Tarps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anthony

I am looking at getting a new tarp to add to my touring equipment. I have searched the web and cannot really decide what to buy. So can anyone suggest a good tarp? My priorities would be for a light weight and a small pack size.

andym

Über Member
Have you looked at backpackinglight.co.uk? They do a DVD about tarps which looks (from the excerpts on their site) really useful as an aid to making an informed decision.

What exactly is the definition of a "tarp" and what do you use it for

I carry a homebase groundsheet (£4.50) that I use under the tent on campsites - If I am wild camping and the weather is good I just sleep on the groundsheet if the weather is poor I put the tent up

vernon said:
A tarp is a method of extracting more money per gram for less comfort per gram of tent material.

When you put it like that I think I have seen them - used by the people you find hiding in the toilet block when the weather is a little iffy

hubbike

It is seriously easy to make your own. you'll need a sewing machine. maybe your aunt has one? buy however much ripstop nylon you need. sew hems to stop it fraying. then either sew on tabs for guy ropes or punch out eyelets which you can buy inexpensively too. Very good, light hammocks can be made in much the same way too, exactly to your dimensions/requirements.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I have a DD tarp. I use it as a shelter to cook under if the weather is against me. I use trees and paracord to secure it. If there are no available trees I peg it down and use a trekking pole for support. It also makes a nice 'garage' for my bike on a night.

Best Bivvy thing I have seen

I met a guy bivvying above the River Inn in heavy rain - I saw him about an hour before I came across him parked up for the night in a picnic area and he was riding with just a small rucksac with a thing that looked just like a medium sized fishing net attached to his back.

The "net" thing unfolded/uncoiled to become a waterproof wizards hat 5ft tall and and 6ft at the base in diameter. It seemed to keep the rain out no problem and he seemed pretty comfy -pretty rubbish photo it was very dark under the trees

hubbike said:
It is seriously easy to make your own. you'll need a sewing machine. maybe your aunt has one? buy however much ripstop nylon you need. sew hems to stop it fraying. then either sew on tabs for guy ropes or punch out eyelets which you can buy inexpensively too. Very good, light hammocks can be made in much the same way too, exactly to your dimensions/requirements.

The homebase groundsheet I have came with eyelets and I did put it up in the garden with bungy cords and luggage straps - but I have never tried it in anger like that - I am a sceptic but open to "options"

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I used to camp for weeks on end as a squaddie, all under a tarp fashioned from a military poncho - bungee'd and paracorded to nearby trees - Ray Mears stylee.

I usually sleep in the one man tent now, but if it is a clear night I sleep under the tarp, so I can look up at the stars.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

ComedyPilot said:
I have a DD tarp. I use it as a shelter to cook under if the weather is against me. I use trees and paracord to secure it. If there are no available trees I peg it down and use a trekking pole for support. It also makes a nice 'garage' for my bike on a night.

CM, do you find the dd tarp a good size? I like the look of it but I think 3m by 3m seems quite big. I only really want the tarp for cooking under when the weather is bad, a shelter to keep out of the rain when I don't want to be stuck inside my tent, and a bike 'garage' like you mentioned.

I was also looking at the msr e-wing. Has anyone had experience with that? It is extremely light and compact but it seems quite expensive and is it too small? Any thoughts?

Top Bottom