Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Last nights commuting shenanigans:
Waiting at a crossing, light turns red, woman in front steps out into highway to cross but nearly gets hit by two kids jumping the red light on e-scooters (no lights), swerving around cars in rush hour traffic. I make eye contact with younger kid who shouts ‘F**k off ‘ at me. Both ride down main carriageway, beeping car horns…etc. Candidates for the Darwin Awards.
Leaving Railway Path up dark unlit lane, little white LED light coming towards me appears to be about 6 inches off the floor. Always see chap with his Jack Russell which has white LED on it’s collar. I assume it’s the dog and think it’s off the lead so I stop, angle my lights up expecting to see it…nope..…bloke dressed in black on a black e-scooter coming towards me with pathetic tiny LED on it, just above wheel arch. Hardly adequate lighting.
Stopped at local shop to but milk. Unlock bike, wheel it to kerb only to narrowly miss twit rushing past on….yep…another e-scooter thundering along pavement.
I’m beginning to really dislike these bloody things. They’re currently illegal plus don’t tell me they’re the ‘cool future of transport’…how cool is it looking like a mannequin nailed to a plank of wood?.

Wind?...no problems really. I make sure I fart quietly & discreetly:okay:.

…how cool is it looking like a mannequin nailed to a plank of wood?.
Hah! You came to the wrong forum, clearly no one here cares what they look like on their commute as most of us are decked out in lycra, high viz and/or plaine old rain coats.

I've yet to see any e-scooter's in the wild. I wonder if it's our hilly terrain that is keeping them at bay?

On my commute to night there was an almighty bang beneath me as I went through a potholed cycle lane so I prepared my self for the worst. Strangely all was fine so I sat back down. Lol, my saddle rail clamp must have came loose enough for the nose to go down when I hit a bump. I thought for a moment about fixing it but decided to cycle the 16 miles or so with it pointing down.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
After my comments yesterday about the strength of thie wind so far this week, today was...actually quite pleasant with just a slight breeze & bright sunshine this morning and a stiff, but mostly side/tail wind for the afternoon ride home.

I was riding home this afternoon, & had pulled up in a queue of traffic (I was turning left here), when a totally brain-dead scrote on a 'BSO' came riding along the pavement, off the kerb, over the junction, & back onto the kerb
A car turning left into Lidl had to brake very sharply, I heard little noises as the ABS stopped the tyres from locking
I really thought driver was going to have a new bonnet ornament, & was (very quickly) mentally writing a witness statement for the insurers & the Coroner

Said scrote was wearing a 'snorkel parka' with the hood up:eek::eek:
What kind of fools are we raising, apart from candidates for Darwinism

I was heading in the same direction as the camera is looking, but obviously on the left of the road

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.70078,-1.420709,197.46h,3.17p,0z

Randombiker9

lol wind wasn’t too bad but took the river shortcut. Probably wasn’t the best idea but I got into town fine. Luckily I have no hills on the way Into town and left early before the wind got stronger

Randombiker9

Really drivers on way to work. Driver close passed me to the point I had to go onto the pavement to avoid hitting him and then when I got back on the road another driver said use the cycle path. When the pavement isn’t even a cycle path.
Sometimes i think drivers are just bullies and looking for a reaction. So I just ignore the drivers

Top Bottom