Target pavement cyclists, say MPs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Oh, I have to mention. On that journey, I scraped my handlebar end up the side of another vehicle.

A Recovery low-loader. The driver never noticed so PLEASE keep this quiet.:laugh:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I can think of some examples where we could let them off. I wouldn't fancy cycling on a motorway for example, however much cycling provision is installed.:smile:

I live in a civilised place that doesn't have a motorway running through the middle of it... :laugh:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
jimboalee said:
The only way, as I saw, the pavement cyclist's journey would be more dangerous, is if a 6 foot skinhead stepped in the guy's path and punched him in the jaw.

And of course the two window fitters with the sheet of glass. :laugh:

Unfortunately not. This sort of thing is why:

jimboalee said:
He went across the ped crossings and the sideroads without a hoot of concern.

Junction danger and complexity - just look how much more convoluted his route was, by your own words.

Trevrev

Veteran
Since i've been on this forum, it seems red light jumpers and pavement riders seem to piss alot of you off. Why?? Just let people do what they want to do. If they get killed jumping a red light.....Not your problem.........If someones riding on the path, why should it bother you !!! It gives cyclists a bad name i hear you shout !!! So what !!! Get on with your own life and forget what everyone else does............It'll all turn out ok in the end for you......Less stress and all.
Not alot bothers me........Even cars parked in cycle lanes...........I don't care. They have to park somewhere......they do pay road tax after all.........LOL.....
Reading this stuff does make me laugh.......

Trevrev said:
...!!! It gives cyclists a bad name i hear you shout !!! So what !!! Get on with your own life and forget what everyone else does............It'll all turn out ok in the end for you...

Having been a victim of a serious assault that was justified with the words "I know what cyclists are like" and deal with an investigating officer in another incident that told me cyclists shouldn't be on the roads and that they bring everything on themselves, I can tell you that other peoples attitudes and perceptions regarding cyclists can have quite a concrete effect upon the lives of others.

Stephenite

Membå
Fair enough point, Trevrev. Being a hairy-arsed bloke meself it doesn't bother me what people do as long as they respect others. And in this case it would be: if cycling on the pavement - give way to anyone on foot.

If that means you're smiling and saying excuse me every 10 secs, then you're being a nob - get off and push it. If you scare anyone you are a nob too.

The law in the UK states it's illegal to cycle on the pavement. That is ridiculous and should be changed, as everyone who has rode a bike has cycled on the pavement at sometime, and most people often do as it's safe and convenient. As almost everyone can ride a bike almost everyone has rode on pavements.

Bikes are not cars, horses or HGV's. They are a unique vehicle. Get with it, people.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Stephenite said:
The law in the UK states it's illegal to cycle on the pavement. That is ridiculous and should be changed, as everyone who has rode a bike has cycled on the pavement at sometime, and most people often do as it's safe and convenient. As almost everyone can ride a bike almost everyone has rode on pavements.

Bikes are not cars, horses or HGV's. They are a unique vehicle. Get with it, people.

Whilst agreeing with most of Stephenites origial post, I take issue with the lat two paragraphs. Law preventing cycling on pavements is not ridiculous, as long as it enforced in the way it was originally intended. If the law is not there a police officer will not have the power to ticket somebody that is cycling recklessly on the pavement, causing harrasment or distress too pedestrians etc. It (the law) should never be enforced for cycling on a pavement per se.

Bikes are not unique vehicles, when ridden by idiots or in an unroadworthy condition then they are dangerous.

If we want safer cycling in this country then it has to be promoted and seen as a viable means of transport / recreation as it is in other countries.

Trevrev said:
Since i've been on this forum, it seems red light jumpers and pavement riders seem to piss alot of you off. Why?? Just let people do what they want to do. If they get killed jumping a red light.....Not your problem.........If someones riding on the path, why should it bother you !!! It gives cyclists a bad name i hear you shout !!! So what !!! Get on with your own life and forget what everyone else does............It'll all turn out ok in the end for you......Less stress and all.
Not alot bothers me........Even cars parked in cycle lanes...........I don't care. They have to park somewhere......they do pay road tax after all.........LOL.....
Reading this stuff does make me laugh.......

I am hoping that this is irony!

I really do.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If it's not irony, it's not the shining light of intelligence, that's for sure.

purplepolly

Stephenite said:
The law in the UK states it's illegal to cycle on the pavement. That is ridiculous and should be changed

Excellent idea. Then the average driver will no longer tolerate having to overtake cyclists and, worse still, wait 5 seconds to overtake a cyclist safely when said cyclist could be cycling perfectly legally on the pavement.

Then it'll be drivers trying to run cyclists off the road and screaming "GET ON THE F£CK%NG PAVEMENT WHERE YOU BELONG AND GET OUT OF MY F£CK%NG WAY".

007fair

Did n't read the whole thread so probably repeating

common sense is the issue here not the letter of the law Anyone who thinks a young person should risk death riding on the fast busy dual carriageway rather than the wide fairly empty pavement is wrong
If the pavement is narrow and busy then if the cyclist cannot use the road they should puch the bike

In Glasgow they have attempted to provide off road cycle routes But many of these are ON walkways used by peds (underpasses, through parks etc)

But the big issue the provision for safe cycling routes
I was speaking to a guy from Germany and he said that you could almost cycle from one side of the country to the other on good cycle routes never having to use the roads In this coutry we are at least 30 years behind. I cannot vouch for this .. just taking him at his word!

The MP 's should address that not over the black and white of pavement cycling

jimboalee

HJ said:
I live in a civilised place that doesn't have a motorway running through the middle of it... :ohmy:

Thank F**k for the M40.

If the M40 wasn't there, I'd have thousands of tons of articulated trucks whizzing past my right ear.

jimboalee

Bentmikey.

Take a closer look at the Streetview piccie you posted on the 'on streetview' thread.

Off in the distance is a chap on his bike about to ride across the grass in the park.

You should have quickly jumped off your 'bent, run after him and shouted loudly "DON'T RIDE ON THE GRASS, YOU MIGHT HIT A BASEBALL PLAYER".

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
jimboalee said:
Bentmikey.

Take a closer look at the Streetview piccie you posted on the 'on streetview' thread.

Off in the distance is a chap on his bike about to ride across the grass in the park.

You should have quickly jumped off your 'bent, run after him and shouted loudly "DON'T RIDE ON THE GRASS, YOU MIGHT HIT A BASEBALL PLAYER".

I have no idea what you are on about!!!

Top Bottom