Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had to go into work for the first time since lockdown. The ride in was glorious, bright sunshine and a tailwind.
Hardly any cyclists even on CS3, the only Cyclist I did meet going my way had to be a prat though, a middle aged cyclist in full winter kit.

I was about to overtake , gave him a "coming past on your right" warning and he seemed to think he could change lanes in front of me without looking at all so I nearly rear ended him but swerved onto the pavement . I simply called him a knob and left it at that.

Then 100yds from work a nasty ticking noise from the rear wheel followed by mangling of gears noise. A spoke had broken then found its way into the chain and derailleur.

Going to have to take it easy on the way home as the wheel is now likely to develop a wobble. Means taking a wheel off the old cx bike or looking in the loft to see if I kept a shimano hub rear wheel.

( I know I have 2 campagnola clincher wheels and several CX wheels with shimano hub but all are tubs, ( glued on tyre)

At work in reception I found a large ripped open box with a note from royal mail saying it had been opened as it had dangerous goods in it which had been removed.

What was left was bags of various nuts, loads of chocolate bars, sweets, soap and shampoo, looks like it was a food parcel from Bulgaria for the security guard .

Normally you would have expected it to be the other way around, ie a food parcel to Bulgaria. I wonder what the dangerous goods were

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Planned to go into the office today, first time since 6th April. I got away about 7.05 and enjoyed a 21 miler up to Tortworth and Damery, then straight back down the A38. I had a real hankering to ride through Damery although it is only a little part of the ride, as the bluebells & wild garlic put on a great show and it is nice riding alongside the Little Avon.

Commutes again yesterday and today.

Yesterday got to the shop to see the bike mostly covered in Orange sealant,didn't notice going along so it did it's job and stayed up enough to ride to the station in the evening.

Fresh sealant popped in this morning and still ok,maybe losing a few psi but good enough to keep me going without further repairs.

It does go everywhere;

Before the damage was done;

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Commuted to work three days this week, almost had the site to myself. Car park almost totally empty.

The roads have been so quiet, the commute so much more pleasant. Riding home down the Bedmond road just after 4 pm and there are other cyclists and pedestrians about, I usually see no-one who isn't in a car. A lot of cyclists have reported that there's still a lot of crap driving and speeding but where I am most drivers seem to be extra careful, hanging back- no dodgy overtakes- apart from a van passenger shouting something incomprehensible I've not had any negative interactions.

Tomorrow woking from home so maybe a loop, more likely I'll get up late.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I never leave the house without a chain tool and a quick link or 2 .... though i mostly have fixed fellow cyclists chains not my own ...so far ...

I've fixed mine twice- in 30 + years. Both on the commute.

One was due to badly set-up rear mech / chain mangling type incident and the other because I lost a jockey wheel.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Well that was a bad idea thinking the NCN55 would be clearer on the way home from Bolton today ! I have never seen so many groups of families, joggers, cyclists and dog walkers on that trail since the start of lockdown, we are fooked with these clowns not giving a damn ! One bag head on a MTB was happily clearing his nose whilst weaving all over the path, one group of males were having a nice beer whilst riding along and then we have the kids and dogs who’s respective owners had no control which route they we going to run in front of you ☹️
Definitely taking my chances on the roads next week until the weather breaks and all those new bikes, running shoes and dogs are dumped at home !
Stay safe everyone, some communities don’t give a damn about spreading the virus

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Nearly wiped out at a roundabout this morning :eek:. Hardly a soul on the road and I thought the driver had saw me with the lights on as well ! Nope came out at me from the side. Anyway after much verbal and hand signals from me :rolleyes: driver did pullover further up the road and was very apologetic. Which is just as well as I know where he stays and know his parents ! Anyway explained the dangers of this particular roundabout and quiet roads doesn`t mean you can drop your guard ! We left as pals :smooch:

Top Bottom