Tannus Tyres...the whole hog!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill

I posted a subject on here some time ago about these new tyres. Last week I had a train ride with my Brompton over to Sutton Coldfield to a local Tannus stockist to have my existing Marathon Plus tyre on the front wheel replaced with another bright red Tannus tyre! (I have this colour to match my red frame ends) The 'ride' is normal to me and the speed situation seems the same. Its nice not to have to re-pump the front tyre every time I use the Brompton, and of course the worry concerning punctures has gone. Actually the 'ride' situation was a pretty pointless thing to worry about as the tyre pressure was 80+pounds which means that the Marathon Plus tyre was harder than the Tannus tyre....in fact I found it VERY hard to depress the Marathon Plus with my thumbs but the Tannus had 'give' on being pressed in the same manner! So there you are , no worries 'out there' in wildest Worcestershire with un-wanted flat tyres in the middle of no-where and no palaver......

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
They do seem to polarise people. I rode on Tannus tyres for all of five minutes, and that was a good five minutes too long for me!

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Smokey, You should not read too much reviews as most people who write them have pre-conceived views on the said subject before they start to write them! These tyres are tyres ....but solid ones. 'Normal' tyres have air in them..... Looking at them on a cycle there is no difference to 'air' or 'air less' until you meet that rotten flint or nail and then you have got hassle.... (and if its raining) a wet neck! The word ....'might'....means you need to take a chance. Its up to you but I just sit on the Brompton and pedal along knowing there is no chance of a nice sunny day being spoiled by a ROTTEN flat tyre....

@Bill - The firmness doesn't bother me as I run my Gatorkins maxed out at 120psi so the Tannus would possibly be a tad more forgiving anwyay.

@Drago - Also the spoke thing doesn't bother me too much as my wheels aren't lightweight racy jobbies, they're pretty bombproof Halos, (famous last words).

The latest thing I read was with them flattening out over time. I don't know if this is an isolated issue or a real problem with them, but with my fat @rse it's definitely something that's on my mind.

Well I called into a dealer today for a chat about Tannus tyres, and his immediate advice was................don't bother.

Now I should add that this advice was based on fitting them to my CAAD10, which he said would ruin the ride.

For a commuting bike, a hub geared bike, a Brompton perhaps then they probably are a no brainer, but for an out an out road bike, (even though I have never, and will never be of racing weight), and one that only comes out at weeekends and in fair weather for that matter, then there's no substitute for quality tyres maintained at the correct pressures IMO.

Talking of pressure, he had a small section of tyre on a counter display, and I had a good feel of it, now Tannus quote the 700 x 25 as equivalent to 100psi, but it felt even harder than my 120psi tyres, when I tried pressed my thumb into it I couldn't depress it at all, even the dealer said he doubted the assumed equivalent pressure was doubtful.

So decision made, and it's a no from me I'm afraid.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's not the firmness of the tyre, it's the way it rolls over bumps and irregularities. A pneumatic tyre loses less speed on rough roads because pressure acts in all directions, absorbing the irregularity, and the air acts as a spring with very little hysteresis loss. A solid tyre is a lot less efficient as it can't do these things. Try pushing a pram/stroller with and without pneumatic tyres and the difference is far more obvious because of the lower power input.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Hmm, the Armour version doesn't come as small as Brompton tyres. Smallest is 20".

I saw that too. In a similar vein I saw a post that linked to a German company who make inner tubes shaped a bit like a sausage, the idea is that you don't have to remove the wheel ( which is a bit of a faff if it's the rear wheel on a Brompton.
They looked well thought out but they don't do a Brompton suitable one.

silva

Über Member
I wonder how "foam" rimes with "armour".
The protection is probably just based on the increased distance that an object must bridge in order to puncture the inner air balloon.
I rather see a trap for objects, unnoticed till leak, and at inspection time hard to find and also to get out without further damaging the tires wall. What's the difference between a flat now and a flat 10 minutes later?

More generally, couldn't they produce tires with just thicker rubber / denser reinforcement?
What's the drawback of a heavier tire?
https://road.cc/content/feature/194...-dead-frames-skinny-tyres-rotating-weight-and
http://www.biketechreview.com/reviews/wheels/63-wheel-performance
"Roughly, the average rider power requirements on a course with a zero net elevation gain is broken down into 60% rider drag, 8% wheel drag, 8% frame drag, 12% rolling resistance .5% wheel inertia forces and 8% bike/rider inertia. The uphill TT example given is a special case where the rider aerodynamics and the bike/rider weight have nearly equal contributions to power – somewhere around 35% each with wheel mass contributing around 1%. The steeper the hill, the more important mass becomes and the less important aerodynamics becomes. In all cases, however, there is approximately 3% of the average power unaccounted for."

Look at the wheel inertia forces on the power requirements, it's neglectable relative to the others.
So, one could simply produce a tire with a thicker profile of the hard rubber part, no anti leak and foams specialties needed.
For those that consider a flat (and its entire story of time and cost) as more trouble than a minute later every day.

silva

Über Member
That’ll be a Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
That tire has an anti leak under the rubber, same purpose as that "foam" here.
I rather prefer just thicker rubber. The tire would have a longer life then too, no reason to replace when seeing the antileak coming through. The anti leak compound is clearly inferior to the rubber, just keep on riding after the rubber wore off till there, it won't be a long ride. 3 mm more rubber would just double the life.

Top Bottom