Tarka Trail (Devon)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
I an off for a much needed week's holiday with my Dad, Brother, his girlfriend, and Nephew in mid August. We are staying in Westward Ho. I would like to cycle part of the Tarka Trail whilst i am down there. Has anyone cycled it and got any recommendations/advice?

I will need to hire a bike and have done a bit of research, seems a company at Barnstaple Railway Station are a good place to hire bikes from.....

RebornBumbler

I've heard good things about the Barnstaple bike hire place, but not had any personal experience.

The main advantage the trail has over most local roads is the lack of hills.

It's also quite scenic in places, but in places the surface isn't amazing.
In my opinion the best section (that I've been on - anywhere between Braunton Burrows and Torrington) is between Bideford and Torrington (which both also have bike hire outlets).

Other than the occasional poor surface, main problems are pedestrians (often dog-walkers - sometimes with lead, sometimes without) and other cyclists. Make sure any bike you get has a bell, and use it until you get a response from walkers ahead of you.

To be honest, most of the hairier moments I've had have been groups (family?) of MTBers - who somehow fail to se me coming the other way until I'm about 4 feet away, and then forget which side they're supposed to be riding on (it's the left :smile: )

It's a beautiful area - have a great time!

Just seen the above - yes DEFINITELY visit Fremington Quay Cafe.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
It's a great route. Fine for the skinniest road bike as far as the southern end of Great Torrington, from where it gets more gravelly, so I go back to the roads (and hlls) there. But not a route for speeding along, as it can get quite popular for some for some distance south east of Bideford, with families on pootles on foot or bike.

Katherine

Guru
We've had holidays in Devon and really enjoyed cycling on the Tarka Trail. Cafe at Fremmington Quay is worth a visit but will be very busy in August. We used to start at Braunton and cycle round through Barnstaple. One year we hired a tandem which was fun, we found we went faster than on a single. Nice pub in Saunton on the trail.

P.S. lots of places to stop for a picnic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom