Tapping from rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
After a couple of miles I'm getting an intermittent tapping the sound of which reminds me of a thrush bashing snails on a rock. It then becomes more regular, about once per wheel revolution, then more frequent (though less regular.) Swopping rear wheels confirms that it's coming from the wheel. Pedalling or freewheeling makes no difference but the tapping only happens when I'm on the bike, it's silent with the wheel off the ground.

The wheel is handbuilt amrosio excellight rims on an ambrosio hub with cartridge bearings. There is no play or roughness detectable when turning the axle with the wheel on the bench. The wheel is true and none of the spokes seem looser than the others.

Any ideas what's causing this?

Tynan

Veteran
my not too expert guess is the hub bearings if all the spokes are sound

not too long ago I had a branded BB fitted by my decent LBS and it lasted two weeks, an old fashioned lemon

how old is the wheel and hub?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
+1 for the bearings if they are the cup and cone type.

I hated that sound. It meant I had to service the hub - never got the hang of it.

Thank goodness for sealed cartridge hubs

gbb

Legendary Member
Spoke protector /pie plate fitted ?

I once had an odd, intermittent noise from my wife's bike as she was riding it, no other time. Turned out (I imagine) as the wheel rotated, spoke tension increases / decreases and was rubbing against the plate, enough to cause a 'squeak' or similar noise.

OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
I ordered up a set of bearings and replaced them all. The wheel bearings were actually OK, but the freewheel bearings were rough and one was barely turning. However, that didn't cure the problem. I've now tightened all the spokes a half turn and that seems to have cured it.

Top Bottom