Tapatalk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm not very technically minded but have discovered a thing called "tapatalk" which makes for much simpler viewing and posting from an iPhone or similar of Forums such as Cyclechat. The app cost me £1.79 from iTunes though they have a Read Only version and I guess you could find it free elsewhere.

From what I gather the site / forum has to register with Tapatalk before it can be viewed through the app. I hoped Cyclechat might be there but it isn't. Will Admin be doing this in the future? It's very good for users.

Have to say the Tapatalk is one of the very few worthwhile apps I've found.

Shaun

Founder
It's something I'm going to look into once we've moved to the new forum software.

Cheers,
Shaun :sun:

Shaun

Founder
martint235 said:
+1 for tapatalk if it's possible with the new system. I use it for other forums and it's really helpful.

Ta

We've tested it on the new software and a couple of people have reported that it works well. Hopefully it'll be available on the final production version.

There is, however, an iPhone specific plugin which has been designed by the forum software engineers themselves - although so far I haven't had any confirmation about whether the two will co-reside without conflict so we might just have to suck it and see ... ;)

Cheers,
Shaun :blush:

martint235

Dog on a bike
It might. I haven't looked at it.

Yep I have tapatalk installed on Android. Just go to the market and download. You may get some errors (for example with Cyclechat until the new system rolls out) where an http fault shows up. I understand this is where the server side hasn't been set up yet.

Admin, cheers. Look forward to using it with cyclechat in the not too distant future :sad:

rh100

Admin said:
I thought Tapatalk worked with Android?

It worked with the new forum on mine. (HTC TAttoo on Android)

The download is a read only in demo mode though - they want you to pay for a full version :becool: so didn't test any further.

The mobile skin works quite well.

Shaun

Founder
TBH I'm a bit cautious about going full tilt with Tapatalk because it will mean members will have to pay for the application.

The forum software developers provide a completely free officially supported iPhone application so it may be better to use that instead and let other phone platforms use the mobile skin.

I'll maybe give the alternative plugin a test and see what the beta testers think, and then decide from there.

Cheers,
Shaun :becool:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hi Shaun,

What's the mobile skin? Tapatalk for android isn't hugely expensive (£2) and it can be used with other forums, I take your point though.

I suppose it also depends how much work and support you'd have to provide for it.

M

Shaun

Founder
The mobile skin is a cut-down simplified version of the main forum skin without all the fancy formatting and extra features/links/buttons.

The forum software auto-detects a number of mobile platforms too, and loads the mobile skin automatically; although I haven't had any success with my N96.

You'll be able to give it a try when I demo the new site in a few weeks ... :wacko:

I can see that some people might prefer Tapatalk if it is something they already have and use, and it may be that I can run it in parallel with the free iPhone plugin from the forum makers - I'll have to test it and see.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Jezston

Über Member
Doesn't seem to be a different 'skin' when I browse this forum on my Android-based desire - on both the stock browser and 3rd party Dolphin browser it looks the same as it does on a computer. But smaller, obv.

Be good to have some kind of dedicated interface - zooming in generally fits the post width to screen width, so I have to keep scrolling left to see who the poster is - same with other forums on my phone.

Downloading the tapatalk demo now and I'll see how that works ...

"This forum appears to have deactivated Tapatalk".

Oh.

Shaun

Founder
Jezston - that's because we're talking about the new forum software, not the current forums ... ;)

The good news is though that the new forums should be open for preview in a few days time; you'll then be able to point your Android phone at the test URL and hopefully see a difference. :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Top Bottom