Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Last night I went home via Waitrose on the Botley rd as I needed a few bits. A little out of my way but incentivised by their decent quality, good value brie and garlic. Was in a hurry to get out the office door to do as much of the ride in daylight as possible, the skies opening once I was on my way and battling a headwind as I chased the blue sky to the west.

By the time I got to the shop the highly unpleasant weather had abated somewhat and I quickly carted the Brompton round the isles. Having spent £18 on not a lot and had a nice chat with a decent bloke on the checkout I was on my way. Fancied heading back into town via Willow walk (and thus avoid the roads and bottleneck at the station due to all the work going on) however predictably that part of the world remained a lake so it was back the way I'd come..

View attachment 722788

The weather remained reasonable for the rest of the ride to the car; progress being slow thanks to the wind and my knackered legs. No great distance but a bit of an epic one thanks to the existing tiredness / aching / lots of small tasks / hinderances and a few hours later I was very glad to be fed and in bed, following a nice hot shower.

This morning was bright, clear, cold and thankfully less windy; with a beautiful sunrise. Passed epic coat dude who this time was sporting a less epic, more conventional single-breasted wool effort. Scored some sausages and pushed the boat out with some scotch eggs, toes were still cold when I got the office and I'm now straddling the small heater that lives under the desk..

If my memory serves me right, was there initial uncertainty about whether you would commute through the winter when you first got your Brompton? If that's the case, you've managed admirably, nearly making it through the shittiest part of the year.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
There's almost zero life left on any of the bits I'm discarding - when I remove everything I'll post a picture of the rear rim after 6100 miles of all weather (mostly grotty) use. It's safe to say I'm hardly using the rear brake at the moment just in case!

As for the rear tyre & tube - they're already in the bin. I went to add 'get me home' air on leaving work only to be able to hear the air start to escape as it got up to pressure. Back into the locker room with the wheel, off with the tyre and out with the tube to find out that the valve stem was coming away from the tube so in the bin it went. In with the emergency spare tube from the locker (glad I'd not cleared that out yet), add air, replace the wheel on the bike and off home. Guess what then suffered from a loud "phut" followed by an almost instantanious deflation 2.5 miles from home? Gave up and walked from there.

Inspection in the shed found a large cut to the tyre and that the central rubber surface was lifting away from the tyre carcase so into the bin and on with one of the tyres I picked up from the 'For Sale' section on CycleChat. The tube was patchable so has been re-used.

Cool - sounds like you've absolutely wrung the most out of all of that kit. Good effort :smile:

wafter

If my memory serves me right, was there initial uncertainty about whether you would commute through the winter when you first got your Brompton? If that's the case, you've managed admirably, nearly making it through the shittiest part of the year.

Thanks! You're correct - however we have had an uncharacteristically mild winter that's been noticeably devoid of ice, and while there have been been rain and cold snaps thankfully I've not suffered the two together to any meaningful degree.

Very happy to have made it through but I'm aware that for once the world has given me a relatively easy ride on this occasion :smile:

Well that was a first. A woman saw me getting on the quite busy train tonight and she got up from the fold down chairs to let me get my bike in the bike rack and that convinced the man sat next to her to do the same. Ordinarily I would wait for the train to empty (a couple of stops down the line) and have to politely ask the occupant of the last folding seat if they'd mind sitting in the empty seats opposite. Its maybe Karma for last Friday, when two of the seats were occupied but I started to tie up my bike in front of the one which wasn't, when I noticed an old woman a little unsteady on her feet and offered her the seat instead.

Thanks! You're correct - however we have had an uncharacteristically mild winter that's been noticeably devoid of ice, and while there have been been rain and cold snaps thankfully I've not suffered the two together to any meaningful degree.

Very happy to have made it through but I'm aware that for once the world has given me a relatively easy ride on this occasion :smile:

Hi, I hope you don't mind me mentioning on this thread that one symptom of depression is to "attribute successes to external factors", in other words, if you achieve something to assume the world has 'given you an easy ride on that occasion'.

Maybe it has, but the decision to go our and ride every day was still your own.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Bit of a chilly one this morning, but thankfully back to the boring straight in without any problems routine.
Cool - sounds like you've absolutely wrung the most out of all of that kit. Good effort :smile:
Under any other circumstances I'd have junked the wheels & tyres months ago but with no more commuting after tomorrow I couldn't justify starting to damage yet another set of wheels. Having checked my records they've lasted just over 6100 miles as a wheel & tyre combination so it shows a) just how bad the conditions have been to ruin a rim in such a short time and b) how well the Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres have held up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bit of a chilly one this morning, but thankfully back to the boring straight in without any problems routine.

