Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard_Moon

Regular
Bright but chilly along the River Tyne this morning. Don't think I bumped into anyone who wasn't in a car till the last mile...perfect

rivers

How far can I go?
I had a bit of fun on the way home last night- nothing dangerous just a little annoying/funny. I overtook another cyclist near Keynsham High Street, and carried on towards the A4/Bristol. It's a little down hill bit, before hitting a roundabout, followed by a flat section of road, another mini roundabout, and then you start heading uphill towards the fire station. I'm about halfway up the hill, and can see the flashing light of another cyclist behind me. He overtakes, and I notice it's the cyclist I overtook by the high street. Not a big deal, I don't really care if I'm overtaken. I'm on my way home, and I still have a training session that I need to do once I'm home. Except he slows down... So I overtake him again, and continue on my way. As I rejoin the main carriageway on the A4, I can now see he his several hundred metres behind.

View: https://youtu.be/sklaBTY2x4g

Tom B

Guru
My route to work consists of a right turn off one main road to another (in a tight turn lane) then a few hundred metres later a left turn then very quickly a right turn. Just turning into the side road today about to make the right turn into the work carpark when got a big blast on a horn. Looked around thinking it'd be a comedy colleague following me in but no. It was some random woman who took exception to me holding the right hand side of the lane (to turn right)

Not content with blowing her horn she decided to turn around by mounting the pavement to continue arguing. Well I say arguing... Ranting.

The first right turn turns into a dual carriageway I tend to hold the primary position in lane 1 as there are always parked cars in lane 1 and relinquish it quickly if there are no parked cars. Today we had parked cars so I'd taken the primary position, prior to turning left off the main road the road surface is badly deteriorated rutted alligatored and sunken (thanks Transco) so I tend to hold the lane 1 primary to the lights at this junction, turn left into the side road and hold the right side of the left side of the road for my right turn.

I signalled but admittedly I hadn't held my signal turning right at the first turn partly because I was digging in hard to accelerate and because the surface at the turn is very loose and gravelly.

At the left turn I again didn't signal as the road surface is so rough both approaching the junction and on the actual turn. I also thought it prudent to brake leaning on the rear brake as the front would possibly get away from me on the loose surface. As she blew up I was about to signal as I use my right arm out with my pass in hand to trigger the gate to open.

There was no arguing with the woman no idea what her issue was that caused her to take time out of her day to be so angry and rude. But she was upset when I suggested she got out of her tin box and came to discuss it like and adult. I was about to invite her in and we could borrow another bike so she could see it from my POV.

She can be rude to me but I can't be rude to her...

Ohumm

If you see this Little Miss Angry The offer stands - PS Just chill out life will be far more pleasurable.

Last edited:
Bright but chilly morning , had to go t a different place took the scenic route, which goes over Gummers How road (Fell Foot Brow on maps) a hill so horrific even the Fred Whitton doesn’t go over it, As I approached the brow, a cargo trike approached from the other direction, its rider on the phone so he was approaching a terrible long steep descent, with a deep ditch, steering and braking with one hand. “This isn’t going to go well” I thought and stopped to watch. Didn’t have to watch long. About 20metres into his descent he started to weave about, then he went into the ditch. Eventually He climbed out, still talking into his phone, last thing I heard him say was “Oh, I just fell off my trike, it was nothing”.
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.2847912,-2.9376813,3001m/data=!3m1!1e3

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Chilly but not quite that bad here. Between 1 and 4 all the way in.

Yep, about same in South East Londinium. Pesky low sun though.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had a bit of fun on the way home last night- nothing dangerous just a little annoying/funny. I overtook another cyclist near Keynsham High Street, and carried on towards the A4/Bristol. It's a little down hill bit, before hitting a roundabout, followed by a flat section of road, another mini roundabout, and then you start heading uphill towards the fire station. I'm about halfway up the hill, and can see the flashing light of another cyclist behind me. He overtakes, and I notice it's the cyclist I overtook by the high street. Not a big deal, I don't really care if I'm overtaken. I'm on my way home, and I still have a training session that I need to do once I'm home. Except he slows down... So I overtake him again, and continue on my way. As I rejoin the main carriageway on the A4, I can now see he his several hundred metres behind.

View: https://youtu.be/sklaBTY2x4g

Sexist ? Or just writing a cheque he could not cash?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My route to work consists of a right turn off one main road to another (in a tight turn lane) then a few hundred metres later a left turn then very quickly a right turn. Just turning into the side road today about to make the right turn into the work carpark when got a big blast on a horn. Looked around thinking it'd be a comedy colleague following me in but no. It was some random woman who took exception to me holding the right hand side of the lane (to turn right)

Not content with blowing her horn she decided to turn around by mounting the pavement to continue arguing. Well I say arguing... Ranting.

The first right turn turns into a dual carriageway I tend to hold the primary position in lane 1 as there are always parked cars in lane 1 and relinquish it quickly if there are no parked cars. Today we had parked cars so I'd taken the primary position, prior to turning left off the main road the road surface is badly deteriorated rutted alligatored and sunken (thanks Transco) so I tend to hold the lane 1 primary to the lights at this junction, turn left into the side road and hold the right side of the left side of the road for my right turn.

I signalled but admittedly I hadn't held my signal turning right at the first turn partly because I was digging in hard to accelerate and because the surface at the turn is very loose and gravelly.

At the left turn I again didn't signal as the road surface is so rough both approaching the junction and on the actual turn. I also thought it prudent to brake leaning on the rear brake as the front would possibly get away from me on the loose surface. As she blew up I was about to signal as I use my right arm out with my pass in hand to trigger the gate to open.

There was no arguing with the woman no idea what her issue was that caused her to take time out of her day to be so angry and rude. But she was upset when I suggested she got out of her tin box and came to discuss it like and adult. I was about to invite her in and we could borrow another bike so she could see it from my POV.

She can be rude to me but I can't be rude to her...

Ohumm

If you see this Little Miss Angry The offer stands - PS Just chill out life will be far more pleasurable.

Some people are provoked just by the presence of another person riding a bike in front of them. Needs to chill out, as you say.

Top Bottom