Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Indeed. I had to go down that route a few years back when I moved. Bike/Train/Bike. I bought myself a Brommie, which I just didn't enjoy riding. Luckily the train route I was using wasn't fantastically busy so I changed back to a big boys bike.
So your train company are allowing non foldable bikes at rush hour then?
It's GWR. No one said anything on the first local service. And it has the stupid compartments on the second train, which were empty.

No bicycle today, first real snow of the year. This is a staying snow will be on the ground until March/April.
I bought a elite trainer so I will do an hour on Zwift to make up for lost commute time,

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
First commute today after not riding to work last week due to painful hip flexor. Enjoyable except for two incidents - one in the morning when a driver pulled out onto the roundabout I was using right in front of me (I could foresee what they were going to do and had the brakes covered); and the second on the way home when I had a van honking their horn at me for taking primary as I rode through a pinch point of an already narrow road.

Unfortunately, no cycle commute tomorrow as time doesn't allow due to Dad's Taxi being in full demand for Wacky Wednesday as usual.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
After a driver ranted & swore at me on Monday for wearing hi-vis, having lights and having a camera sign, which had deterred him from trying to squeeze past me on a narrow country lane, and having observed the same driver on the same lane at the same time yesterday (from my car) I altered my route/timing to work to avoid him.

Things started very well, with a driver letting me out in traffic, all smiles, then got even better when a friend driving to work followed a little way behind me and greeted me at a junction.

Then the climb up & around the quarry featured an enormous rat sat in the middle of the road which was amusing.

The A38 was full of queuing drivers though, which made it easy to sail happily past them on the outside, giving way to drivers emerging from the right again with many smiles. Splendid !

Indeed. I had to go down that route a few years back when I moved. Bike/Train/Bike. I bought myself a Brommie, which I just didn't enjoy riding. Luckily the train route I was using wasn't fantastically busy so I changed back to a big boys bike.
So your train company are allowing non foldable bikes at rush hour then?
I did the bike/train/bike thing today and thankfully Great Northern allow full size bikes just North of London. The route surprisingly was fairly quiet although I could see it being a bit of a 'rat run' some days despite sections of it being on roads with passing points. I also heard about plans to add a road closure/ sustainable filter which would be ideal for me.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Closest call for a long while today and I was only on the short commute.

Turning right at one of those small but not mini roundabouts a car accelerated onto it as I was passing their entrance, luckily I was alert and the driver's brakes did not let them down when they finally spotted me.

I think what happened is there was a fellow cyclists in front of her and he pulled out as there was plenty of space for us both, she obviously presumed it was clear and floored it.

Got the heart racing :wacko:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Had a rather close pass today just before Fairwater
Close Pass

Otherwise a routine commute
https://www.strava.com/activities/6277824904
One for OPSnap there, I believe they take it seriously in Wales?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
You know, I never even thought about that. Duh!

But I can't make out the registration number, so probably no point :sad:
That's a shame, yes you do need the registration. Frame -by- frame view might yield it, or rear camera? Driver should certainly be warned about this dangerous behaviour otherwise they'll carry on until they kill.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Off to work on late shift and had an into my ear.Shook my head and swatted at it then caught a bump in the road and lost control into the mud at the side of the road and crashed into a hedge.
Shoulder felt sore and as I straightened the bars I realized it painful.I was about to try and get back on the bike when it dawned on me I was really hurt.
Phoned home but no answer so had to contact the father in law who took me to hospital.
After getting painkillers they managed to get my jersey off without cutting it and was sent for an x-ray.
Yup I have broke my collar bone 🙁 and with a manual job I guess I'm off work for a while. Apparently I'm being referred to a fracture consultant so I guess when that comes I can pass it onto my private health care provider for faster help.
Ready now for more painkillers!

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Cracking autumn commute today, fine tuning the fully on road route which is coming along nicely.

Was on the Brompton today which performed excellent as ever.

Top Bottom