Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Finally a non-cloudy day so I could experience the sunrise. Quiet most of the way and then busier than ever on the industrial estate. Had to wait an entire light cycle to turn right.

Also: extra special day today:

GeekDadZoid

Ɯber Member
First commute of the year today and the bike is in its new config, now my commute is only 10 mins or so on the bike I use a messenger bag rather than panniers as I only need to take a laptop and a few other bits, no need to get changed etc. The bar bag is great for holding keys, wallet, phone, mask etc and nice and accessible.

I really enjoyed getting out today, I have done a quite a few leisure / fitness rides since christmas but they are not quite the same.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Black ice and an abnormal higher rate of tossers in vehicles only slightly spoiled todayā€™s commute due to the weather being wonderful.
I really donā€™t want to go down the camera route but I can see a need if peanuts in cars feel they can be dangerous around vulnerable road users !

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Stunning morning riding to work, light dusting of snow helped the grip and my two Donkeys were happy to see me when I arrived in work

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Bit of snow on Sunday but had a day off Monday so no commute. Had to go to Sainsbury's on the Elephant Bike on Monday though- felt confident using an icy shared path on it (it's an easy bike to bail out of if necessary). Cross bike with studs this morning for the brief bits of compacted icy snow at the start and end of my commute (no ice at all for the majority of the route).

This kind of stuff.
Snowtemp.png

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Crappy ride home. Because I had the crosser I just had my old Hope rechargeable front light fitted. Left work about sunset but it was raining so it was already dark, had been charging the battery pack all day but plugged in the lamp and it wasn't working. Gave a brief flash and died.

Got through the unlit rural section while it was still light-ish, hardly any junctions to the left so that wasn't too bad. Then once I got about halfway home- it was getting proper dark then- I sneaked down little residential streets, walked tricky junctions, cut through footpaths- at one point crossed a road using a pedestrian footbridge which was covered with the only ice still hanging around so I could hardly walk and got my gloves soaked holding the parapet for support. Took a bit longer than usual.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Crappy ride home. Because I had the crosser I just had my old Hope rechargeable front light fitted. Left work about sunset but it was raining so it was already dark, had been charging the battery pack all day but plugged in the lamp and it wasn't working. Gave a brief flash and died.

Well, I'm getting the expected 8.4V from the charger and 7.4V from the battery pack, nothing obviously adrift in the light unit.

Left early this morning, total darkness all the way. Back to the regular bike / lighting setup. Ordered a Lezyne USB front as a backup yesterday (used to always keep a blinky in my bag but never needed to use it, lost it eventually)

Top Bottom