talk to me about Gazelle's or dutch bikes in general.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thursday guy

Even once you've locked up etc?

It wouldn't take that long to lock up surely. Probably an extra minute or two unless the bike storage place is located ridiculously far away from OP's office.

Over a mile, cycling is still quicker than walking by a lot.

OP
OP
Jamieyorky

Jamieyorky

Veteran
Ok, so I went to view the bike it was in the garage in the corner covered in dust, tyres half flat.

The wife explained that her husband had ridden the bike a few times but has bought a road bike as it's quicker to get into the center of York.

Ridden the bike..... Rides as new.

So the bike is mine, just brought it home pumped the tyres up and gave it a wash, people at work will think it's a brand new bike!

£180 I'd say it's a bargain! ^_^

Jen88

Hi,

This is my first post on here but well!

I just brought an Azor tandem. Not a Gazelle, but I'm pretty sure the style is similar.

This is my first and only Bike. I am blind so have to ride on the back.

Tested a lot of tandems, but found the Dutch Bikes a lot more comfortable.

I would say get it for a short commute. I have a Friend with a Gazelle. She loves it, but thinks it would make her too slow commuting 13 miles each way.

Very solid bikes though I believe.

I nearly brought a Gazelle Tandem, but the Azor folds and I was able to test-ride it. Also one of my front riders fell in love with it as well.

If you did get the bike would love to know how you are getting on with it.

Cheers,
Jen!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have a Friend with a Gazelle. She loves it, but thinks it would make her too slow commuting 13 miles each way.
It probably depends on the route. With handlebars that allow the "Dutch aero bars" trick, suitable gearing and a fairly straightforward route (not a load of tricky slowing and accelerating), it could fairly tick along (literally) and the greater efficiency of a hub gear outweigh the drawback of bigger steps between gears.

Yeah. I used to hold back on group rides, because I feared that if someone on a lightweight in front crashes, the Dutchie may just blatt through their bike without slowing much! Now I've upgraded the brakes, it's not quite so bad.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
Having been in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago I couldn't help noticing a common feature of dutch bikes is that they somehow give their riders the ability to cycle everywhere while staring at a smartphone.

Perhaps not for much longer...

U

User169

Hi,

This is my first post on here but well!

I just brought an Azor tandem. Not a Gazelle, but I'm pretty sure the style is similar.

This is my first and only Bike. I am blind so have to ride on the back.

Tested a lot of tandems, but found the Dutch Bikes a lot more comfortable.

I would say get it for a short commute. I have a Friend with a Gazelle. She loves it, but thinks it would make her too slow commuting 13 miles each way.

I nearly brought a Gazelle Tandem, but the Azor folds and I was able to test-ride it. Also one of my front riders fell in love with it as well.

If you did get the bike would love to know how you are getting on with it.

Cheers,
Jen!

Azor are super nice. Probably considered a bit more up-market than Gazelle.

Given the rear hub, this Gazelle sounds like a modern design, not the old omafiets/granny bike with a heavy steel frame and 1-3gears. Most riders outside of central Amsterdam ride the modern version, often aluminium frame, Nexus 7/8 sd hub, dynamo hub lighting and full mud/chainguard, with Marathon+ tyres. Excellent pub/ station bike ideal for short or flat commutes and capable of longer rides as well I have set my Alfine bike up in a similar grab and go fashion.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom