Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Much excitement: the cycleway alongside the closed section of between our village and the next has been resurfaced: we have 2.5km of smooth flat goodness.

And still güügle tries to send me along a 3.5km triangle with two unnecessary hills...

You need to go play Pool on it, if it's that good. :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
Forecast this morning (in manchester) was for heavy rain from lunchtime through to tomorrow. It's now 16:30 and not started raining (forecast is for current rain). Should I try to nip home early and beat it or will I get soaked whatever?

Lights here are variably necessary between 5-6pm depending on cloud cover. Not required for an 8:15am ride in. Clocks go back this weekend, so will require lights every night, but may escape them on morning riders all year.
I leave the house at about 7:00 for the ride in, so have been needing full lights for the early part of the ride for a while now, switching to flashing later on.

Coming home, I leave the office just after 4:30, getting home between 5:30 and 5:45, so will definitely be needing full seeing mode lights for a lot of that after the clocks go back.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
First rainy commute for over 3 weeks. Not torrential but we nevertheless.
Brightening up now and hopefully a dry commute home.

Rainy commute # 28 for the year

Alex321

Veteran
Mixed weather for me on the way in. AT least the rain had stopped long enough overnight that roads weren't actually flooded, which I was worried about when I went to bed.

First 8 miles or so, no rain, fairly windy. It started raining at about St Brides Super-Ely, eased off just after St Fagans, then started again as I turned onto the Taff embankments, and absolutely pissed down from there to the office. Really glad we not only have a shower, but also a tumble drier in eth office, so at least I won't be putting wet kit on when I start the journey home.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mixed weather for me on the way in. AT least the rain had stopped long enough overnight that roads weren't actually flooded, which I was worried about when I went to bed.

First 8 miles or so, no rain, fairly windy. It started raining at about St Brides Super-Ely, eased off just after St Fagans,

Blimey. Some of my family live in Taffs Well, near the footy ground. not to far from your commute.

Alex321

Veteran
Blimey. Some of my family live in Taffs Well, near the footy ground. not to far from your commute.
I used to go that way when I commuted previously, 25 years or so ago, when I lived in Pontypridd and worked in Cardiff.

But now I live in the Vale of Glamorgan (Ystradowen), and work in Cardiff Bay - we are now back in the office two days a week, which I choose to be Wednesday and Friday. I'd have more hills (and would be further) if I went round by Taffs Well from where I am now.

This is my route in at the moment
1635503350255.png
https://www.strava.com/activities/6182129076

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Torrential rain last 4 miles. Absolutely soaked. Ah well.
Raining oop Norf...whoda thunk it ^_^
Better not mention the sunny blue skies we had today ^_^

rivers

How far can I go?
I was going to start testing bits for an off-road commute today. Turned off onto a bridleway to be met by a lake. I think I'll let it dry out a bit first.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Raining oop Norf...whoda thunk it ^_^
Better not mention the sunny blue skies we had today ^_^
And the light winds - it really was quite pleasant down here.

From tonights commute home, it looks like the gritters have been out for the first time of this half of the year - just a light dusting on the main roads.

Top Bottom