Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
suppose the peace and quiet was good whilst it lasted 🤔

It was brilliant but I feared driving standards would return to the bad old days as soon as they got a sniff they could return to the roads fully ☹️

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Stunning weather and commute this morning along the NCN55 to Bolton. Going off the heat, I will be going home down the roads because the trails will be rammed

7CE2E4BF-1913-42AA-BE50-D9CA9E6EBBE0.jpeg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
My regular "Quiet Lane" on the commute had all the drains and utility covers taped over ready for surface dressing this morning - I'm hoping they won't start until tomorrow as I don't go back into the office until next Wednesday.

Sure!
It's a decal/transfer/sticker - whatever phrase is used over there

I have no idea if the UK magazine Mountain Biking UK' ever made it over there?
The decal is based on a cartoon strip in the magazine, called 'Mint Sauce'
Rather curiously this is a bike-riding Ovine (Sheep)

More information/history/psyche/strips here; https://www.thisiswhy.co.uk/blank-mpvle

View attachment 520930

View attachment 520931

This is the supplying store
Some interesting designs (head-tube too!!)
https://www.indibike.co.uk/top-tube-graphics-41-c.asps

This Mint Sauce is all very new to me, looks great.
A nice way to make a bicycle much more personal.

And as if by magic, the idiots are back on the roads ☹ Bollards at a pinch point I go through are now destroyed, two pull outs without looking, one idiot in a Micra Cabriolet overtook me as I was positioned to turn right at some traffic lights and one red light jumper on the guided busway crossing ( gutted a bus did not hit him) Stay safe everyone, the lockdown respite is over 😩😩😩😩

Likewise, there's a hell of a lot on bikes, who seem to have got what little road-sense they have out of a cereal box!
A couple I've seen on a semi-regular basis are nominees for a Darwin Award, & someone scraping them up with a shovel

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Likewise, there's a hell of a lot on bikes, who seem to have got what little road-sense they have out of a cereal box!
A couple I've seen on a semi-regular basis are nominees for a Darwin Award, & someone scraping them up with a shovel
I’ve seen a few pack animals on MTB’s along the trails who seem to think they can just ride three or four abreast and expect everyone to move 😡 Made one shift over today as he was riding whilst texting, they don’t half wobble when they realise you are keeping your line 😆😆

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I’ve seen a few pack animals on MTB’s along the trails who seem to think they can just ride three or four abreast and expect everyone to move 😡 Made one shift over today as he was riding whilst texting, they don’t half wobble when they realise you are keeping your line 😆😆
Had this last night. 3 lads riding towards me all spread out across the towpath. 2 clocked me, the 3rd didn't and continued to ride straight towards me. He nearly fell in the canal and may have needed clean underwear when I shouted "Watch where you're F'in going!" almost in his face :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Scary crosswinds cycling home this evening. Glad it is the weekend so I don't have to ride tomorrow because it looks like it is going to be windy again tomorrow and Sunday.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Went out for a pootle up the Bristol railway Path yesterday just to get some air. Anyone out about 2pm along the connecting section with the Avon ring Road path would have encountered the two selfish idiots racing petrol-driven scooters about at speed:cursing:. These things were the forerunners of e-scooters.

Speaking of these, just before the lockdown, idiot Boris decided that the south west (he has a Tory 'Super- mayor' here) would trial these blasted things. This now means that any e-scooter user now thinks they're magically OK to race along cyclepaths, trial or not, they 'think' it legitimatises them. Coming back home, I was overtaken by a bloke on one toward the Staple Hill tunnel. This was not your rent-a-scooter restricted Lime thing. Nope - had fat wheels, much bigger battery housing and I estimate was probably doing about 30mph....on a path which had families with small children on it. Definitely unrestricted. We don't allow 30 mph mopeds on cyclepaths but some selfish people seem to think high speed e-scooters are magically exempt because they are electric.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Went out for a pootle up the Bristol railway Path yesterday just to get some air. Anyone out about 2pm along the connecting section with the Avon ring Road path would have encountered the two selfish idiots racing petrol-driven scooters about at speed:cursing:. These things were the forerunners of e-scooters.

Speaking of these, just before the lockdown, idiot Boris decided that the south west (he has a Tory 'Super- mayor' here) would trial these blasted things. This now means that any e-scooter user now thinks they're magically OK to race along cyclepaths, trial or not, they 'think' it legitimatises them. Coming back home, I was overtaken by a bloke on one toward the Staple Hill tunnel. This was not your rent-a-scooter restricted Lime thing. Nope - had fat wheels, much bigger battery housing and I estimate was probably doing about 30mph....on a path which had families with small children on it. Definitely unrestricted. We don't allow 30 mph mopeds on cyclepaths but some selfish people seem to think high speed e-scooters are magically exempt because they are electric.
A pal of mine rode to Bath yesterday & encountered predictable lack of social distancing/crowded lane. I am sticking to the roads.

StickyPTFE

I have 'upgraded' to SPD-SL pedals and I think it was a big mistake for commuting. They are difficult to walk in when I get to the office, harder to clip back after stopping at a red light and worst of all I cannot seem to find a comfortable adjustment.

I am going to swap back tonight, before I do, can anybody suggest a benefit for these pedals in terms of commuting.

Top Bottom