Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sketchy as hell conditions this morning after all the rain over the previous days.

Freezing fog for the whole commute, pretty bad in places. Black ice and large frozen puddles everywhere. Was being very defensive and was trying to stay well away from the gutters but still ended up riding through a couple of frozen puddles which I didn't see in time. Just had to stop pedalling, keep the handlebars pointing straight and hope for the best.

And for some reason bad weather conditions encourage drivers to drive like muppets. Had several close and pointless passes and a ridiculous left hook at the place I got knocked off my bike a year ago where they ended up blocking my path because there was a pedestrian crossing the side road.

Wish all the cold and dark and wet would just go away. On the plus side sunset was at 4.20 today, slowly improving.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Two weeks of cycle commuting into the new year and it's not got off to a good start - 12 days of commutes, 7 wet in at least one direction raging from constant drizzle to "why the Fark didn't I use the car today", 2 being icy enough to need a change of route and only 3 'normal' days.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Spare tyre? Spare inner? I go the whole hog and take a spare wheel with me on the cycle commute.

Wheel going into lbs for new bearings.

lejogger

Guru
A very damp one on the Party Peninsular (Wirral) this morning. Although 'technically' it's not really a commute (it's just the miles I would do on my commute if I wasn't working from home... which I am...), it's basically just a diversion between moving from the bed to the dining room table.

Anyway, my overshoes, gloves and jacket all decided that keeping the rain, puddles and flooding at bay was too much like hard work, so I've had to turn the heater on in the garage to try and dry everything out.

Got similarly drenched last week (Thursday), and my bar tape still hadn't dried out by yesterday morning. I've ridden in the rain hundreds and hundreds of times before and never known that to happen before. I can't figure out if it's simply the time of year (too cold to dry out), the new bar tape I'm using (holding all the moisture), or if there's an environmental change in the garage of my new house contributing (insulated, 'habitable' garage conversion), as opposed to a bog standard garage at the old house. :wacko:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Pushed by the gentle hand of storm Christoph all the way in.

SSW FTW. Those are the days when I think I'm finally getting fit.

Mudguard still held on with cable tie.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Moist and some ! NCN55 flooded in places, this spot went over the crank 😳

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Storm Christopher hasn't really effected us in the SE. All we have is a bit of a breeze and some rain. Nothing bad. Luckily, I'm not working today so no cycle commute, so don't have to contend with it. Looking much drier tomorrow and Friday here.

Top Bottom