Under any other circumstances I'd have junked the wheels & tyres months ago but with no more commuting after tomorrow I couldn't justify starting to damage yet another set of wheels. Having checked my records they've lasted just over 6100 miles as a wheel & tyre combination so it shows a) just how bad the conditions have been to ruin a rim in such a short time and b) how well the Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres have held up.

I tend to wear rear rims out in about 2 years based on current wear - had the wheels not quite 12 months and I'll maybe get another year out of them - will be a quick rim swap anyway should that happen.

Wet on the way home last night, but a pleasant ride in this morning. Very light now on my commute, so that's a plus.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There was a stunning, beautiful sunrise this morning. A fantastic hue of orange and reds. It cleared to leave blue skies but by the time I left for work it had clouded over. Still a little chilly which meant knee warmers are still being worn.

On the fast stretch of the A21 I saw ahead a woman on a sit up and beg... blimey she could ride quick. She was certainly no slouch and I think on a road bike or such like she could have easily kept up with and been quicker then me.

wafter

Hi, I hope you don't mind me mentioning on this thread that one symptom of depression is to "attribute successes to external factors", in other words, if you achieve something to assume the world has 'given you an easy ride on that occasion'.

Maybe it has, but the decision to go our and ride every day was still your own.
Thanks; this is of course true.. however the external factors are also correct. Had we had more typical winter weather I think I'd have had to have defaulted back to the car.

On top of that I've only carried on riding because it seems like the lesser of two evils since I've become so fragile in the face of the potential stress the car journey brings.

Cool - having only recently started riding through winter I can appreciate where you're coming from with the rim wear - while my rims don't seem too visibly worn, after every ride they're always covered in lashings of the grey paste that results from being abraded under braking.. not that it's enough incentive for me to change my bikes, but definitely a major plus for discs!

Sorry(?) to hear you're not commuting any more on the bike - I hope for good reasons..?

Today's grey, overcast ride began to the soundtrack of Joy Division's New Dawn Fades; appropriate considering the declining state of my head after a pretty pleasant and positive weekend.

I left the car content that I'd been mindful enough to ensure the sunroof was shut and the doors locked, however half a mile in I couldn't specifically recall turning the lights off, so it was back to the car to check... thankfully in good time today so no additional stress on top of the original anxiety through fear of being late. Predictably the lights were off when I got back..

The unpleasantness continued as I passed what looked like the remnants of a small dog on the Oxford road; identifiable only by one crooked back leg sticking up from the pile of mush it'd been reduced to by the morning traffic :sad:

Most of the journey along the tow path to town was unremarkable, however I had to stop for an inattentive kid who was walking towards me two-abreast with his mate, head down, headphones on.. ringing the bell achieved nothing and the first he was aware of my presence was when he literally walked into the front of my stationary bike 😕

Crossing the little hump-backed bridge on the way to bridge street the back end stepped out a shade thanks to the slick, wet surface - not the first time I've lost traction here and a reminder to take it easy.. as if I wasn't riddled with enough anxiety. Tyre pressure could probably do with dropping a bit too, however both are losing a bit currently so I'm reluctant to go too low.

The ride failed to improve upon reaching bridge street to find an unprecedented amount of traffic; the cause revealed shortly afterwards as some poor bloke lying in the road on the corner near the cycle-only turn off to the bottom of George street :sad: No emergency services there yet but already plenty of people in attendance doing their best to look after him, as well as a council wagon parked on the side of the road with its driver attempting to direct traffic past the situation on the opposite side of the road.

Who's to say what happened or who was at fault, but I assume he got hit turning across towards George street. While the victim clearly wasn't in great shape he was conscious so hopefully injuries weren't too serious. I wanted to help but realistically there was nothing I could do so I pressed on.

Wierdness continued in the butchers when I was asked how my brother was.. since I don't have a brother I enquired about who'd asked, and they'd apparently given a rough description of me.. which was pretty bloody weird. I told the butcher to ask for my name next time, and left feeling increasingly like I was trapped in some Jacob's Ladder-esq purgatory..

I took the tow path along the river for the first time this week since I was still good for time and thankfully arrived with no further drama. At least this morning has been fairly busy so far which is keeping me occupied and making me feel like I'm pulling my weight a bit more after a fairly slack and unfulfilling week.. Still, very much looking forward to getting home and hiding from the world; although of course that can bring its own set of demons.

Top Bottom