Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
"until Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill Shall come against him"

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I don't think I ever get bored of this view on my commute. Picture really doesn't do it justice.
Back in 1990 there was only the one skyscraper in the Docklands. Canada Tower (partially hidden by the street lamp in the middle) Now look at it. And they are still building.
View attachment 591973
I think I prefer the view on my commute (from a few weeks ago)
Misty spring morning (3).jpg

Fun and games on the commute this morning, missed the opportunity to catch a bike thief. Going down CS3 there was a guy running down the cycleway shouting at a bloke all in grey , " oi bruv youve got my bike" or something similar.
bike thief1.PNG

you can see the thief outlined against the white van. One cyclist was on the road deciding whether to chase or not. I caught up with the runner and he confirmed the guy had nicked his bike. I had slowed to talk to the runner so the thief had a bit of a head start

bike thief 1.5.PNG

He looked a bit chunky so I reckoned I would catch him no problem but he was quicker than I expected. However within 300 metres/ 25 secondsI was nearly on him
bike thief2.PNG

However going fast around the bend my back wheel went a little sideways which was no problem but the dam chain came off and I dam near ruined the family jewels on the cross bar trying to sprint ut of the corner. There were a couple of younger guys behind me who were on the chase so maybe they did catch him. By the time I had un-jammed the chain the victim had also ran past me and the chase was in another borough and I had no idea where they had gone so continued on with my commute. Pity I never got close enough for my pictures to be off any use.

2020_06_08_Commute_01.jpg

Second day of the new commute; I'm still getting into my stride on this one and trying to find the right balance between getting there in reasonable time and pacing myself so I don't wear myself out...

2020_06_08_Commute_02.jpg

in other news I've just found two frames on the "rubbish" pile of the bike recycling workshop at work. One is Hi-ten steel and is rusty, but has lugs for bottom bar shifters, the other is Chromoly but I'd need to fit lugs. Both have butted frames. I dragged them away from the scrap and hid them under an old wagon in the corner of the yard, I'll have a look at them tomorrow...

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Still on my easy 1.5 mile commute with the reopening of a city centre office still no closer by all accounts.

Been a cracking week to ride about, made plenty of excuses to do extra trips, including a lunch time trip over to meet the family today.

Been some rubbish driving this week too, including one today where a car overtook me as we where approaching a lollipop man who was stopping the traffic. I knew he was going to be trouble as I passed home about 100m earlier, he was parked on the pavement outside a school waiting for his kid.

On a very positive note think I have seen more bikes this last few weeks than for ever, loads of people commuting / utility cycling.

Yesterday the weather was poor while I was at work, then dry when I cycled back, and started raining heavily with added thunder when I was at the apartment.

This was such an unnerving inversion of normality I was forced to assume it was because of Quantum, or possibly butterflies.

Today, normal service was resumed: warm and sunny until I was riding back whereupon I met a storm coming the other way.
The sudden, brief wall of heat as I went under the edge of the storm was startling

Last edited:
Boring headwind this morning, then going through Rainham in heavy traffic my Camera/Garmin mount decided to suddenly break ( a Lifeline mount) . The expensive heavy combo of FLy12 and Garmin 1030 then bounced down the road in front of me and luckily bounced left onto the pavement out of the way of traffic.
Luckily I had invested in a shock case and screen protector for the garmin and was completely un-scathed, my venerable Fly 12 just got a couple more battle scars.
The pair seem to be too heavy for these mounts, this is the 2nd Lifeline mount I have wrecked along with 2 very expensive cycliq ones . Ill have to dig out my old seperate mounts and do it that way.

Going up a short hill another cyclist caught me up and rode beside me then gave me some unwanted advice, " you would go faster mate if you used the small ring" I thought cheeky fecker and felt like poking him in the eye.

Tom B

Guru
Riding to work a couple of days ago had to stop in
traffic on a road with large overhanging trees.

Was about 3 cars back from a long artic quarry tipper. While waiting noted a massive commotion in the tree above. Two grey squirrels having a massive fight on a large branch. After a short while one fell from the branch into back of the wagon hopper. Wagon the drove off with loser nutkin in the back.

Can only imagine the victorious squirrel (watching from above) being rather pleased with how that worked out.

Loser nutkin is probably forming the foundations of a road somewhere now as I can't imagine they check the hopper before filling it.

C R

Guru
First commute today since the first lockdown. I got to work and I realised I had left an important laptop doohickey at home, luckily my commute is only 1.6 miles each way, so no problem going back for it. Two commutes for the price of one.

Top Bottom