Targeted begging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Happened to me in Luton high street years ago. I was asked for a pound, and when I refused (I was a student) he shouted after me aggressively and started calling me names, saying I was "running away for a f$%cking pound".

Yes, and not the only issue. There's the difficulty in claiming state support (i.e., benefits), the absence of state-provided housing, and the general ridiculous unaffordability of rents. Mental health provisions are also lacking, and that lies behind a lot of street-dwellers' predicament. The idea that there's 'no need' for anyone to sleep on the street these days, so they must be choosing to do so, is laughably ill-informed.
While this is true, it might not explain the number of rough sleepers a person sees. I used to walk through the tunnels between Waterloo station and Waterloo bridge. There were always a great number of rough sleepers there, mostly begging.

One time I had to work on a Bank holiday. The tunnels were empty of other commuters ... and the rough sleepers. They obviously have somewhere better to sleep when there was no begging opportunities.

I am sure they were homeless, and the better place to sleep might not be much better, but it's worth knowing that homeless people who beg will hang out where there is foot traffic.

U

User482

Manchester is worse than I've ever seen it at the moment. I understand how people fall through the net because I've seen it with elderly folk who don't have the energy or ability or determination to get what they need from the NHS and Social Services, but I can't understand why it's necessary for people to sleep outdoors; surely there must be shelters? Or is it because they don't want to stay in the shelters?
Rough sleeping has doubled in England since 2010. I don't think it's because more people have suddenly decided that they prefer the outdoors...

Manchester is worse than I've ever seen it at the moment. I understand how people fall through the net because I've seen it with elderly folk who don't have the energy or ability or determination to get what they need from the NHS and Social Services, but I can't understand why it's necessary for people to sleep outdoors; surely there must be shelters? Or is it because they don't want to stay in the shelters?
Are you deliberately channelling Ebenezer Scrooge?

Charles Dickens said:
"At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge, ... it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
"Are there no prisons?"
"Plenty of prisons..."
"And the Union workhouses." demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"
"Both very busy, sir..."
"Those who are badly off must go there."
"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

classic33

Leg End Member
Here in Leeds it was very bad at one point in the city centre.You could be asked every few steps for money by beggers/Big Issue sellers who then wouldnt give you the magazine/Chuggers,etc.
It got so bad that it was putting off shoppers big style and the Police started giving beggers ASBOs and banning them. If they didnt comply they can go to prison.
I always direct people to support agencies if I'm asked.
There's five I've seen that are doing it because it's easier than working for the same money. One making upwards of £300 per day.

Always around the Corn Market area. Leeds is easier it seems.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
How common is targeted begging?

Over the decades I've seen a fair variety of low level crime in London but yesterday was the first time I was picked out on a train and asked for money when no one else was.

When I declined he didn't ask anyone else but moved to the next carriage.

Did you ask to see his ticket? ;)

Here in Leeds it was very bad at one point in the city centre.You could be asked every few steps for money by beggers/Big Issue sellers who then wouldnt give you the magazine/Chuggers,etc.
It got so bad that it was putting off shoppers big style and the Police started giving beggers ASBOs and banning them. If they didnt comply they can go to prison.
I always direct people to support agencies if I'm asked.

Leeds city centre was horrendous for Big Issue sellers at one point - I don't know if they were all official or not, but you're right that they were every 30 yards or so in places and it was clearly an unsustainable situation - we once counted 6 on the pedestrianised part of Briggate. Most were OK but a few could be quite aggressive (hence questioning if they were all official sellers).

Chuggers is a whole separate thread...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom