Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
It's starting to get nippy on both the morning and evening commutes, it wouldn't be too bad if not for the section of CS3 I ride which goes alongside the A13.
It's a rather wide and open road, and it can be up to three lanes in either direction (or up to 6 lanes in total), thankfully there is the nice wide cycle path off to the side of it, but it does rather expose you to the wind...

http://goo.gl/maps/LzN8w
It looks rather nice in the Google maps images, but at this time of year, it is not :cold:

I cannot be that bad if I keep going back there though, can it..? :rolleyes: :tongue:

Dmcd33

2 lanes, 1 turning left, other turning right.
I'm turning right so in right lane.
BMW behind me beeps.
I indicate and point to me doing right turn
BMW Beeps again
I pull up to the junction in the right lane, he pull's into the left lane.
Problem? I ask
You were in the middle of the lane he said
I know, I am turning right
You should be on the left hand side of the road
Why is that? I ask, I am turning right not left.
You should cycle on the left.
Have you read the highway code? I said
Have you? he says.
Yes said I and if you had then you will know that you are breaking the law by not wearing a seatbelt.
He gave me the finger.
Goodbye.

Got beeped for the same thing yesterday, but the guy then came up beside me and screamed/squeeled "get out of the farking road". He then proceeded to drive very close to me. I had pulled out to avoid 2 lorries making deliveries and a car poking its bonnet out of a side road. I moved over for about 4 seconds. Got his number and reported it to the police online. They came back saying they had a registered car by that number, but due to some doubt about his reg they were not going to pursue it?

NB: first incident like this for about 2 years. I feel it has something to do with a change of vibe in London since the spate of cyclist deaths and the perception that cyclist are to blame (from radio stations and websites, that's my impression of the general concensus?)

Very sad. I just want to ride to work? even when you play by the rules you get abuse

kipster

Guru
Had to pop to the post office before work which added 3 miles to the commute. All good apart from a car trying to overtake in a 30 limit with me doing 32 and catching the lorry in front. I just moved to the centre of the lane to keep him from making a mistake. He did drop back so got the message. Nice commute home without any breeze, used it as a bit of sprint practice for a duathlon I'm doing Sunday.

Well a full week of commuting, (it's been a while) 107 miles and a mixture of road and mountain bike routes used.
Nothing unusual to report, apart from a big smile on my face. Must admit to feeling pretty tired today, but after 11 months of illness, surgery, recovery, more surgery and a return to work I guess I can't complain.
Bikes cleaned and ready for Monday morning, let's hope the bad weather that is forecast doesn't go and spoil it all!

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Pulled up by cabbie at Waterloo,interested in my Christmas tree lights on the frame.Then lorry driver at Blackfriars Bridge honked me and gave me a thumbs up.The motorist when I was coming off of Southwark Bridge to Upper Thames street was remarking I had too many lights,I could hear him shouting.Not forgetting the ped who also commented at a set of traffic lights near Waterloo.They drew quite a bit of attention tonight strangely.(I've had them on for about the last two or three months)The ride back wasn't really too wonderful,especially around the Stratford area.The driving seems to have got worse after these incidents,not better (which I expected).Near miss with ped at Bethnal Green,he was crossing the road from right to left.and I saw him very late.I think my concentration was taking up by cars on the junction.Managed to do a controlled sharp stop without having to swerve.Would be interested to see how the camera took it all in.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Camera review actually shows ped did everything right and didn't panic although I managed to stop in time without having to squeeze through the gap he left me.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I got excused going to the Christmas fair today and Jannie has gone with her parents. It's grim and grey out there but I have not ridden since Mallorca because I have had a cold. I need some fresh air.

Koga Traveller or Kickbike ????!? Breakfast first and then I will decide.

Steve

thefatcyclist

Organized a bike mechanic to visit one of the buildings I manage so came in really early (for me anyway) to meet him and it was bliss hardly any traffic by comparison to my normal start time even the drizzle for the full 12 miles didn't spoil the ride.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Watched the BBC weather forecast before I left home at 6.30am. "Dry until around 6pm this evening". Oh good, I'll be home before then. Got absolutely soaked on the way in!!! Flipping BBC! Anyway all the kit is now drying out ready for a dry return home. Not sure why I bothered cleaning the commuter bike yesterday though.

Stephen C

Über Member
Spent all weekend stripping my bike down for her pre-winter service, but the fog this morning turned out to be just light rain and the roads were dirty, so she is now completely filthy! Good ride in all, no wind, couple of close passes, but nothing to really worry about.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
A fairly uneventful commute...

One incident on the way into work, idiot driver decided to do a three point turn on a main road right in front of me (while I was doing ~20mph), I pulled the brakes hard (discs thankfully), but of course the roads were soaked, the disc and pads were wet, so it was a bit bottom clenching, oh, and then of course the back of the bike had to come out... I was so very, very close to going into the side of his car... I was very surprised I stopped, didn't hit him and stayed on the bike... The idiot has no idea just how close he came to delaying himself for a lot, lot longer than if he had just let me pass without doing something that stupid... f*in three point turn on a main road like that, and in the wet, grrrrr...

Other than that, a lovely drizzly morning, made all that much more fun by the lovely wind blowing along the A13/CS3 :rolleyes:

:banghead:

Top Bottom