Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
That's the end of another year's commuting and, with the exeption of one day, it was all done by bike.
The one exception was the Sunday of storm Ciara when I offered to go in on my day off so the rostered person wouldn't have to endure a 60+ mile round trip from Harwich with the Orwell Bridge being closed in advance and any other problems that happened on the day. Still think I could have biked in & back with care...

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Had a break from cycle commuting after a few too many dangerous close manoeuvres from motorists including a very close pass from a tipper truck. Basically I had began to dread and even hate cycling so a break was just what I needed.
Well I’m back with a smile and enjoyed today’s snow commute along the guided busway and NCN55 to Bolton. 7.30am was perfect with fresh snow and very few people about. The return leg was busier and the snow had started to thaw which is better than it freezing. Enjoy the photos

Tom B

Guru
Woke up and we'd been blessed with suprise snow. Nursery was shut for training / drinks so little lad had to make the 5 mile trip to druncle Simon's daycare centre.

Let the dog out for a waz and slipped on my backside, decided on the studded tyres.

Popped them on the bike, ably assisted by a three year old throwing ice at me and getting covered in oil. Slipped on my arse again. Noticed the rear pads were beyond worn and being wary that brand new disk on these wheels may take extra pad material off to bed in I quickly changed the pads (is say quickly, changing the pads wasn't an issue it was finding the new pads that took the time)

Got the littlun togged up, he's had the pox over crimbo so he's a bit scratchy and fussy over clothes. But we settled on a fleecy jumper and puddlesuit.

With Gary Garmin showing -2 We then set off, little lad was loving it spotting snowmen and screaming faster. Received some disapproving looks through the town but then got onto the old railway line and was able to crack on tons of dog walkers about. Dropped a very cheery happy lad off along with the seat and decided to have a look at the rub on the front mudguard. Found it was really a severe rub and bind due to the mudguard being badly bent over the years not amounts of fiddling sorted it so stripped off the flap which improved things and set off to work.

Forgot how much more hardwork the winter studded tyres are and noticed the front wasn't sat on the rim properly giving a bump/flatspot feel. Resolved to have a go at that when I got to work when I could pour a bucket of boiling water over it to soften it up.

Arrived at work an hour late 🥺

Late start meant late finish.
Return commute is more up than down which reaffirmed the tyres are hardwork.

Reseating the tyre seems to have not improved the matter, probably some corrosion or much on the rim but I was trying to sort it in a rush in the dark. It's in the to-do list.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Up early and commuting for the first time since the 22nd Dec. Light rain.

Didn't ride over the break except Elephant bike shopping trips and Beryl bikes (local bikeshare) for some other trips (an example: on Saturday I wanted to go for a walk so I took a Beryl bike to get closer to the start of my walk- gets the boring bit out of the way)

Jenkins

Legendary Member
And a crappy morning it is too. Cold, dark and wet. Welcome to 2021.
I've already had three of those, plus two of the afternon return legs as well. Looks like tomorrow will be number 4.

Tom B

Guru
Managed to resist the car and take the bike today, wasn't half as cold as I had feared. Rest of the week should be easy on the bike :smile:

I find that getting through the door is the hard bit.

Interestingly when the car isn't an option I just don't think twice it's only having the option that makes it more difficult.

But last year when the car was uninsured for a while it rained for about a month solidly. That wore thin, constantly having to dry and find dry clothes was a real chore.

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
^ Cold and wind is fine, but wet + cold + wind is too much for me. Looking out of the window I see clear sky today, and dry roads unlike yesterday. No excuses not to take the bike :smile:.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Start of the last lockdown traffic was at England vs Germany levels. Today was more Sweden vs Cameroon.

Heavy going. Headwind- not a strong one, felt worse than it should have done.

Top Bottom