Tan wall tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Which seem to be having a bit of a revival with quite a few manufacturers introducing them into their ranges. Just bought some Schwalbe G Ones for my gravel bike with this feature. There is supposed to be a bit of an advantage due to a small degree of flex in the walls but the appeal is mainly cosmetic giving some relief especially to all black bikes.

IMG_20231112_140315.jpg
So what do think? Pointless retro revival or a welcome addition to enhance your bike?

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Beautiful

They look good on some bikes like the one in the OP but, personally, I wouldn’t go for mixed colour tyres mysel.

During L2P a number of years ago my son and I had the same ty on our bikes except mine were all black and his were black and red. He punctured three times whilst on day one alone and no on else on the ride did. At the overnight stop he swapped them out for a spare pair of all black ones I had with me. Despite day two having rain and flash flooding of biblical proportions neither of us had issues but the ride leader and one other punctured through that day.

He tried the red and black ones again the following summer but never found them as reliable as all black were.

Sallar55

Veteran
Tan wall might be lighter, have the Vittoria Mezcals in black and tan. Tan ones are XC race and they are not as robust, punctured on glass 1st time out. Black ones 9000 km on front,rear has been changed and no punctures so far.

DogmaStu

I’ve done, collectively, over 35000km on tan tyres with..zero punctures. Not one.

The Wilier has GP5000’s, black, lots of punctures.

Same tyres on my Pinarello, zero punctures this whole year.

I don’t believe tan vs black have anything to do with punctures.

To me Tan tyre walls look good

Problem is that my front and back tyres wear out at different rates - hence they don't get replaced as a set

so the 2 tyres are nearly always of different makes/models

and one tan tyre would look - at least odd

@DogmaStu, I have just got an E5 and can’t wait to take it for a spin/ride to work once it’s all set up. It’s the matt yellow version and came with nice little touches such as the frame protectors and Specialized branded screws etc.

DogmaStu

@DogmaStu, I have just got an E5 and can’t wait to take it for a spin/ride to work once it’s all set up. It’s the matt yellow version and came with nice little touches such as the frame protectors and Specialized branded screws etc.

They are great bikes, you won't be disappointed. It's nice to be able to go on any terrain you want.

Top Bottom