Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
wow @roubaixtuesday , that's a fair amount of snow there. Thankfully no sign of the dreadful stuff down here in sunny London. Bit frosty though and minus temps.

It's not as much as it looks, only about an inch in reality. Temperatures only around zero, not really icy, nice this morning but anticipate wet and slushy tonight. Still good to be out.

biking_fox

Guru
Today much like yesterday - a replacement couple mm at most. Main roads fine - some ungritted side roads looking pretty slippy. Stayed off the cycle lanes. Did start snowing again just as I got to manchester centre which is always fun.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Today much like yesterday - a replacement couple mm at most. Main roads fine - some ungritted side roads looking pretty slippy. Stayed off the cycle lanes. Did start snowing again just as I got to manchester centre which is always fun.

I was actually in the car today as MrsF wanted a lift in so she could go out on the lemonade after work. Weird snowfall patterns in South Manchester. Nothing in the East, but a fair amount in Hazel Grove and out towards the Airport and Hale. Nothing everywhere else, including North Manchester.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Managed to get off work early enough yesterday to do the scenic route home. Only 10k further than normal, but 400m more climbing.

Shining Tor, well, "shining" in the last rays of evening sun:

20230119_162054.jpg

Sunset:

20230119_162318.jpg

And Lamaload Reservoir, brooding in the winter gloom:

20230119_163607.jpg

Some very icy back roads in this morning.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Started work an hour later than normal this morning so I left home at 8am rather than 7am - is it always this bad? At least with the earlier start I only get the afternoon school run whereas with the later start I got the combination of the morning school run and the commuters. I don't think the dark & frosty starts are so bad after all.

Still haven't found them.

-5: me feets were cold this morning.

Brr...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Missel this morning, but much warmer - lightweight full finger gloves on. Getting lighter for the start and end of my commute. Was enough not to need the big light on the first half last night.

Oh and about late starts, I had one on Friday (30 minutes later), and oh, my, the traffic near work (Whalley Range) around the Grammar school, was insane. Some absolutely stupid driving, was glad to get into Alexandra Park to get away from it. The 400 yards either side of the school was insane, including the main road junction. Anyone with any sense would drop their kids outside this area, and be on their way !

mangid

Guru
I've let myself be intimidated into taking a cycle path over the A14 (Dry Drayton), this morning came off as I hit sheet ice. Banged and bruised, road rash on hip, shoulder hurts, but is moving under protest so probably okay, and feels like I've cracked a rib. Rather annoyed, negotiated it fine yesterday and Monday when it was way colder. Grrgghhh

Top Bottom