Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As all above, really pleasant riding.

So nice that the wife decided it was time to take the new ebike and ride to her work too, so I followed reassuring the route finding. Spinningfields in central Manchester is a less fun destination to get to. Mostly all fine on the BeeNetwork cycle lanes until trying to get onto Deansgate for the final half mile. Glad it's not my ride!

Maylian

Veteran
Surprisingly nice ride in this morning. Looked at the weather before leaving which said it was raining, so decided to do the short loop instead, but was warm enough to forego the neck buff and full gloves. The weather held out and only started spitting as I got to the office, but gave my new shoes a test run.

Hopefully it's not raining when I leave (forgot overshoes) and I can do a longer loop home to make up some distance this week.

edit: it was raining for the ride home and a spoke popped 1/5 of the way home. No taxi's around to get a lift, so a cold and wet walk home :'(

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yesterday's ride in was nice as has become the norm this week; May day took me by surprise and I was only reminded when I saw a couple of mates who'd been celebrating in the city centre, which was a bit surreal on my way to work. Lots of people about and generally a nice atmosphere..

Journey back was decent too - biblical rain forecast but it largely held off, had to run an errand to Botley on the other side of the city, then back into the centre for a quick pint at the white rabbit, before venturing back to the car.

A bit more distance this week due to a couple of extended post-work rides; as usual absolutely knackered now but will aim to get out a bit more towards the back end of the week, weather permitting.

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
Tuesday 30th
Riding to work, at about 10:15

I'd come up Station Road, to the mini-roundabout shown below
I was heading straight forward onto Lee Brigg

A Toyota Yaris (or Auris?) was on Drury Lane, where the 'pink' (faded red?) cars are parked
As I got, to all intents, level with the painted 'hump', he pulled out to also head onto Lee Brigg
A woman at the bus-stop, & I'm not sure why I noticed it, raised her hands to her face, in an approximation of 'The Scream' painting
Perhaps she heard my yelling "Oi!!!" at the driver
Who, granted did stop, wound his window down, looking horrified & apologised profusely
We shook hands, & maybe he learnt a lesson??

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.70452,-1.429761,289.8h,-4.4p,1z,eZN1RHd4D6fWMyunKvXxFw

However, my normal bone of contention on the commute, is the blind-crest on Ferry Lane
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.702631,-1.46465,245.55h,0.16p,1z,dexZUi47Adxb9k55NlH1Qg
Given the location of the scanner on the car, for these images, it doesn't look as bad as it is
Even in my Kodiaq, where I sit, perhaps (?) 18" higher than I did in the Octavia estate, I can't see the road in entirety for almost a 100yards (to the houses in the background)

Almost every day that I ride this, when there's traffic, someone lines up to over-take
Some persist, some hold back, some 'panic brake' behind me
Some have even hit the opposing car, whereas I offer to be a witness, adding (in my statement) that the offending driver (in my opinion, in my 40+ years of having a licence) "falls far below the standards of a reasonably competent & safe driver"

Last edited:

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
Last week, I had an utter & absolute Cock-Womble in (yes!!!) an Audi :wacko: 'tailgate' me through this roundabout (I was travelling from '18:00 - 12:00')
As soon, as I was over a (hypothetical) white-line, my right arm was out , for a manoeuvre into the 'Right Turn Only' entrance into the Hospital grounds
'CW' proceeded to overtake, fully, in the 'RTO', as I was starting to edge over
I'd spent as much time looking over my shoulder as looking forward, as I had a bad feeling, due to how close he was on the r/bout

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.695602,-1.484082,205.61h,-15.58p,0.68z,yXcxQ1y-BFydswCFq3t-xw

I was really hoping that he'd be turning into the grounds at the next entrance, & would pass me, so I could see if there was a staff parking permit in it
Sadly not

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not windy.

Windy ! ^_^

fossyant

Turned off the afterburners today, so commute time was back around 43 minutes rather than 39 minutes last two days. Probably take it easy on the way home this evening. Looks lovely out. Need to revise the 'kit' to a short sleeve base, mits and summer skull cap

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This morning was dry and hardly any wind. Great I thought!!
Descending down a small hill I saw an small animal in the distance so I shouted ,braked and swerved as the ruddy thing ran under my front wheel,it wad a baby fox 🥺 hope it's ok

fossyant

WFH today, but it was seriously toastie on the way home. Temperatures soon dropped though, so sitting in the garden got a bit nippy. Very overcast today, heavy skies, but dry.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Typical when I decide to extend my commute the weather turns sh1te for a day. Fortunately there was a last minute change of forecast to a dry start so at least I got in dry. It was bucketing half an hour later and it barely stopped all day so there was a lot flooding tonight, fortunately the real heavy stuff stopped before I left the office so it was just driech. I dont think I'll take the AM route again whilst the start was great I got more road rage/ punishment passes in the middle bit than I did in 4 years to my old office. The PM was a better middle bit although still had some fast and busy roads towards the end. The driver being towards the end of the PM peak were much more patient and relaxed. Ideally I want to find something taking the best out of both routes.

When I got to the station I didn't know about the ridiculous detour to get to the NB platform and carried my bike over the footbridge, it was incredibly steep and I had to tread very cautiously. As said though its a ridiculous detour to use the official entry to the NB and very car biased. One benefit of the cr@p design, I guessed the train doors for the cycle carriage would stop under the viaduct carrying the massive road overhead and it did which was a bonus on such a cr@ppy night!

cnR1hxtbeDoNlAo_WMcrMif2Vp0ExoLIIsVzY_ts-2048x1536.jpg

simongt

Guru
I must be getting very forgiving in my old age as I now see cyclists who ride the footpath, run red lights, ignore anyone / thing that gets in their way etc., etc., etc., with a 'Yeah, whatever' attitude.
Good one today though. Waiting at a red light, cyclist zoomed past me. Next red light, he took to the footpath and went round. Next red light, a Pelican crossing, he again ignored - and nearly collided with an old lady who was crossing with a shopping trolley. :wacko:
Best bit was that he glared at the old lady with a 'Why were you in my way' look. :dry:

Top Bottom