talk to me about Gazelle's or dutch bikes in general.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
So... My current commuter is a road bike with guards and rack but now I'm commuting in a suit to work I'm thinking of more of a city bike, there is a Gazelle for sale around the corner from me for £180 it's a year old and looks brand new! They are selling it as they are moving and won't need the bike anymore, Ive seen the recipet for it and it was £549.00 new.

The bike has a 7 speed hub gear, roller brakes dynamo lighting etc etc.....

I'm tempted to buy it as my everyday runaround plus I could also put my daughters child seat on the rear but never owned a bike like this before.

Does anyone own a Dutch bike on hear?

Thanks... Jamie

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Gazelles are excellent bikes, the dearer ones are among the best made and finished bikes I've seen.

It's fairly standard mechanically, but you have Cycle Heaven in York who should be able to fettle the less common bits such as the roller brakes.

Having said that, they are known to last forever.

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not just walk if it's a mile? Good to use legs weight bearing too

Jayaly

I have a Gazelle Orange C7+ and I like it a lot. Very stable and a cushy, comfortable ride that makes anything else I've ridden feel a bit basic (to be fair, they were). Obviously it isn't a speed machine; you will get overtaken by a great many people but it bowls along happily enough on the flat to get you somewhere in good time and good order, plus you don't have to mess about having to change in and out of trousers that would get eaten by a chain.

You do notice the weight going uphill, but how much of a problem it is really depends on how steep and how long the hill is (I suppose that's stating the blinkin' obvious). I test rode a sportier Gazelle in Oxford which blatted up some short hills like they weren't there. On the one I actually bought I notice inclines straight away, but I don't actually mind that much because exercise was part of the point of cycle commuting in the first place. It goes up short, inclines like ramps without a problem, but you want to be moving at a fair clip first. On longer rides with child seat and occupant on the back I can do up to about 4% without difficulty, just slowly. Long, shallow climbs take it out of me the most, but then Smallest Boy and his seat do add another 20 kg.

Probably my only issue with it, if you can call it one, is that it is transport in itself rather than transportable. I would really like to take it further afield sometimes to ride some other places, but it's a step through and I would worry about that much weight on a false bar for a car carrier. Lifting it up onto a roof carrier would be a challenge and then some. I would need a walk-on carrier to do it, so any journeys begin at home. That has made me hanker for an n+1, something light that I can throw onto a carrier and go.

Finally, while typing this I got a phone call from the local cycle hub who were investigating a bit of chain slip which had just started. Some minor adjustments of the hub gear are costing me the princely sum of a tenner.

Based on my experience of the last six months I'd buy one again, but I'd still want a lighter bike as well for other days and longer journeys.

Thursday guy

Well they're usually on the heavier side of things. Personally I think they're cumbersome and overpriced. But if you can snag one for only £180 and you're cycling on flat roads and not going very far, sure why not?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
So... My current commuter is a road bike with guards and rack but now I'm commuting in a suit to work I'm thinking of more of a city bike, there is a Gazelle for sale around the corner from me for £180 it's a year old and looks brand new! They are selling it as they are moving and won't need the bike anymore, Ive seen the recipet for it and it was £549.00 new.

The bike has a 7 speed hub gear, roller brakes dynamo lighting etc etc.....

I'm tempted to buy it as my everyday runaround plus I could also put my daughters child seat on the rear but never owned a bike like this before.

Does anyone own a Dutch bike on hear?

Thanks... Jamie
If you don't buy it, post a link to it on here, people will snap their hand off.

It will climb hills, at its own pace and can be a tad hardgoing if it's a long drag into a headwind, as much the super comfy sit up and beg position as much as anything. I use Mrs's Dutch bike 7 speed derailleur in and around Oldham and outer environs without any great hardship.

Other than that, my hub everything Utility bike is my most reliable, comfortable and is simply sit on and go whatever I'm wearing, wherever I'm going, whatever the weather, it's just ready and copes easily with it.

OP
OP
Jamieyorky

Jamieyorky

Veteran
I have a Gazelle Orange C7+ and I like it a lot. Very stable and a cushy, comfortable ride that makes anything else I've ridden feel a bit basic (to be fair, they were). Obviously it isn't a speed machine; you will get overtaken by a great many people but it bowls along happily enough on the flat to get you somewhere in good time and good order, plus you don't have to mess about having to change in and out of trousers that would get eaten by a chain.

You do notice the weight going uphill, but how much of a problem it is really depends on how steep and how long the hill is (I suppose that's stating the blinkin' obvious). I test rode a sportier Gazelle in Oxford which blatted up some short hills like they weren't there. On the one I actually bought I notice inclines straight away, but I don't actually mind that much because exercise was part of the point of cycle commuting in the first place. It goes up short, inclines like ramps without a problem, but you want to be moving at a fair clip first. On longer rides with child seat and occupant on the back I can do up to about 4% without difficulty, just slowly. Long, shallow climbs take it out of me the most, but then Smallest Boy and his seat do add another 20 kg.

Probably my only issue with it, if you can call it one, is that it is transport in itself rather than transportable. I would really like to take it further afield sometimes to ride some other places, but it's a step through and I would worry about that much weight on a false bar for a car carrier. Lifting it up onto a roof carrier would be a challenge and then some. I would need a walk-on carrier to do it, so any journeys begin at home. That has made me hanker for an n+1, something light that I can throw onto a carrier and go.

Finally, while typing this I got a phone call from the local cycle hub who were investigating a bit of chain slip which had just started. Some minor adjustments of the hub gear are costing me the princely sum of a tenner.

Based on my experience of the last six months I'd buy one again, but I'd still want a lighter bike as well for other days and longer journeys.

Thanks for that, the bike will be a commuter and utility bike, I've a nice carbon road bike for the

weekends.:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom