Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
Ah the bliss of sailing past the stupidity of some motorists. On my way home from dropping the kids off to school on the tandem, I pass another school where directly outside the road is always down to one half width due to parking. Both directions had met each other in the middle with no where to go, queues behind in each side. The only way out of that jam would've been for 8 or 9 cars from one end to reverse a fair bit back but I didn't hang around to advise, instead simply sailed past at 10mph and put the kettle on while they sit there and convince themselves that cars get you about quicker. :laugh:

Moron in a car objected to my filtering past him in stationary traffic at a red light this morning. I tucked in behind the 1st car at the red since there is no ASL, 2nd car objected to this by honking, and trying to cut me off from the left as the traffic moved off. I wasn't going to hang around in the middle of two lanes, so I took primary, que more honking and then some verbal abuse. Traffic moving quite slowly up hill, I was able to pass the 1st car, but then the road opens up to two lanes, along comes the numpty for a punishment pass despite there being two lanes, then he's off speeding 20mph or so over the limit up the dual carriageway during the school run time. World class TW*T. Then as I approach work, an Audi S4 piloted by a colleague I recognise (not known by name, but seen around the place) overtakes with mm to spare despite a car in the oncoming lane. Beggars belief. Took a quick detour to the car park to find him for a quick chat. I kept it courteous, explaining the dangers, they apologised looking quiet sheepish, promising not to do it again, I hope they were sincere. Lucky for these two numpties I didn't have my camera installed, I need to pop it on tonight and start tallying points on licenses again.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Tights, lobster gloves and wooly hat day. Forecast said maybe freezing fog but actually very nice, misty- great commute!

Yep, foggy here in SE Londinium this morning. A balmy 2° when I left home at 7.30am.
Perfect cycling weather though. Dry and no winds to contend with.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
<Four Yorkshire men mode>

2°C - would have been luxury for me this morning. At 6am when I left it was -2°C warming up to -1°C nearer the North Sea with cystal clear skies. Despite the sub zero temps being forecast, there wasn't any sign of the council having sent out the gritters overnight.

</Four Yorkshire men mode>

Reactions: C R

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Train into London this morning, then back home, but 15 miles of cycling between customer sites.
Enjoying the quietways and all the bus lanes and dedicated cycle lanes, but London cycling seems pretty good on ANY roads - thanks to the 20 limit meaning very small speed differentials.

Only problem is very sore heels - almost in blisters from a new pair of site boots I've been breaking-in. And they don't grip spd pedals very well!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A very chilly commute this morning. Decided to dig out the winter jacket for the first time this winter and it was the right choice. Though I should have worn long finger gloves instead of mitts. The pesky northern headwind made the commute a little harder than it should have been. The SE London traffic was abysmal this morning too. Far too much of it Lovely sunny morning though.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Still using an old Hope Vision II that I bought ages ago. Charged up the (original) battery pack on Monday. Did a couple of commutes, left the light on when I put it away yesterday (easy to do- you have to hold the button for ages to turn it off), was still going this morning and during the commute. Good to know it'll do it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Still using an old Hope Vision II that I bought ages ago. Charged up the (original) battery pack on Monday. Did a couple of commutes, left the light on when I put it away yesterday (easy to do- you have to hold the button for ages to turn it off), was still going this morning and during the commute. Good to know it'll do it.

Still using 2 Hope Vision II's. Been going strong for a good few years now. I did actually forgot to turn them off after Monday evenings commute, so they were blazing all night in the garage. Have more then enough juice to get me home with light that evening.

Other news.. its wasn't a very nice commute out there this morning. Cold, dark and wet with far too much awful, backed up traffic to deal with.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Other news.. its wasn't a very nice commute out there this morning. Cold, dark and wet with far too much awful, backed up traffic to deal with.

Cold & dark but I was only mildly dampened this morning. Expecting a soaking on the way home though, it's horrible out there at the moment.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Yesterday's ride to work featured a close pass from a Mercedes driver, and riding home I was nearly tailwhipped by a Lexus driver cutting back in after overtaking me on a junction.

Both matters were easily uploaded with footage and both will be getting a warning letter, a fixed penalty or a prosecution. Neither marred the enjoyment of the ten miles each way though 👍🚴.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cold & dark but I was only mildly dampened this morning. Expecting a soaking on the way home though, it's horrible out there at the moment.
It rained all day whilst at work. Left for the commute home in the rain but luckily it stopped 5 minutes in and stayed dry for the rest of the time. Plenty of flooded roads to contend with though.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It rained all day whilst at work. Left for the commute home in the rain but luckily it stopped 5 minutes in and stayed dry for the rest of the time. Plenty of flooded roads to contend with though.

I got lucky too- it was raining steadily when I checked outside before leaving but by the time I'd got changed it was only raining lightly. Puddles tho', yeah.

Top Bottom