Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
View attachment 465597

Tomorrow not looking promising for me. Wish the Met Office could do a wider grading than just one or two raindrops, can never gauge how bad it's going to be. Maybe like 1, 2... 5 raindrops, then a special category with a whole farking load for those days when it's best to have a touch of flu.

Or the runs, perhaps. No-one ever questions that one.

Wasn't so bad. Three raindrops on my new 7-point scale. Socks didn't even get wet. Gloves soggy but not wringing wet (I will use this as a specific description on my scale)

Remembered I like the rain in some way, smell reminds me of Wales

dhd.evans

Veteran
Full disclosure: i was hovering on my brakes at this corner anyway:

LBS will see the bike today, recommend repairs. I reckon it's only my bar tape but we'll see. My body is slightly bruised but i'll live.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Let's hope its only bruising .. stay safe out there. I guess it was a case of SMIDSY ?

Road rash too :sad: Heyho. We live and learn, he was shaken up. I was just, y'know, mad. Claims of SMIDSY were mitigated by "you came flying round that corner" as if somehow I should have allowed him to go across me...

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Road rash too :sad: Heyho. We live and learn, he was shaken up. I was just, y'know, mad. Claims of SMIDSY were mitigated by "you came flying round that corner" as if somehow I should have allowed him to go across me...

Not exactly flying, apart from when you parted company with the bike. Hope you heal well. He had loads of time to see you and wait, if only he'd been looking. At least he apologised & was concerned for your wellbeing afterwards.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Sorry to hear this. Don't let him blame you for the incident. If you were 100% in the right then stick to your guns. I hope you got his insurance details so you can claim for bike repairs and damaged clothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It started of as drizzle and by the time I got to work an hour later it was full on heavy rain. Thankfully it wasn't cold. As it had been raining all night the roads were mainly full on flooded lakes in parts with a lot of white foam.

So rainy commute scores on the doors

Rainy commute # 13 for the year
Same period 2017 7 rainy commutes (31 over all)
Same period 2018 30 rainy commute (53 over all)

icowden

Veteran
I always use the forecast map:
Then scroll through the day to see when you are likely to get wet. Blue can usually be ignored. Yellow and above indicates a bit of a soaking. When I used to commute, I also used NetWeather before starting out to see what the real situation was.

DarkSky is quite useful when you are getting ready to go out - quite precise forecasting for the next hour and reasonably precise forecasting for the rest of the day. i'm a fan anyway.

rugby bloke

Veteran
The weather was not as bad as I was expecting it to be on the Northants link, in fact by the time i got to the station I was starting to boil in the bag in my jacket. Highlight of the ride - seeing a badger, alive and well crossing the road ahead of me.
By the time I reached London the sun was out, making for a pleasant dash across town, the only frustration being getting caught at every red light on the way.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
School spanner syndrome strikes again.

"I'll take off those overshoes" thinks I as I put the shoes on at home, "it's not due to rain until later" ....

Office radiator is now adorned with gloves, socks, hat and shoes !

Top Bottom