Talk to me about bike cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Location
Rides Ti2
I admire CyclingMikey for his shear bravado, and ignoring the various - "I'll kill you if that happens to me" nonsense from Facebook tough guys.
Mikey is tough as old boots, he can handle himself if needed or is warranted.

He was also a member of this forum back in the early days.

Over the many years i've been cycling, I've only ever been followed once by a driver whom I gave the finger to for poor passing. Except when he got out of his car, he found I wasn't to be easily intimadated or bullied so skulked back into his car.

A moton following a woman on a bike to remonstrate is absolutely beyond the pale and cowardly behavior.
 
Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
Ive never suffered undue aggression from car drivers. Even in the cut and thrust of Larndon theyre reasonably respectful onnthe road around me.

Can't think why.
 

Binky

Veteran
I have mixed feelings about CyclingMikey. I always give him a "like" on his FB posts, just to counter the notion that everybody hates him. But his awareness raising might be negated by his enraging propensities. Somehow I get FB posts from somebody in Dorset who does a similar thing. Don't know why, I'm a long way from Dorset.

His original intentions of filming drivers etc was understandable, think he lost his father to a drunk driver or something?

However, now he's just a content creator of the worst kind. He goes out of his way to film and confront anyone he thinks is in the wrong and hurls abuse at them verbally and in the comments on his videos.
By all means film your rides and if you get a close pass or see someone on their phone driving then report it.
But he then goes up to the vehicle and peers into side window(slightly creepily at times esp if a woman driver) then finger wags and berates them. This no doubt to trigger the reaction he's looking for for his YouTube channel.

He's now a hated figure among a lot of road users, both motorists and cyclists as he gives those of us who film rides a bad name.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
And then he has the cheek to complain when he ends up going for a ride on a bonnet.

Film quietly, grass them up by all means, but why go looking for an argument with someone armed with an effective kinetic weapon? At best it achieves nothing, at worst it could end very tragically.
 

scotsbikester

Über Member
His original intentions of filming drivers etc was understandable, think he lost his father to a drunk driver or something?

However, now he's just a content creator of the worst kind. He goes out of his way to film and confront anyone he thinks is in the wrong and hurls abuse at them verbally and in the comments on his videos.
By all means film your rides and if you get a close pass or see someone on their phone driving then report it.
But he then goes up to the vehicle and peers into side window(slightly creepily at times esp if a woman driver) then finger wags and berates them. This no doubt to trigger the reaction he's looking for for his YouTube channel.

He's now a hated figure among a lot of road users, both motorists and cyclists as he gives those of us who film rides a bad name.

You might be right, on the finger-wagging and confrontation thing. But to be honest, considering the amount of V signs and similar that many drivers use when somebody has done something "terrible" (like delaying their progress for a few seconds), I don't think what Mikey does is very high on the abuse scale. And many drivers do a lot worse than wagging fingers. Cutting in too close to "teach you a lesson", driving way too close behind, to bully you out of the way, and similar. There's nothing dangerous about wagging a finger, whereas drivers often do very dangerous things with 2 tons of metal, in order to communicate their displeasure.

The police take action on his videos. Quite a lot, it seems. So that's good. And so doing might encourage other cyclists to report
similar things, but without the confrontation or sticking it on FB etc.

Personally, I don't publicise my activities like that, at all.

I do like the one at Gandalf Corner where somebody drives into his bike (very slowly). When the police arrive it's a very definite - "you, back there".

I'm not going to condemn Mikey. I'm both a cyclist and a motorist, and I certainly don't hate him.
 

Binky

Veteran
I'm not going to condemn Mikey. I'm both a cyclist and a motorist, and I certainly don't hate him.
I'm both a cyclist and a motorist and I also film my rides and send in reports of dangerous driving etc.
However, I do condemn him as I think he's an idiot whose actions only wind up others about cyclists.
As for the police taking action, it seems last couple of years he's had a lot of NFAs to videos he's sent in. I get impression the police are getting as fed up with him as others are. Mikey often has a statement at end of his videos saying something along the lines of "haven't heard anything so I assume action was taken...". No, if action taken you'll be informed of it.

