Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ride home last night was nice with a tailwind, this morning another slog into a headwind. Only thing of note was whilst going slowly down a shared path a guy in workmans hard hat and high viz suddenly decided it was illegal for me to cycle there and tried grabbing my bars to stop me, I was quite startled but bloody angry so I got in his face a bit and pointed out the blue sign to him. He actually apologised!

I got mine because of the risk of injury but then decided to report close passes. It might encourage drivers to behave better if they realise they can be prosecuted based on this evidence. Once you are used to the process it takes very little time, and only if the occasional deluded idiot pleads NG do you have to go to court. In over 200 reports I have had to go to court 3 times.

I had my incident yesterday, I was close passed by what we would call a B Train (large grain hauling truck). Things get strange when the driver stops pulls over 0.5 a kilometer down the road. Driver gets out, I move and try to ride pass him. He keeps moving to block me but I get pass him. The driver then shoves me but I steady myself on the parked B train. He has now touched me and the red mist is descending I must control myself.
I ride a good 0.5 kilometers down the road and take a picture of the assailant and his license plate number.

He has calmed down now and tries to explain the laws of the road to me as I was to far over into the road and that I am legally required to ride in the ditch. I call him a farking Idiot, he could not be further from the truth. I get him to Google it, proof literally in his hand, still wont concede defeat.

He then offers to call the police to settle this. I have already spent 5 minutes more than I need to on this, I head home. I know I have no proof ,I left my Gopro at home there is not point in calling the police.

About 30 minutes later when I get home I call the non emergency police line. He has already reported me for obstructing the traffic and running into him with my bicycle. At this point the constable admits the truck driver was in the wrong but nothing can be done as there is no proof.
Cop then decides I need a lecture in bicycle safety . Why does anyone ever call the police total waste of time and effort.

Gopro was charged up and on my bicycle this morning.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had my incident yesterday, I was close passed by what we would call a B Train (large grain hauling truck). Things get strange when the driver stops pulls over 0.5 a kilometer down the road. Driver gets out, I move and try to ride pass him. He keeps moving to block me but I get pass him. The driver then shoves me but I steady myself on the parked B train. He has now touched me and the red mist is descending I must control myself.
I ride a good 0.5 kilometers down the road and take a picture of the assailant and his license plate number.

He has calmed down now and tries to explain the laws of the road to me as I was to far over into the road and that I am legally required to ride in the ditch. I call him a farking Idiot, he could not be further from the truth. I get him to Google it, proof literally in his hand, still wont concede defeat.

He then offers to call the police to settle this. I have already spent 5 minutes more than I need to on this, I head home. I know I have no proof ,I left my Gopro at home there is not point in calling the police.

About 30 minutes later when I get home I call the non emergency police line. He has already reported me for obstructing the traffic and running into him with my bicycle. At this point the constable admits the truck driver was in the wrong but nothing can be done as there is no proof.
Cop then decides I need a lecture in bicycle safety . Why does anyone ever call the police total waste of time and effort.

Gopro was charged up and on my bicycle this morning.
Nasty incident, what a twerp. It's a shame but I do feel the camera gives some protection against false accusations and possibly, evidence should any civil claim arise. Not just for reporting bad driving.. glad you stayed safe.

Reactions: C R

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Dodgy overtake on the unlit section of the Bedmond road this morning (this is where they mostly occur)

Gave me plenty of room, same can't be said for the oncoming e-biker.

Nice weather though eh?

Nasty incident, what a twerp. It's a shame but I do feel the camera gives some protection against false accusations and possibly, evidence should any civil claim arise. Not just for reporting bad driving.. glad you stayed safe.
I took some wisdom from Penny and Sheldon of the Big Bang Theory. I took my frustrations and imagined them as a pen, but not a good pen, and then I let it go.

Tom B

Guru
A few weeks of uneventful if getting busier commuting.

But then on Thursday was on my way back from picking up the little lad from nursery. On a NCN, albeit a narrow bit between barriers on each side. It's a bit of a hump back bridge shaped section.

Noticed a woman walking towards me on my left so moved right and spotted she had a chihuahua loose behind her. Kept slowing and as I got close she dodged right into my path, so inwardly tutted and moved left as I passed her I crested the hump. As I passed she grabbed my right wrist and pulled my hand off the brake and handlebars. I snatched my arm back and have her a shoved away. She screamed at me "What the f#@% was that for!" Then said something about running her dog over, and for good measure shouted "you wierdo!"

I wanted my tea so didn't hang around to discuss the matter with what was clearly an idiot.

The crackers thing is that she very nearly ended up with me, a bike and a large toddler piled up on top of her or squashing her and the pooch against a steel barrier. All the while her dog was sighted and out of harms way behind her. By grabbing my arm she took my hand off the front brake and caused me to veer towards the dog and removing what would have been an easy ability to stop for the damn pavement shitter.

Always amazes me how often people are surprised to find bikes on a clearly signed NCN.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Gravel.png

Bit of gravel on the way in (on a 'cross bike that was built up from a second-hand frame in 2008)
Too busy to stop and take a proper photo :smile:

Shorts ride later.

rivers

How far can I go?
It was a beautiful morning this morning for a ride into work. I took my TT bike because I couldn't be asked to swap the pedals onto my summer bike (or take it off of the turbo).

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A few weeks of uneventful if getting busier commuting.

But then on Thursday was on my way back from picking up the little lad from nursery. On a NCN, albeit a narrow bit between barriers on each side. It's a bit of a hump back bridge shaped section.

Noticed a woman walking towards me on my left so moved right and spotted she had a chihuahua loose behind her. Kept slowing and as I got close she dodged right into my path, so inwardly tutted and moved left as I passed her I crested the hump. As I passed she grabbed my right wrist and pulled my hand off the brake and handlebars. I snatched my arm back and have her a shoved away. She screamed at me "What the f#@% was that for!" Then said something about running her dog over, and for good measure shouted "you wierdo!"

I wanted my tea so didn't hang around to discuss the matter with what was clearly an idiot.

The crackers thing is that she very nearly ended up with me, a bike and a large toddler piled up on top of her or squashing her and the pooch against a steel barrier. All the while her dog was sighted and out of harms way behind her. By grabbing my arm she took my hand off the front brake and caused me to veer towards the dog and removing what would have been an easy ability to stop for the damn pavement shitter.

Always amazes me how often people are surprised to find bikes on a clearly signed NCN.

Very odd behaviour, then again owning a handbag bitey yappy thing is odd behaviour I reckon.

biking_fox

Guru
Took the long way home last night - north out of Manchester centre on the Ashton canal planning to pick up the Loop back around to home. It's my standard sunny evening ride home from work, a bonus hour or so. First time I've used it this year. Was a little dismayed to find the towpath abruptly closed. "For demolition work" no diversions in place. (todays' research https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19332-brunswick-mill-bradford-road-ashton-canal). My sense of direction isn't brilliant but the road seemed to be parallel to the canal, and then there was a bridge over an obvious canal, so down onto the towpath and off I set. I was fairly sure it wasn't the same canal I recognised but heading more or less in the right direction.... It was the Rochdale canal and significantly out of my way. Fortunately the phone had enough battery to navigate me how through many Manchester districts I'd not been in before. Only a bit late back, but a fun ride.

This week has been tailwind in, headwind out which after a day at work is getting tedious. This afternoons ride home was made more tedious by some guy twice my size and probably 20 years younger, wheel sucking me for 5 miles. I slowed down on several occassions to give him a hint to get on the front but he refused to budge from behind me, I had to try and mentally ignore and just carry on doing my thing.

Punkawallah

Über Member
What a great commute today. 3 miles in and a rear wheel puncture. OK repaired using new tube in about 10 minutes. It was a slowish loud hiss so was able to find the glass in the tyre straight away. New Bontrager pump was brill.

Coming home was hit by the mother off all storms. Thunder, lightening, hail and rain. Roads were absolutely chaotic with 50 per cent of them flooded. At one stage I was overtaking cars as they very cautiously maneuvered the rivers that had developed in the roads.

I've never pedaled under water before ( and I mean under water, the water level was well over my bottom bracket). It was really fun.

Don't need to dread summer rain ever again :smile:

Yup. It only goes as far as your skin :-)

Top Bottom