, perhaps. No-one ever questions that one.

I always use the forecast map:
weather.jpg
Then scroll through the day to see when you are likely to get wet. Blue can usually be ignored. Yellow and above indicates a bit of a soaking. When I used to commute, I also used NetWeather before starting out to see what the real situation was.

Top Bottom