There's several videos he's posted of cyclists overtaking him in what he sees as too close/unsafe/whatever and he's shouted "peanut" at them. One day he'll get a shoeing.

Like I said before, good intentions but done in a counter productive way. See Jeremy Vine for similar.

Edit: it seems nanny been over and changed orginal word to "peanut". I can assure viewers that isn't the word he yells.
 
Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
I'm both a cyclist and a motorist and I also film my rides and send in reports of dangerous driving etc.
However, I do condemn him as I think he's an idiot whose actions only wind up others about cyclists.
As for the police taking action, it seems last couple of years he's had a lot of NFAs to videos he's sent in. I get impression the police are getting as fed up with him as others are. Mikey often has a statement at end of his videos saying something along the lines of "haven't heard anything so I assume action was taken...". No, if action taken you'll be informed of it.

There's several videos he's posted of cyclists overtaking him in what he sees as too close/unsafe/whatever and he's shouted "peanut" at them. One day he'll get a shoeing.

Like I said before, good intentions but done in a counter productive way. See Jeremy Vine for similar.

The other problem is that his behaviour is undermining his own credibility as a witness.

In an ideal world the video evidence should speak for itself, but it doesn't work like that.
 

scotsbikester

Über Member
I'm both a cyclist and a motorist and I also film my rides and send in reports of dangerous driving etc.
However, I do condemn him as I think he's an idiot whose actions only wind up others about cyclists.
As for the police taking action, it seems last couple of years he's had a lot of NFAs to videos he's sent in. I get impression the police are getting as fed up with him as others are. Mikey often has a statement at end of his videos saying something along the lines of "haven't heard anything so I assume action was taken...". No, if action taken you'll be informed of it.

There's several videos he's posted of cyclists overtaking him in what he sees as too close/unsafe/whatever and he's shouted "peanut" at them. One day he'll get a shoeing.

Like I said before, good intentions but done in a counter productive way. See Jeremy Vine for similar.

Edit: it seems nanny been over and changed orginal word to "peanut". I can assure viewers that isn't the word he yells.

Pluralistic ignorance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluralistic_ignorance

Just because lots of people comment aggressively on Mikey's YouTube videos doesn't mean they are anything like the majority. Seems to me there are some drivers who get "wound up", as you put it, about absolutely anything which they think restricts their "right" to drive however they like. Too fast, while drunk, not paying attention, too tired, on the pavement, in the cycle lane, behind a learner, etc. etc.

And given the number of times those comments include things like "why don't you say anything about cyclists going through red lights" etc. etc., Mikey including video of him doing exactly that is quite reasonable. Some cyclists are idiots, it's fine if Mikey calls them out too.
 

PaulSB

Squire
The reason I ride with a camera is I got fed up with so many close passes. I record rides and send any close/dangerous passes etc in to Operation Snap.
My reasoning is if enough cyclists do this then maybe eventually motorists will get the message that endangering vunerable road users has consequences. Plus I have to say getting a bit of justice for having my life endangered feels good!

Regarding a driver finding where you live, use the privacy settings on Strava to hide start/end of rides although I suppose they could eventually work it out.
Also if you end up having to go to court as a prosecution witness then during the hearing the defendant is told your name.
If the police just issue warning letter, points, fine etc then the motorists isn't told who reported the incident.

On this point my wife is concerned that an irate driver could call around the house. I think this unlikely but you never know.
Yes, I've had this enabled for years for bike security not personal safety. I'm not particularly worried about my own safety but do feel Strava in particular is a source of information that could be very useful to a criminal.

It would be very simple to follow a rider home. A simple scan through a rider's activities will reveal the rider's behaviour pattern and when the property might well be empty for 5 - 6 hours. Bingo!
 
I have mixed feelings about CyclingMikey. I always give him a "like" on his FB posts, just to counter the notion that everybody hates him. But his awareness raising might be negated by his enraging propensities. Somehow I get FB posts from somebody in Dorset who does a similar thing. Don't know why, I'm a long way from Dorset.

I get tons from Dorset Road Safe (or whatever the councillor is called) too for some reason!
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom