Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Absolutely nithering cold this morning, and well before sunrise too in the depths of winter.

A rich reward though, with the sight of a barn owl floating low above the frosted fields through the etheral pre-dawn light.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No suck luck seeing a barn owl where I live in SE Londinium this morning. Don't get many of those in these here parts.

It was a tad cold again this morning. I had trouble with the garage lock freezing. After a couple of minutes tooing and froing with the key, manage to free it. A quick squirt of WD40 will hopefully stoop that from happening again.

Most of the roads are now very clear with the main roads completely fine now and starting to see other hardy cycle commuting souls venturing out again.

Today's commuting sock.
Ice Cream and donuts
1671008675872.png

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I often tell people that my commute takes about the same amount of time all year round but I don't think it's true. When it's cold it takes me ages, the legs don't work so well and then there's the fatter, softer, tyres (a studded one on the front for the last two days)
Feet got cold today- still haven't found those overshoes.

Will find them in June no doubt.

Alex321

Veteran
I often tell people that my commute takes about the same amount of time all year round but I don't think it's true. When it's cold it takes me ages, the legs don't work so well and then there's the fatter, softer, tyres (a studded one on the front for the last two days)
Feet got cold today- still haven't found those overshoes.

Will find them in June no doubt.

Yes, I'm definitely slower in the winter.

A combination of a lot of the commute being in the dark, wearing more clothes, wet roads meaning higher rolling resistance, and as you say, cold legs just not working quite as well. I don't change my tyres, but I can see that would make another difference for those who do.

biking_fox

Guru
I deliberately ride slower in winter - higher leg rpm in a lower gear - in order to generate body heat and reduce wind chill.
My first ride for a week! too many parties! -severalC but not too bad once I'd got going. Stayed off the ungritted cyclelanes but the roads were fine.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Very cold this morning , so cold the edge 130 packed up before i got to work .First of all i though the battery was iffy but it started up fine and was about 2/3 full on the battery indicator .
Although it was cold the roads were clear as they have gritted and there were no patches of ice as its been dry for so long there is no standing water .

Spartak