Tandem idea exploration and 26” wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
From the way the frame is made it looks a quality machine, but I don't know the make. A drag brake is a boon and that and the saddles makes me think it is indeed a quality machine.
I'd say go for it, they are great fun and allow easy talking between you and stoker. When I bought my tandem 12 years ago I thought it wouldn't get much use, but we use it regularly, so much so that I cannot remember when my wife last used her solo bike.
The first time you ride it though you'll feel like it's hinged in the middle, but after a couple of hours you get used to the feeling (you may have to tell your stoker to stop squirming around so much, I did!)

Sallar55

Veteran
Here is our touring tandem, SJS were selling off Cannondale tandem frames. Bought the MTB version, built it up for the hills and all the surfaces that you could cycle. 26 wheels and Swalble XR tyres 1.95 i think. One tour was 4500km (contract was delayed and we stayed in France for another 6weeks). Due to the extra distance we needed 2 new chainrings small and middle and a cassette and chains. We were lucky as the Bike shop in Roanne had the correct TA chainrings. 26 wheels are bombproof with 40 hole rims ,the rear hub is another story. Over the years a hugi,hope and Phil wood freehub have let us down with breakages on a warranty Phil wood rear hub now.
Brakes are HS 66 and a Magura Gustav for extra stopping power.
photos - 1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
So finally took the plunge and collected the little lady this evening. A short 25km ride home and a few interesting words shared as we set off on each occasion (i can setting off is going to take some perfecting) and then a few words from Mrs R about how uncomfortable the Brooks saddle was😳 but after a bit of adjustment things improved although i may need to swap it out to her regular saddle, at least while we master the tandem riding art…

IMG_7242.jpeg

Now the fun starts 😉

Top Bottom