Tamworth audax rides (shameless plug)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

If Audax organisers gave out .gpx files for every event, there would be no fun translating the routesheet onto a map and creating a .gdb file.

AlanW

Guru
jimboalee said:
If Audax organisers gave out .gpx files for every event, there would be no fun translating the routesheet onto a map and creating a .gdb file.

I agree, so if you do it, then mail it to me. :tongue:

jimboalee

.gpx files sent to you.... ;)

Next you'll be asking if someone will ride your bike for you...:ohmy:

AlanW

Guru
What a cracking day was had by all. :biggrin:

Well done Clive. :laugh:

Although my start to the ride didn't quite go according to plan, I punctured after 14 minutes from the start. :biggrin: Then the bloody zip broke on the seat pack, so I had to hold the contents in place with a elastic band. :smile:

Then I spent the next two hours trying to catch the front group up.

Still I got round in 6hrs 10 minutes, so late to bad I guess, would have like to have beaten the 6 hours though?

rh100

fungus said:
New organiser this year as marmite Geoff Cleaver has handed over to Clive datameister Handy. Rides from 50k to 200k all with nice quiet laney routes & weather guaranteed
thumbsup.gif
The December tinsel & lanes 200k will be available to enter later in the year.

209 24 Apr 10 Tamworth Two Battles
08:00 Sat [2300m] BR £5.00 Clive Handy
Apr 24 - Tamworth 209
157 24 Apr 10 Tamworth Towering Trees
09:00 Sat [1630m] BP £5.00 Clive Handy
Apr 24 - Tamworth 157

208 21 Aug 10 Tamworth Wem, we get there
08:30 Sat [1400m] BR £4.50 Clive Handy
Aug 21 - Tamworth 208
117 21 Aug 10 Tamworth Charnwood Challange
09:00 Sat [1094m] BP £4.00 Clive Handy
Aug 21 - Tamworth 117
51 21 Aug 10 Tamworth National Forest 50
09:30 Sat [400m] BP £3.50 Clive Handy
Aug 21 - Tamworth 51

Easy to get to the start from M42 junction 10.

Thinking about doing the 50k route in August.

Any suggestions if this is suitable for me as a first timer? I'm not terribly fast (my 10 mile training rides average about 10mph moving time), I can comfortably do about 20 miles. So I'm thinking that 50k shouldn't be too much of a push, just thinking about time constraints. I would either be on a hybrid or, if my Galaxy rebuild proves reliable, then that one.

Doable - or just give it a miss till next year when I'm lighter/quicker? :ohmy:

Also, do most people drive there and leave the car or ride there and back aswell?

ps. any rough idea of the route?

jimboalee

rh100 said:
Thinking about doing the 50k route in August.

Any suggestions if this is suitable for me as a first timer? I'm not terribly fast (my 10 mile training rides average about 10mph moving time), I can comfortably do about 20 miles. So I'm thinking that 50k shouldn't be too much of a push, just thinking about time constraints. I would either be on a hybrid or, if my Galaxy rebuild proves reliable, then that one.

Doable - or just give it a miss till next year when I'm lighter/quicker? :smile:

Also, do most people drive there and leave the car or ride there and back aswell?

ps. any rough idea of the route?

The start and finish is in the large car park opposite The Pretty Pigs pub on Shuttington Rd.

There was a hill on the 100km route last year. Not steep. Beacon Hill they call it. 3% for 5km.
It's half way through after an ice cream at the Children's Farm Control.

If riding hard with a bellyful of ice cream makes you vomit, give it a miss.:ohmy:

rh100

jimboalee said:
The start and finish is in the large car park opposite The Pretty Pigs pub on Shuttington Rd.

There was a hill on the 100km route last year. Not steep. Beacon Hill they call it. 3% for 5km.
It's half way through after an ice cream at the Children's Farm Control.

If riding hard with a bellyful of ice cream makes you vomit, give it a miss.:biggrin:

Thanks Jimbo, I was considering the 50k though, although I guess the routes would converge for much of them. The hill sounds tough, but I'd deal with it the way I always do, just stop for a breather (or several) :biggrin: The ice cream sounds nice, maybe you shouldn't have had a belly full though xx(

jimboalee

rh100 said:
Thanks Jimbo, I was considering the 50k though, although I guess the routes would converge for much of them. The hill sounds tough, but I'd deal with it the way I always do, just stop for a breather (or several) :biggrin: The ice cream sounds nice, maybe you shouldn't have had a belly full though :biggrin:

I didn't say I threw up. I like ice cream. I have been brought up on sprinting to Henley in Arden, eating a huge ice cream and then climbing Liverage Hill back to Hockley Heath.

Audax events with more than one distance may have completely different routes. eg Solihull's rides on Sunday. The 100 went to Kineton in Warwicks and the 200 went up and over Cannock Chase.

Top Bottom