Tandems with a bigger back end.

stephec

Legendary Member
As the title says, can I get a tandem with a smaller pilot size than the stoker size?

I want to be able to take my lad out on one but he's a few inches taller than me, so could do with one that's either equal sized or larger at the back.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I was looking for something similar and never found it.

Ian H

I am an ancient randonneur, & I stop often for tea
I know of a couple of bespoke ones, but no production models. Mercian might be helpful. I'm still wary of Mr Bird.

rvw

Veteran
It may also matter whether the lad's additional height is in his legs or his torso - but either way it could be awkward. If he's longer legged, just raising the seat would result in him cycling nose-down (not very comfortable); if he has a long body, he'll just end up with his chin on your back.

You could get different handlebars so that he can be more upright - we put some multi-position ones on for me (stoker) when I had back problems, angled upwards. It might not be his favoured riding position, but maybe better than headbutting you?

Ian H

I am an ancient randonneur, & I stop often for tea
Nope, just some friends & acquaintances. But that wasn't the first time stuff happened. He only ended up in Wales after a previous failure.

Mike Ayling

As the title says, can I get a tandem with a smaller pilot size than the stoker size?

I want to be able to take my lad out on one but he's a few inches taller than me, so could do with one that's either equal sized or larger at the back.
Thorn used to offer several frame sizes to fit captains/stokers of various sizes but Thorns are not cheap'

Mike

Top Bottom