Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lost my cap on the way to work, was wearing a buff underneath so didn't immediately notice. It was dark so I carried on.

Found it at the roadside on the way home!

I'm know in my cycling circles as often having what is called a 'Capatastrophie' ie Losing ones cycling cap whilst on the move.

A couple of capastraphie's
In France with @Trickedem , I was descending a very long hill when halfway down, my cap decided to break for freedom, flying off my head. I spent an age looking for it getting angrier and angrier that I couldn't find it. In the end Tim came back up the hill wondering where I was and just as he rode into view I found the cap. As it had flown off it had caught on the velcro on the collar of my jacket and was hanging off my shoulder.. :rolleyes:

Another time, I was cycle commuting home when my cap decided to fly off. Luckily there was another cycle commuter just behind me. He caught it mid flight, caught up with me and gave it back...good man ^_^

Trickedem

Guru
I'm know in my cycling circles as often having what is called a 'Capatastrophie' ie Losing ones cycling cap whilst on the move.

A couple of capastraphie's
In France with @Trickedem , I was descending a very long hill when halfway down, my cap decided to break for freedom, flying off my head. I spent an age looking for it getting angrier and angrier that I couldn't find it. In the end Tim came back up the hill wondering where I was and just as he rode into view I found the cap. As it had flown off it had caught on the velcro on the collar of my jacket and was hanging off my shoulder.. :rolleyes:

Another time, I was cycle commuting home when my cap decided to fly off. Luckily there was another cycle commuter just behind me. He caught it mid flight, caught up with me and gave it back...good man ^_^
I can't wait to cycle on the Continent again. This was on our ride from Geneva to Calais and what a route it is. Although next time we will be doing it in reverse.

Tom B

Guru
Bit of a tough one today...

Set off extra early to call at the co-op to get supplies for our monthly bacon butty day at work. Got to co-op popped the bike in the foyer as I have for thr last 8yrs but was promptly admonished and told to take it out. He couldn't offer any explanation as to why it was suddenly an issue at 6am with only me and him in the shop. He clearly want going to change his mind so I went on my way.

Won't let it ruin my life. But had to put up with whinging colleagues. Next time I'll go to Aldi on the way home the day before.

Got to the half way point on the ride and the rear felt squidgy a mile further and it was flat. Decided it was only a smallish hole and because it was horrible weather just blew it up with a co2 and rode pretty much to work.

At some point after the flat my gluey makeshift repair on the sks chromoplastics jacked and the remaining bit of split leaving it flopping about. Stripped off the remnants at work.

Got wet and dirty on the way home. As odd as it may be the bike sounds odd with the missing guard.

Anyone want any front 35mm SKS Chromoplastics in black. I'll now have two spares!

simongt

Guru
What does intruge me is the number of cyclists that ride in the dark with only a rear light. Usually wearing dark clothing, it's very difficult to see them from the front, especially if they decide to turn at the last moment. If a car is coming from their left; e.g., junction or roundabout, thus won't be able to pick them out in headlights, how does the cyclist expect to be seen in time - ? :whistle:

Tom B

Guru
@Tom B , A flat I can deal with, no problem. Not getting the bacon? Well I dunno about that one.

Least it was on the way to work and not on the way home... Can't be accused of not bringing home the bacon...

Sorry...

I've tapped out last few days, been taking the car :surrender:

Not been in the car for over 4years now

Reactions: C R

simongt

Guru
I've tapped out last few days, been taking the car :surrender:
[/QUOTE]
So have I. But with the potential of riding twelve miles late at night in freezing fog and having ridden less far in such conditions before :thumbsdown:, decided the car was a more sensible option. But back on the bike today - ! :okay:

how's the weather looking?
Up until recently really good, the coldest day was -16C.
Yesterday was -26C so no bike yesterday Today it is -16C .
The cycling has been hindered more by warm temperatures rather than cold. The snow was very loose over an ice layer, was like riding in oatmeal no grip slow going.

But I am taking a couple days off the bicycle due sore knee from a "chainsaw incident", how very Canadian

A friend was cutting a fallen tree into firewood. Without warning he changed the direction he was cutting, and sent a large branch shooting at me. I was 15 feet away and it hit me just below the knee. I was lucky it just a cut and bruised up. Tomorrow the low is -12C so back to the bicycle tomorrow.

Top Bottom