Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
@Maylian nice riding, it's been beautiful this week. Hoping for more!

The only thing notable about today's commute was the contrast to my last one. On Tuesday the roads were empty and the trains were packed, today the roads were busy but the trains were empty. I usually get a bike space in the morning regardless, as I get on at the first stop but so did the lady who got on down the line.
20240419_070948.jpg

I mostly don't get a space at night though but I did today 👍

20240419_173520.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This morning; left late after a crap night's sleep and plenty of necessary prep before departure. Forecast said chilly and it was; so I gave my bargain 1/4 zipped DHB merino baselayer its first proper outing and it did very nicely under my waterproof; the neck format both giving noticeably more warmth and allowing good temperature regulation via the zip. Rain was consistant but light; not particularly pleasant but manageable enough in the waterproofs and this time my feet didn't get soaked.

Spent the day out on site, walked a couple of miles back to work then back to the car on the Brompton. Went via Kennington to push the distance out and once in town had more fun ascending St Aldates; which appears to have become the little B's favoured hunting ground.

I stopped at the light amongst a bunch of other cyclists.. pulled away reasonably quickly at the usual low cadence, upright on the saddle.
Passed the bloke on the (electic?) Van Moof(?) Cowboy with ease, but was drafted by a skinny bloke on a road bike who no doubt appreciated my considerable frontal area aiding his progress. Getting near the top he pulled out to pass and slowly drew level; remarking on how quick the bike was while giving it a once-over; perhaps checking for a motor... again all good fun and a nice interaction with a fellow cyclist. I apparently hit 180bpm but for some reason, while not easy it didn't feel that hardcore..

From there it was on to the Vicky in Jericho for a quick pint; where I was privvy to a moped delivery driver's loud, protracted phone conversation across the road. From what I could gather, the one certain takeaway about the subject in hand (whatever that may have been) was that he definitely couldn't give a f*ck..

IMG_20240422_180552.jpg

IMG_20240422_181242.jpg

After the pub I checked out a load of wheels that had been abandoned next to Walton St Cycles; however suppressed the inner gannet as they looked cheap and knackered, so I left well alone.

Back along the tow path and despite the cold and tiredness it just felt great to be out in this peaceful, lush, green escape.

I stopped at the monkey bars for a bit of a spinal decompression and one set of knee raises (abs ached for days after the last lot) then it was finally back to the car.

A busy day encompassing about 20 miles on the bike; I feel good for it now if completely knackered so will try and force an early night; otherwise tomorrow will be miserable.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Bit nippier than expected this morn ing. Went without leg warmers, and that was probably a mistake, as it got down to 2C at one point.

But otherwise, quite a pleasant ride. Sunny for much of it, but the new helmet I bought to replace the one I nutted the tarmac in has a bigger peak, which mostly kept the sun out of my eyes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hovering between 6°-8° this morning but light cloud, with the sun peeking through. With that fair old cold north wind we've been having it's been making the commute into work a little harder then it should be. Fantastic wind assisted rides home though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bit of rare solar power recently. Set some good times despite the headwind this morning.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Came out after late shift so around midnight and my front tyre was flat , odd as its usually the back one if i get a puncture.took the wheel off and checked the tyre and it had a small metal sliver embedded in it , luckily i carry a pair of tweezers so after a couple of attempts i managed to get it out and change the tube .
It was cold last night so i really gave it the beans to keep warm although the hands were a bit chilly , legs aching a bit today and its forecast around 2-4 c the rest of the week for my ride home .

Shortwave

Regular
The weather is perfect in Louisiana, USA. The greenery is back and I love it.

Here are a few pics from my morning commute.

Attachments

• 15AA765A-A49A-453B-99C9-8671C1D20825.jpeg
    15AA765A-A49A-453B-99C9-8671C1D20825.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 1979481A-1197-4C6A-B73F-F01F49F2CB33.jpeg
    1979481A-1197-4C6A-B73F-F01F49F2CB33.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 8
  • A963DE7D-5FF9-4819-BDA0-65DD6A23CEFD.jpeg
    A963DE7D-5FF9-4819-BDA0-65DD6A23CEFD.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 7
  • 6924600C-8D86-4D31-95D9-3947EC2A239E.jpeg
    6924600C-8D86-4D31-95D9-3947EC2A239E.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 6

Dadam

Worst pass I've had in years this evening, by one of First Bus Leeds finest.

Was having quite a pleasant commute, well as nice as you can get at rush hour in Leeds.
Haven't decided whether to report to police, or just First Bus. Either way the driver needs some training.

Single carriageway, busy urban road, uphill. I was doing about 12 mph (e-bike). Another bus stopped on far side of the road. I looked behind and could see this bus approaching so I took primary thinking no way is there room for that to pass, and this time of day it'll be stopping at next stop anyway. Couldn't believe it when I saw in my mirror it was coming past anyway, nearly shat myself. Close enough to touch, then (of course) it starts moving back to the left! Where in the holy feck do you think I'm supposed to go?! Lucky I'm pretty confident round traffic. Then what does it do 100 yards further on? Yep you guessed it, pulls into the stop! I pulled up at driver's window to have a word. I asked what was that for when she was pulling in to this stop? She said something about me being in the middle of the road. I replied that's where I'm supposed to be (at that point), to be safe.

At least the next pass was better.

simongt

Guru
A couple of thing today.
Came up behind a manny wearing lycra on a nifty looking road bike. Casually looking at his bike, noticed that on the back brake, both pads were at least 8mm. clear of the rims. Am I missing something, or was it a case of 'all the gear, no idea' - ?
Later, on the way home, was narrowly missed by a manny on an electric scooter. Met up with him at the lights and he apologised saying 'Sorry, I didn't see you.' I looked down at my yellow hi-viz fleece with reflective bands and thought 'Yup, easy mistake.' :wacko:

Top Bottom