Tandems with a bigger back end.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
As the title says, can I get a tandem with a smaller pilot size than the stoker size?

I want to be able to take my lad out on one but he's a few inches taller than me, so could do with one that's either equal sized or larger at the back.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I was looking for something similar and never found it.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I know of a couple of bespoke ones, but no production models. Mercian might be helpful. I'm still wary of Mr Bird.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm still wary of Mr Bird.

Why, out of interest?

OP, could be wrong, but I think the best you'll get is a horizontal top tube one. I guess you'll need a pretty exact frame size so as to be not too small for him and not too big for you... so the very best of luck with your search!

Bens-Gilmour-Tandem-1.jpg

rvw

Guru
It may also matter whether the lad's additional height is in his legs or his torso - but either way it could be awkward. If he's longer legged, just raising the seat would result in him cycling nose-down (not very comfortable); if he has a long body, he'll just end up with his chin on your back.

You could get different handlebars so that he can be more upright - we put some multi-position ones on for me (stoker) when I had back problems, angled upwards. It might not be his favoured riding position, but maybe better than headbutting you?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Nope, just some friends & acquaintances. But that wasn't the first time stuff happened. He only ended up in Wales after a previous failure.

As the title says, can I get a tandem with a smaller pilot size than the stoker size?

I want to be able to take my lad out on one but he's a few inches taller than me, so could do with one that's either equal sized or larger at the back.
Thorn used to offer several frame sizes to fit captains/stokers of various sizes but Thorns are not cheap'

Mike

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Thorn have a couple of sizes that would fit. But you are talking £3500 starting price ... They also offer a 100 day ride it and if for any reason you don't like it they will refund your money deal.

I know for a fact that they do a S/M option, for a "lady" captain and a "male" stoker ... Usually partially sighted.

I bought a Size 7 from them last year and have no regrets ... We'll just one, I should have done so years ago!

Top Bottom