Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have 'upgraded' to SPD-SL pedals and I think it was a big mistake for commuting. They are difficult to walk in when I get to the office, harder to clip back after stopping at a red light and worst of all I cannot seem to find a comfortable adjustment.

I am going to swap back tonight, before I do, can anybody suggest a benefit for these pedals in terms of commuting.
What are you swapping back to?

I use mtb SPD pedals and shoes which avoids pretty much all the issues you are experiencing as the pedals are double sided and the shoe soles make the cleat almost flush so walking is safe and easy.

It might be that for a short commute or one with lots of stop start that a flat pedal and non-clipless shoes would be more practical?

Reactions: C R

StickyPTFE

What are you swapping back to?

I use mtb SPD pedals and shoes which avoids pretty much all the issues you are experiencing as the pedals are double sided and the shoe soles make the cleat almost flush so walking is safe and easy.

It might be that for a short commute or one with lots of stop start that a flat pedal and non-clipless shoes would be more practical?
I have a set of SPD pedals and shoes that I have used for the past 3 years. I was under the impression SPD-SL would be an upgrade, however, for my application (12 mile round trip) it is not worth it. I can't get used to only have one side to clip into.

I do sometimes commute on my MTB with flat pedals, which is comfortable. Putting flats on a road bike would look strange.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have a set of SPD pedals and shoes that I have used for the past 3 years. I was under the impression SPD-SL would be an upgrade, however, for my application (12 mile round trip) it is not worth it. I can't get used to only have one side to clip into.

I do sometimes commute on my MTB with flat pedals, which is comfortable. Putting flats on a road bike would look strange.
MTB SPDs on all my fleet, mtb/commuter/carbon roadbike and use the same shoe for them all. Never felt the need to experiment with the single sided SPD-SL system as the mtb ones cover all bases so well.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Traffic is definitely getting busier on the roads, thankfully I don’t have to commute on many . I could not resist extending my commute home through Worsley woods just off NCN55 and on the home run along the Bridgewater Way

D0585FBD-73BA-4DDE-A9A2-95E2971F0213.jpeg

04CD5A90-0379-4E94-BCED-D43FDE1574E2.jpeg

c
824B0B31-A358-4241-8746-8290146DD089.jpeg

0D51859D-842D-4BEA-B4AF-8C50E684FC4A.jpeg

ld
589E6E7E-4FF9-4D2A-A369-BE66726DDC20.jpeg

StickyPTFE

Traffic is definitely getting busier on the roads, thankfully I don’t have to commute on many . I could not resist extending my commute home through Worsley woods just off NCN55 and on the home run along the Bridgewater Way

View attachment 528433

View attachment 528434

c View attachment 528435

View attachment 528436

ld View attachment 528437
Traffic is certainly getting heavier around here too. I have taken to commuting via the canal as much as possible, the odd oblivious headphone user / dog walker is much better to deal with than close passing white vans!

Great photos.

mythste

Veteran
Been a while since I've been here! But compelled to post following my increased cycle commuting over the last few weeks. My commute is now ~14 miles each way and I'm trying to commit to 3 days a week whilst I adjust. It's an hour commute by bike or 50 minutes over a train and a tram, which I'm avoiding because, world.

There's a definite increase in traffic and notable decrease in patience over the last ten days, but it's almost charming at this point! A shred of normality in an otherwise weird world. who'd have thunk it.

I have 'upgraded' to SPD-SL pedals and I think it was a big mistake for commuting. They are difficult to walk in when I get to the office, harder to clip back after stopping at a red light and worst of all I cannot seem to find a comfortable adjustment.

I am going to swap back tonight, before I do, can anybody suggest a benefit for these pedals in terms of commuting.

I understand SPD's are easier but as a (mostly) roadie, the power transfer and efficiency of the SPD sl are worth it to me.
Clipping in only gets better with practice, it eventually will become second nature, just the same as with SPD's.
Riding a road bike with tiny little SPD cleats feels strange to me now.

I use cleats covers religiously on my SPD sl's. I always have covers with me in case I have to walk.
Cleat covers help with traction and extends cleat life.

united4ever

Über Member
Been using the pop up cycle lane down the a56 in trafford (coned off one lane). It's good and gets extended almost every day. Got to shoulder check every side road though and they come thick and fast.

Top Bottom