1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk this bike down.

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Canrider, 3 Mar 2008.

1. Canrider

Canrider Guru

Do it. I'm considering buying one of these:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32208

and riding it fixed. Trouble is, I can't find any non-completely-glowing reviews (Largely by people selling them, naturally! Can't imagine they'd have any stake in boosting it..). And the LBS isn't going to go for getting one in for me to try out, in case I don't plump for it.

So go on, cut it down, point out where it's crap, or ugly, or where it's going to get me killed, or make people set dogs on me.

Any thoughts?

2. gkerr4

gkerr4 New Member

it's not the best looking thing (imo) - and a bloody awful colour scheme

it also has canti-brakes which for me are just plain wrong on a roadbike unless you are using it as a cross-bike and truly need the mud clearance.
    (although i admit that they probably are pretty powerful compared t the usual dual-caliper type)

why not just for for a langster? - its cheaper and probably lighter

3. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

4. It's plain wrong, a solution for a question no-one asked. A single speed cross bike fer fecks sake. If you set it up for fixed you'll want to take the back brake off but you'll be left with canti bosses and ugly sticky-out cable stop. It's inelegant and clear evidence of manufacturers cynically trying to 'out-niche' each other. You'd be better off with a Langster, which, whether you like it or not is at least true to itself. Or the Condor, which is proper. One should consider to which segment of the market this bike is targeted. And do you really want to be associated with the kind of twats who will buy such an abortion?

Will that do?

5. Rev Will

Rev Will New Member

The headset is some sort of magical Specialized own solution, and the stock BB is not only cheap, but mine more or less exploded on removal.

Admittedly, this was all off a Langster, but the bits are the same.

Though, for the price, it is pretty good. ;)

6. OP
    OP
    Canrider

Canrider Guru

Yes mickle, that'll do. ;) Thanks guys!!

(Just watch, I bet I wind up buying one anyway..)

Oh, hey, mickle, have you seen a guy riding a Langster around York? He's got the 'Lang' on the top tube covered with a sticker that says 'W*nk'. :biggrin:

7. simonali

simonali Über Member

A shop near me has one and the forks were repulsive looking things!

8. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

It's American mass produced crap.
    It's a Cross bike.
    It looks shoot.
    It'll ride like a dog and the brakes won't work.

9. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

No it's Taiwan mass produced crap. There's better fixies out there if that's your thing.

10. I wouldn't buy it simply because they've used the phrase:
    "...these wheels are long haul capable and freeroad lovin'"
    in the advert. Don't get sucked in by the pretend chumminess of the dropped "g" and substituted apostrophe.;)

11. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

I like it.

12. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member